Mark Heatley - Employment Tribunal Case v Storm

Gazza272

Interesting reading and one that I am surprised that Manchester let get dragged through a public Tribunal. Reasons again to be grateful for our wonderful owners and management.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...665d88f6ba9/Heatley_2403161-2017_15-11-17.pdf

Having a read through I'm not really sure how much of it is a poor management issue. In fact the club wins most of the claim.

Seems there was a discrepancy over damage to the company car and some parking fines.

It did make me chuckle that Danny Heatley was buying his brother some hockey sticks. Share the wealth and all that :D

trapped

Thread starter #3
It is more a reputational thing Gaz, for the sake of a few hundred quid, I cannot believe for a moment that we would ever let that go through a public Tribunal. Ultimately it is a petty squabble over some damage to a car and a few additional hockey sticks. Not something that incoming players want to read or worry about when looking at recruitment for future years.

He also wins two of the three main issues and the only reason he doesn't win on the sticks is because he has no evidence to substantiate that he used 30! in a season... That seems high to me, but can anyone with genuine knowledge comment?

I also enjoyed the fact that Dany was buying the sticks and his brother was claiming for them! Couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

Gazza272

It is more a reputational thing Gaz, for the sake of a few hundred quid, I cannot believe for a moment that we would ever let that go through a public Tribunal. Ultimately it is a petty squabble over some damage to a car and a few additional hockey sticks. Not something that incoming players want to read or worry about when looking at recruitment for future years.

He also wins two of the three main issues and the only reason he doesn't win on the sticks is because he has no evidence to substantiate that he used 30! in a season... That seems high to me, but can anyone with genuine knowledge comment?

I also enjoyed the fact that Dany was buying the sticks and his brother was claiming for them! Couldn't make it up.
Apologies, i read the 3rd judgement as another one for the Storm, but it's Heatley who was ruled in favour as you state.

yeah it is odd that this got as far as the court. Interesting to see how much Heatley was earning as well!

Leighton

Yep really shocked at how low paid he was. I know he wasn't a top end player but that is a lot lower than I expected for an elite league player.
Whats that work out at as a package? perhaps 28-29k a year?

and we get down on these guys when they don't perform like NHL'ers....

kingmo19.1

With the minimum wage being GBP 7.50hr (for age 25 and over) and multiplying that by 35 (average weekly hours), that equates to GBP 262.50 week.

To be on <100 more than the minimum wage is pretty dire for a 'professional' sportsman. Yeah, I know about the car and the other bits and bobs but for disposable income, that's pretty naff. I certainly wouldn't be putting my body on the line for that sort of money.

It’s for around 15 hrs work a week, I’m assuming the motivation is enjoying the sport and the recognition within the Ice Hockey community. I’m also assuming most at that level have other income streams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Temme

Makes you think twice about signing players that come for an MBA - you pay them less, (but really pay the same as the University takes a chunk), and in return supposedly get a better player - that is more concerned with his MBA than his hockey, as hockey is paying him peanuts.
If players stay on past their MBA at a team - then fair enough there's clearly some level of commitment from the player, but if someone comes for 1 year on an MBA earning £425 a week, where's the motivation for that player to perform?

They're not gonna sack him if he's crap as he's on a uni deal!

Temme

On the subject of money - Elite prospects has a new(ish) jobs section that you can see who is advertising what - yes it had been mentioned a million times elsewhere....
http://jobs.eliteprospects.com/

Interesting to see, when advertising, how much each team is offering, as most of the british clubs were using it during the off season.

Ocko

Good for you guys. But obviously there are plenty of people out there who would get out of bed for that. I might not get out of bed for what you earn but I certainly wouldn't brag about it on a forum.

but if someone comes for 1 year on an MBA earning £425 a week, where's the motivation for that player to perform?

They're not gonna sack him if he's crap as he's on a uni deal!
For playing the sport you've dreamed of sometimes a lesser salary isn't the worst thing in the world. I'd pay to play for the Devils just for one game, let alone receive a salary. Sometimes money isn't everything. Just like many jobs their motivation is they are professionals in what they do; I've worked with soldiers in Afghanistan on a pittance in relation to what they do. Were they any less brave or dedicated because of what they earnt? Absolutely not. That's why coaches would put a lot of work into recruiting the right character.