Cardiff Devils v Sheffield Steelers - Sat 16 Dec 2017 - L:eague - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Gough60

Comfortable, confident win for DEVILS tonight.
All players contributed to an easy team winning performance. There is clearly a problem
with the men of rust as to a man looked as if they wanted to be were anywhere other than on the ice.
Didn't see the fat estate agent all night though he probably had head up the arse of Mr. Steelers who
was at the game.
P45's all round?

wildthing74

Anybody seen the Sheffield Steelers as that mob was not a Steelers team we have seen over the years?

Thompson and in fact his sidekick Jerry looked completely devoid of ideas on the bench and the was zero energy and it just felt like they had resigned themselves to defeat as soon as Faryna made it 3-0.No reaction at all not even to try and get a few of our guys in the box and no way is that team playing for him right now.

The buck stops with him and he recruited these guys and has no excuse as all are his own men and he has had the time to build the team but one wonders if he is untouchable?

That being said we looked like we could have gone on and given them a hiding at 4-0.Part of me understands keeping some gas in the tank for tomorrow but the other part of me thinks we should have gone on and spanked them just like they have done to us over the years.The final score flattered them.

Faryna looked like he had not been away and had hands down his best game for us and showed now we have the full compliment of imports we can put Lord on the bench as let's be honest he can do more there to influence the game.How any guy can try and play and coach in this league now is beyond me.

Glad Rutkis got some shifts as he won't learn much watching from the bench and we made sure he was out with good players so he was not under pressure if he did make a mistake.Piggot also brought his usual energy and hit every time he was out and it's good to see guys making selfless plays for the team like that.

Bowns super composed in the little he had to do and having Haddad back just makes us a better team all round.

I love beating them more than anything but weirdly tonight felt a bit flat.Even the bar was pretty empty although that may have been down to the entertainment put on by IAW?

Steelers were awful last night, but I did think that Marquadt played well. Well rounded player and clearly very difficult to move. Other than that, they were very poor. Armstrong and Roy barely appeared on my radar for the whole game.

Awesome performance from the devils- I think to say the Steelers were a poor team tonight actually takes credit away from the Devils - they definitely werent at the height of their performance we've seen so far this season but they were most definitely trying - there was good solid end to end hockey tonight, but the Devils dominated the play and both forwards and defence were on fire
To say the Steelers were poor takes away from the fact that the Devils got it right tonight - and played as a team creating opportunities and closing down the opposition

Finny

I actually didn’t think Sheffield were as bad as some people are making out. We were simply better than them.

The effort from Sheffield was there and they had some good spells. They just looked like they didn’t have a plan or any confidence. They perked up a bit after getting their fortunate goal but our PP came at just the right time to kill the momentum. And when I expected them to come out at start of 3rd full of energy it was us who did so and dominated the first 5 mins to kill off any thoughts of a come back.

It does look like Thomson has lost the dressing room and we can only hope that Simms can convince Tony Smith to extend his contract further.

jimmy snels

We really turned up last night. Thought we looked hungry for the puck and defended as a full unit. Thought all of our D men were brilliant.
Farayna drives the net all night EVERY night. Im not suprised he gets so many tap ins and tip ins. He lives in the dirty areas others dont want to be, but is regularly rewarded for it. Moose in goal for them defo didnt like that approuch either.

Thought sheffield were terrible. Those sweedish league lads to a man looked shite. Surely thomo must carry the can for the awful recruitment and continued passionless displays? I was sure at 3 down they'd try to make it a war, start off the puck stuff, run bownsy etc. They've always done this. But they sat their and let us tickle their bellies and thomo didnt seem to care less!! Long me he remain their coach

Wannabe2

I actually didn’t think Sheffield were as bad as some people are making out. We were simply better than them.

The effort from Sheffield was there and they had some good spells. They just looked like they didn’t have a plan or any confidence. They perked up a bit after getting their fortunate goal but our PP came at just the right time to kill the momentum. And when I expected them to come out at start of 3rd full of energy it was us who did so and dominated the first 5 mins to kill off any thoughts of a come back.

It does look like Thomson has lost the dressing room and we can only hope that Simms can convince Tony Smith to extend his contract further.
That is exactly as I saw it, sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition lets you, and we gave them sod all, Steelers needed Fitzy to crank it up a bit last night, but in his mask that wasn't going to happen, thinking about it maybe it was lucky for him, as our number 88 is sure looking mean at the moment, feisty little bugger when he has the bit between his teeth. Same again tonight please.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

august04

I disagree with those saying Sheffield weren’t so bad. They were appalling. Totally clueless, lacking direction and clearly not playing for Tom and Jerry, and as Wildthing74 mentions, I thought we could have gone on and thrashed them if we had a mind to. There was certainly much more in the tank from the Devils if they needed it.
Matthieu Roy looks a shadow of the player he used to be. Keep it up Thommo, a new 3 year contract from Tony for Christmas please.

What a difference having a few guys back makes. Faryna - outstanding. Haddad - outstanding as ever! Guys making hits even in the last minute of the game. That was one of the best team performances I’ve seen this season.

The best hockey buzz I get is from beating that lot. Thanks guys - more again tonight please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast

Although that wasn't the Steelers at their best, for parts of the game they did look like the Steelers of old. They didn't know what hit them in the first period as the early goal and Devils relentless forechecking threw them of their game. In the 2nd period they look liked the Steelers of old and dominated the play but Devils did what they learnt to do against the CHL teams and kept the shots wide. I think in the third period Steelers were out of ideas and out of breath. Though they kept trying, good cycling by the Devils in the O zone, some great saves by Bowns and good clearances by the D sealed the game as a comfortable win. Lord knows that the Steelers can get back in a game very quickly so the defensive 2nd period was the right strategy in my view. So for me the win was down to spot on coaching and a great team performance but hey this is the inferno so lets not focus on the positive. (braces self for happy clapper accusations)

ASHIPP

As for Thommo, as the legendary Dave Simms would say, gone by Xmas?!
Thompsom won't be gone......but he may be realising that some recruitment decisions are not paying off at the moment.

At one point during the game I wasn't sure whether I was watching an ElHL game or the Swedish Hockey League - so many Scandanvians on that roster! Jerry Andersen's recruiting influence at work here but let's be honest, the finesse, non-contact qualities of a majority of those players have not worked on a Steelers team known historically for a determined, gritty style.

Infact, Steelers have lost most of the players who provided that element of their play - Desbiens (left before season started), Ramsay, Deveraux and even Ronneberg who was at least a big presence at the back. Fitzgerald ' s influence on lastnight's game was hampered by his return from injury.

Mind you, how many people were ready to write off the Devils when they lost 4-0 to Steelers earlier this season? Still a lot of hockey to be played.

The Devils have found some mojo and their heads are in the right place at the moment. That's all that matters.

Last edited:

RedDevil17

Thompsom won't be gone......but he may be realising that some recruitment decisions are not paying off at the moment.

At one point during the game I wasn't sure whether I was watching an ElHL game or the Swedish Hockey League - so many Scandanvians on that roster! Jerry Andersen's recruiting influence at work here but let's be honest, the finesse, non-contact qualities of a majority of those players have not worked on a Steelers team known historically for a determined, gritty style.

Infact, Steelers have lost most of the players who provided that element of their play - Desbiens (left before season started), Ramsay, Deveraux and even Ronneberg who was at least a big presence at the back. Fitzgerald ' s influence on lastnight's game was hampered by his return from injury.

Mind you, how many people were ready to write off the Devils when they lost 4-0 to Steelers earlier this season? Still a lot of hockey to be played.

The Devils have found some mojo and their heads are in the right place at the moment. That's all that matters.
I know he won’t be gone. It’s a joke! Mind you, most Steelers fans want Thommo out ASAP. Recruitment has been awful for the Steelers. They need to realise this league isn’t really matched for the European style. Edinburgh tried it with the Russians and it didn’t work. Steelers have tried it with the Swedes and Fins and it clearly hasn’t worked. Every other team have gone with a hard hitting Canadians and Americans team and it’s worked. Glad to see Faryna back. He played awesome and I like that Faryna Crowder and Haddad line which gets into the gritty areas and gets goals too. Gutless to target Joey Martin. If you’re going to fight go after our fighters rather than our best player. Good 2 points overall. Same tonight hopefully

Last edited:

Earnie

No , that was not the Steelers team we have grown to really tussle with. They just did not know how to deal with us. As our injured players are being drip fed back where they belong we are getting stronger. Haddad and Faryna are such impact players.
Fitzy was there last night but understandably did not achieve anything very much. Just a trial run I think.
Our returning players on the other came back with all guns blazing.

ASHIPP

Congratulations to Fife who won in Sheffield last night. Flyers have an insane number of games in hand and are playing very well - they could end up in a higher position if they continue like this.