Man, I wish he'd stayed...

Lindman and Weller hands down ....sublime .....both head and shoulders above anyone in our league when they played

Others I would love to had longer
Brigley
Biz
Chasse
Pelle
Michel......loved his work ethic and grit
Elich
Teplitsky one of my favourites

Player who would I would love to see closer to their prime ( they were great as they were by just imagine)
Caprice
Hodge Jr
Smail

And a little shout out to Kip Noble who has been one of my all time favourites

jimmy snels

Tyson Teplitski is someone id love to have played longer, man he was a smooth D man!
Weller is probably the best D man I've seen and those two together would still probably be the best in the league now!!

Forwards pelle was an absolute sniper we miss nowdays and id like to have seen more of both elich and biz. Tylor michel is someone is was gutted had gone. He was a devil all day long but ended up as a squeeler!

Opposition wise id like to have seen colt king for us. He was someone i really liked to watch

Temme

Tyson Teplitski is someone id love to have played longer, man he was a smooth D man!
Weller is probably the best D man I've seen and those two together would still probably be the best in the league now!!

Forwards pelle was an absolute sniper we miss nowdays and id like to have seen more of both elich and biz. Tylor michel is someone is was gutted had gone. He was a devil all day long but ended up as a squeeler!

Opposition wise id like to have seen colt king for us. He was someone i really liked to watch
I would have loved to see Leigh Salters (Braehead version) come and play for us.

I agree with Tylor Michel, played a massive big body game in a small frame and could score for fun.

Some very impressive players people have posted on here and being a devils fan from 1989 and season ticket holder from 1995 I remember them all well. Some great players - it’s hard to name one. Travis Brigley was awesome- gutted when he got the call for the NHL.But for me Mike MacWilliam was something else. Two years at our club wish we had him for twenty. Not only could he play but I’ve never since seen one player do “his role” better. I remember Steelers had there “hard man” bealieu destroyed by Mike in front of there fans thrown around like a rag doll.Would of loved to have seen simmsys face. And mr blaisdell needed a pack of wet wipes when he moved quicker than a concord to stand back on to the bench when he went for him after he opened his mouth- panthers “hard man” Darcy Loewen didn’t want to no.

The season after he retired we suffered the nieckars and vials thought they were the bollocks. Big Mac would of kept them both in place- every time they played at the WNIR they acted like bullies. Many times I looked at vial and thought I wish you played against us when mac was here. At least ware gave vial a good clip! I would even say since the start of the elite league the tough guys that have played in our league Mike was still head and shoulders above them all. That even includes vother, biz, and bordy. McMorrow would not of dared wearing the sheriff sticker and Cam janssen would of regretted going for marsh.

Off the ice he was a Christian and such a warm nice guy and like I’ve said not only do he on ice “role job” perfectly but he could play .

Wannabe2

Mac .was a mate and fellow player of Nieckar, they played together for the Grizzlies. Bealiau was a joke big guy but a joke, as for vial goodnight Dennis. As for Mc morrow he wouldn't have got Macs shirt over his head, his trademark the little shit. Mac would have handed his arse on a plate.

Mac .was a mate and fellow player of Nieckar, they played together for the Grizzlies. Bealiau was a joke big guy but a joke, as for vial goodnight Dennis. As for Mc morrow he wouldn't have got Macs shirt over his head, his trademark the little shit. Mac would have handed his arse on a plate.
Totally agree with you about everything you said. Imagine vial doing his dirty shit to then turn around and see Mac charging for him! Yes I know mike and Barry were mates and former teammates which I think would of stopped nieckar throwing his weight around against us ... in particularly Hurley

Ocko

Dennis Vial was a quality enforcer. He would've fought MacWilliam without question and worry.

They never fought each other in their careers but it would've been a close fight. The last season Mike was in the IHL he took a pasting from Paul Laus, a few weeks later Vial drew with him in a good fight.

Mac was the champ when he was here, but there was also little competition. With the exception of Schulte there were no real heavyweights in the league.

To go back to Paul's original post...Claude Dumas will never be a favourite of mine as he had the unfortunate fate (in my eyes) of being an inadequate replacement for Rick Brebant (or indeed Steve Cadieux and Steve Moria).

Dumas seemed a panic signing having spent the previous season at Trafford after being released by the Steelers.

Anyone who played in the 94/95 European run should hold special standing...but I think it was a signing that JL was almost forced into making after the plan to bring Moria back to replace the departing Brebant was scuppered by Swindon.

Dumas started the season on the first line - but was shortly dropped to the second line playing with Nicky Chinn and Peter Smith.

That move did allow me to see Doug McEwen play his best ever season as a Devil playing Centre between Hilton Ruggles and Ian Cooper on the first line. When you consider how magic Doug always was as a Devil - it was breath-taking to watch him really put the Devils on his back that season.

His goal in the 6-6 tie at Sheffield (when we were cheated out of a win by an awful penalty shot decision) is still one of my favourites - and of course, the 'Rocky Sacahnuik goal' happened that season.

wildthing74

Apart from the goalie my all time favourites if they could have been on a line together have had a mention. What I would give to have seen
Herlofsky
Lindman Noble
Smail McEwen Hodge

Loads of great players over the years but when guys had a year,two or maybe longer I would have not thought that is what this thread is about.

Agree with JD Dumas was a huge disappointment for me and was never close to following the likes of Brebant & Moria.He tore us a new one a few times in Whitley especially one playoff game that stopped us making Wembley but wasn't close to that sniper with us.When your top centre gets bumped to the second in the days of limited imports it's never a good thing.

Yewchuck got a mention and I liked him even if Wannabe wasn't a fan.He was part of a great line with McCarthy & Sacratini(if memory serves?) and played a good role taking a battery in the crease.I would have loved to see him for a second season.That was a special team he was on and it's hard to fault any of them especially when we finally got it together when we brought in Hodge & Thornton.

These old threads are awesome and reminds us of so many great guys we had the pleasure of watching representing the club we love.

I've not been watching the Devils as long as a lot of posters here, but the 3 that stand out for me in my time are:

Tyler Michel - will never forget one game where he skated straight down the middle of the ice and 3 separate players tryied to take him out and they all pretty much bounced off him.

Chris Frank - I am probably in the minority here with this one, but I really enjoyed the toughness he brought to the blue line.

Brent Walton - Great goal scorer, with a sadly cut short Devils career (glad to see he is playing again now though)

Wannabe2

I actually really liked Dumas,I know imports in those days put up big numbers, but this really wasn't poor.
Played 43
Goals 65
Ass 42
Points 107, 2.5 pts per game.
First and only season with a new club, I liked the man.

They already left the KHL and joined the EBEL in the summer. With respect to Brine, he wouldn't of got a KHL deal anymore.
He was (Brine) really highly rated by Ben, but EBEL is ranked 7th compared to the EIHL lowly 14th but after our recent CHL games I hope this changes, I know this year things have massively improved in terms of player quality.

BostonBart22

Jason ruff , ex belfast, it was a case of wish he stayed but didnt arrive,,am i right in thinking devils already had his shirt printed and the auctioned it off..lol

Devil_Abroad

The antithesis of the 'worst player' thread - who is the Devils player who was here just for a fleeting time that you wish had become a staple on our roster?

We have the obvious candidates (Ulmer, Brigley) but outside of them, who is the guy you wish had played more than a few games or more than one season for us?

I have three:

Jim Brown (2002-3 season) One of the most skilful, likeable and 'hockey' players I've ever met, and I think could have been so influential. Think Brent Walton before Brent Walton.

Alan Schüler. The most flawless D-man I think I've ever seen, though Richie runs him close. Amazing, calming influence on our team.

Steve Cadieux. Another obvious one, and the most famous for us greybeards. From his ridiculous debut, to his love and passion for the game and our fans, to just the way he played the game. The man was built to be a Devil.

Now all I have to do is wait for JD to approach me on the gantry on Saturday and say the famous words 'Rick Brebant'. :D

So - who's yours?
I loved watching Cadieux - effortless hockey & silky smooth - had everything but size. When I first saw Martin 2 1/2 years ago in Sheffield I thought I was seeing the new Cadieux though Martin looks busier - the Ulmer came a year later and there’s Cadieux again in a bigger much older body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk