DEVILS v Blaze - Tue 26 (FO 6pm - home) & Wed 27 (FO 7:30pm (away) ) Dec 2017 - League - Chat/Updat

It’s not a case of dropping to their level, it’s about ensuring our skill can continue in games that involve rough stuff. I’m not convinced our “skill” is that much better than most other teams. We have individuals who have unquestionable talent, as a team, complete package, it’s not fully firing on all its potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil94

You might be right that the team isn't still firing on all cylinders, I also think this team has more to offer. But to still win 10 on the bounce, while we still have more to offer? I can't see another team in the league come close to that.

I can't see another team in the league come close to that.
At this point l cannot either, not with the opposition being so inconsistently bad.

Traditionally we struggled with Coventry, it’s well known they have been difficult to beat, you are supposed to learn from the past, not continue to repeatedly repeat it. So whilst one poster claims my statement is lacking knowledge, I’d suggest his is lacking so much more.

I don’t believe it’s down to the league improving, if quality across teams was equal, then results should reflect that equality.

Should we be physical, well I like watching 5 on 5 hockey and with most games having over a period of power plays, the answer is NO, not until we get consistent officiating.

I grew up watching "crash and bang" 3 or 4 fights per game hockey for now nearly 30 years. The changes to the game with fighting becoming less of a thing can be a hard transition or have been for me but i'm really trying.
I love the skill level, love the speed but also love the rough stuff.
I believe the reason people are not entertained this season is that I think the standard of the league as a whole has dropped hugely from last season.
With the exception of fife i think that conference is garbage.
Devils certainly wouldn't have won 3 trophies last year with this years team.
Games against sheffield and Nottingham last season were some of the best I've ever witnessed in this country.
Not so this season.
Speaking to some "hardcore happy clappers" last night who feel the same and also said entertainment level has dropped.
Not trying to upset anyone but thats how i feel.

pjj365

I just wonder, based on the assumption that the league has improved and is more balanced, whether we are playing a canny game

I actually believe the overall quality is better except in one key area - officiating.

With DOPS doing its job properly it does not pay to get too many reviewable penalties. But with the reffing there is no guarantee of what will/will not be called. So maybe we are right to "suck it up" and not add to an injury list with suspensions

Gazza272

At this point l cannot either, not with the opposition being so inconsistently bad.

Traditionally we struggled with Coventry, it’s well known they have been difficult to beat, you are supposed to learn from the past, not continue to repeatedly repeat it. So whilst one poster claims my statement is lacking knowledge, I’d suggest his is lacking so much more.

I don’t believe it’s down to the league improving, if quality across teams was equal, then results should reflect that equality.

I'd have probably used a different example if you were trying to show off your knowledge.

you say we have 'traditionally struggled with Coventry' and we should 'learn from the past'

since Lord has been coach this has been our overall record against Coventry before this season:

Played 39. Won 31. Lost 8. a couple of those losses were in OT so we still picked up points.

I mean I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make here?

august04

I grew up watching "crash and bang" 3 or 4 fights per game hockey for now nearly 30 years. The changes to the game with fighting becoming less of a thing can be a hard transition or have been for me but i'm really trying.
I love the skill level, love the speed but also love the rough stuff.
I believe the reason people are not entertained this season is that I think the standard of the league as a whole has dropped hugely from last season.
With the exception of fife i think that conference is garbage.
Devils certainly wouldn't have won 3 trophies last year with this years team.
Games against sheffield and Nottingham last season were some of the best I've ever witnessed in this country.
Not so this season.
Speaking to some "hardcore happy clappers" last night who feel the same and also said entertainment level has dropped.
Not trying to upset anyone but thats how i feel.
I agree. We keep hearing that the league has improved this year (I’m sure I’ve heard Kelman and Lord say by 20%). I think that’s a load of bull. Up until this season, I would agree that the league has made huge strides but not this past off season.The 2 expansion teams have made it deeper but the overall quality level has definitely dropped in my opinion. Now that could be due to the £ falling against the dollar (and the Euro) post Brexit referendum and what level that buys you in the new player market now. If “hardcore happy clappers” are saying that the entertainment level has dropped, then it’s time to take notice of that if I was involved in the running of this club. It’s OK saying the game has become more skilled and less physical but let’s face it, most of the pros playing in the UK are of average ability on the world stage. Their skill level is not going to be as high as the top end players whose undoubted skill can possibly compensate for the lessening of the physical aspect of the game elsewhere. For us in the UK, the skill sets aren’t at that lofted level. They don’t compensate for the lessening of the physicality, which could be one cause of many fans saying that the entertainment level is dropping this season.

Ocko

Teams being inconsistent or games being close doesn't mean the standard hasn't gone up. It seems that unless there is a bloodbath and we blow teams away that the standard has apprently gone down. Also, the poor form of Steelers and Panthers seems to be a benchmark or the standard. I just can't understand why, to me that means it has gone up, a greater parity across the board with the exception of Dundee and Edinburgh every team can beat another on a given day. Thats 10 teams slugging it out, no one will walk any team and that's a good thing.

Players were signed from the old CHL a few years ago, players who weren't good enough got ECHL hockey, now we recruit legit AHL and top ECHL players, as do most other teams. The standard has gone up immeasurably. We have a player with a few NHL seasons under him, still in his prime and he doesn't stand head and shoulders above the rest of the team. Most teams also roll 4 lines, that was miles away a few years ago.

I know we all have different opinions but it baffles me how people think the standard hasn't gone up. The speed and skill is at a crazy level.

august04

Teams being inconsistent or games being close doesn't mean the standard hasn't gone up. It seems that unless there is a bloodbath and we blow teams away that the standard has apprently gone down. Also, the poor form of Steelers and Panthers seems to be a benchmark or the standard. I just can't understand why, to me that means it has gone up, a greater parity across the board with the exception of Dundee and Edinburgh every team can beat another on a given day. Thats 10 teams slugging it out, no one will walk any team and that's a good thing.

Players were signed from the old CHL a few years ago, players who weren't good enough got ECHL hockey, now we recruit legit AHL and top ECHL players, as do most other teams. The standard has gone up immeasurably. We have a player with a few NHL seasons under him, still in his prime and he doesn't stand head and shoulders above the rest of the team. Most teams also roll 4 lines, that was miles away a few years ago.

I know we all have different opinions but it baffles me how people think the standard hasn't gone up. The speed and skill is at a crazy level.
Absolutely agree historically. But not for this season on last season's level strangely for me anyway. Legit AHL/ECHL level players have been recruited for a few years now, with the odd ex NHLer thrown in for good measure too. This past 3 or 4 years, we've seen that kind of player become the norm and I would say continual phenomenal improvement year on year seen right up until this past off season. The Scottish teams bar Fife are a joke this year and a definite downgrade on last season. Guildford did not recruit high end players but are performing well, that’s to be commended but also tells a story. Same for MK who brought in some good EIHL pros, combined with a few college players just starting their pro careers. Not too many legit AHL level players in the new teams from memory of their offseason recruitment. Honestly, the Dundee team that came here recently didn’t even look fit (!) , with at least a couple carrying excess timber. That’s just not acceptable at this level anymore. The arena teams are still carrying those higher end players but I would still say overall the quality amongst those rosters is not up to last year. The teams that seemed to have improved to me are Manchester and Coventry - but they’re coming from a much lower start point I suppose.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

No way in a million years has the league improved, Steelers are worse, Panthers are worse, Clan are worse, Dundee are worse, Edinburgh if poss are worse, 2 new teams are pretty neat, Storm are better, poss Fife, Blaze about the same, Giants about the same. I am enjoying my hockey, but wish it was a bit more physical, we don’t have many characters anymore, I certainly don’t sit on my seat edge so often. Personally I would lose 2 teams, and have 1 league of 10.

In no way am I saying steelers and panthers are a benchmark, im saying games against them last season for me were hugely entertaining, whether there were fights or not the skill level and compete levels were incredible and I came away blown away by the quality of ice hockey I had witnessed. Not so this season.

I'd have probably used a different example if you were trying to show off your knowledge.

you say we have 'traditionally struggled with Coventry' and we should 'learn from the past'

since Lord has been coach this has been our overall record against Coventry before this season:

Played 39. Won 31. Lost 8. a couple of those losses were in OT so we still picked up points.

I mean I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make here?
It was a reaction to phill PHT on Page one regarding my pre game comment and his comment concerning my lack of knowledge.

Teams being inconsistent or games being close doesn't mean the standard hasn't gone up.
Yes it does. I’ll put it in terms you may understand. If Jack Sparrows black pearl sinks a Royal Navy frigate, your Royal Navy hasn’t improved.

It seems that unless there is a bloodbath and we blow teams away that the standard has apprently gone down.
Nobody is calling for a bloodbath or out of control body checks and cheap shots. NHL/AHL players should be consistently better than players of equal age from lesser leagues.

The standard has gone up immeasurably.
No it hasn’t.

We have a player with a few NHL seasons under him, still in his prime and he doesn't stand head and shoulders above the rest of the team.
Rubbish. If he was in his prime he’d still be in the show. The fact he isn’t and instead is in Cardiff means he’s actually not good enough for the top leagues, unless someone “Showed him the money”, far more than anybody else did. If we loose several players next season to the NHL or l see some top scouts watching games, then I’ll agree, we have immeasurably improved our standard.

I know you play, so l won’t state your talking out of your butt hole, but with all due respect, in my opinion your over exaggerating quite a lot.

Gazza272

It was a reaction to phill PHT on Page one regarding my pre game comment and his comment concerning my lack of knowledge.

I know, I quoted you.

I still don't understand what point you were trying to make about us struggling against Coventry though? I've demonstrated that hasn't been the case.

pjj365

Putting a business that on the product does seem to have improved as evidenced (south of the border) by improved gates and consistent near sell outs

A point that has been put before but if the newbies were hankering after old time hockey they would not come back - but they do

This is 21st Century hockey - we need to get used to it

Wannabe2

Well how wrong can you be, there I was shooting my gob off about how the hell can you shoot twice in a penalty shot, how can you shoot in a rebound, only to find out the first shot was fanned on, so the supposedly second shot,was in fact the first shot. Oops.

Putting a business that on the product does seem to have improved as evidenced (south of the border) by improved gates and consistent near sell outs

A point that has been put before but if the newbies were hankering after old time hockey they would not come back - but they do

This is 21st Century hockey - we need to get used to it
Its no guarantee that fans won’t get bored and walk. I don’t need to tell you that you need to be ahead of potential issues, sitting back assuming your revenue stream will continue is asking for trouble.