Best Brit player ever

Ocko

How was Chinny the biggest waste, is that directed at letting him go, if so spot on.
Sort of linked to him leaving; we didn't let him go. He chose to leave and if I remember rightly didn't exactly say the best things. I could be wrong but didnt he leave for 'bigger and better things' in his opinion - the Steelers.

I always felt his attitude held him back. IMO he could've been a better player than he ended up. He had it all and should've been a great, like Longstaff or Weaver but instead faded away into the BNL.

august04

Nicky Chinn is without doubt the most dominant Brit I’ve seen. He was unplayable on his day, and even flourished at Superleague level, when so many Brits couldn’t. In a recent interview on the Old Time Hockey podcast, he alluded to a falling out with then coach Paul Heavey, which resulted in him leaving for the Steelers (that and they offered more money!). Such a talented player, with a bit of an ego too, although I don’t mind that if you can back it up. As Ocko said, he should have been the dominant British force in the game for much longer than he was.
In terms of value and service to the Devils, it has to be Richardson.

Nicky Chinn is without doubt the most dominant Brit I’ve seen. He was unplayable on his day, and even flourished at Superleague level, when so many Brits couldn’t. In a recent interview on the Old Time Hockey podcast, he alluded to a falling out with then coach Paul Heavey, which resulted in him leaving for the Steelers (that and they offered more money!). Such a talented player, with a bit of an ego too, although I don’t mind that if you can back it up. As Ocko said, he should have been the dominant British force in the game for much longer than he was.
In terms of value and service to the Devils, it has to be Richardson.
In the Old Time Hockey interview (always a good listen) his falling out with Paul Heavey over player recruitment led to him leaving the second time around.

The first time, he thought that Cardiff were taking advantage of him as a 'local boy' and Sheffield offered him a greater salary. It sticks in the throat when you consider who he signed for - but I guess that you couldn't blame him.

I always thought that Chinny was exceptionally skilled - and it annoyed me a little that coaches (and maybe Chinny himself) pigeon-holed him as a tough guy power forward.

august04

I don’t blame any player leaving if they can get a better deal elsewhere. The Coopers played that card perfectly many times and rightly so. It can be a short career (although not in Chinny's case!) and you have to make the most of it. At that time, for me he was the no.1 Brit and as good as most imports. Often easy to underestimate the local guys thinking they’ll never leave. We've let a few good ones go over the years but managed to somehow keep hold of Richardson for most of his career (bar a couple of blips!), even in the dark days. His loyalty and longevity has been incredible but as importantly, so has his contribution to our success. That’s why he takes top spot for me.

I listened to the Chinn podcast when it came out and it was interesting tohearhim say that Lawless told him, Stone and Cousins? That they wouldn't make the grade because they started skating/playing too late (age 13/14).
When you think of it that way it is quite incredible what they achieved!!

kingmo19.1

Great thread this one and very tough. Here's my take:-

Best Brit ever - Tony Hand, no argument, full stop.

Best Devils Brit, narrowed down to Chinny, Stevie, Stoney, Richie.

Joint 1st - Chinny. Unplayable at best, could do it all - and at ISL level. Stevie - excelled at ISL level.
2nd - Stoney - Enough said.
3rd - Richie.

I've placed Richie 3rd as the ISL was a higher level than the EIHL and the 3 players named above shone in that particular league.

Honourable mentions to ..... I Cooper (again performed in the ISL), S Cooper (reliable and tough), Jeff Smith (decent in his HPL days).

Agreed. I don’t know enough to put those players in order, but I must say that Ben Bowns has to be on the shortlist.

Surprised he hasn’t been more people’s choice to be honest, maybe a change in titles to the Best Brit Player/s ever or in each Decade, it’s tough to narrow one individual over such a long period of so many great players & performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk