Worst devils player ever

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #1
There must be some contenders for worst ever devils player. Not someone you didnt like or didnt live up to the hype but were genuinely awful at hockey. Having been a fan for only 4 years I cant really think of anyone who makes the list

Ocko

Robert Milette will always get that title with the longer term Devils fans.

I'd also put Todd Gillingham and Brian Lietza right up there. Along with a few from that Pope and Ragan year like Gipters, Rama etc.

Wannabe2

Without a shadow of a doubt Robert Millette, this guy was so bad it was untrue. He played 9 games for us, and funny enough had 7 points in those games, but those stats in those days sucked.

tim78

I'm sure his first home game goal was because he couldn't stop whilst skating to the net. The puck bounced off him and went in!

I' recall the Nottingham fans being upset that we got an NHL player (I'm sure he was touted as an ex-NHLer) and they had to settle with a Lambert!

Ejercito Rojas

Pretty much the vast majority of the 2001/02 (fake Devils) roster were dreadful but not many people actually witnessed the abject performances.
Also Jason Rushton was an awful ‘hockey player’ who also had an appalling attitude (allegedly).
However, nobody was quite as bad as the incomparable Robert Millette, he had it all , the hockey wife, complete with fake fur coat, the turtle neck sweaters and Sports jackets, overcoat draped over the shoulders he was even a Chicago Blackhawks summer camp attendee apparently. But ‘his legs had gone’ and he must have smoked about 60 Gitannes a day because he looked like he was going to throw up every time he came off the ice!
Folklore hero!!!!

Mark Lewis - 88/89 wasn't great. Signed from Southampton Vikings that summer - but a delayed start because of a broken leg - he then played 1 game for us and promptly left.

Steve Condron was similar...signed with some fanfare - and promptly left for Richmond Flyers after about 6 games.

Ditto Chris Newton. Not a bad netminder but seemed to have a problem settling. Although his actions for Peterborough on our last goal in the Championship winning game were brilliant.

George Swan would probably make my like. Lots of effort - but not much else.

Steve Nell as the worst signing maybe??!

Last edited:

JT666

However, nobody was quite as bad as the incomparable Robert Millette, he had it all , the hockey wife, complete with fake fur coat, the turtle neck sweaters and Sports jackets, overcoat draped over the shoulders he was even a Chicago Blackhawks summer camp attendee apparently. But ‘his legs had gone’ and he must have smoked about 60 Gitannes a day because he looked like he was going to throw up every time he came off the ice!
Folklore hero!!!!
It doesn't look like he has improved much since...

BostonBart22

not worse player but worse play ...phil hill.. turtled for a big guy many times especially when brad cruishank attacked all our brits, the only one that didnt turtle that day was mark richardson...

Wannabe2

We once signed a player from Milan Devils who had gone into liquidation, named Tony Fiore, Lawless flew him over, picked him up at the airport, booked him into the Marriott which was next door to the WNIR, we were short staffed and he was to play the following night, however that same evening he had a call saying Milan had been saved, and could he return, which he did the following morning. Now he had signed, he was here, but never played for us, so maybe he also qualifies for one of the worse players we ever signed.

terry hunt

I'm sure his first home game goal was because he couldn't stop whilst skating to the net. The puck bounced off him and went in!

I' recall the Nottingham fans being upset that we got an NHL player (I'm sure he was touted as an ex-NHLer) and they had to settle with a Lambert!
If he had a braking system who knows

kettdevil1

Still don't believe Jason Cugnet was actually a goaltender. He just put the kit on once and no one asked any questions.
The most amazing thing was that we actually re-signed him!!!

I have blocked from memory all of his netminding and remember him for two things now.... playing on the wing during the playoff final, third place game and skating out of his net to attack (I think) Jeremy Cornish when we played the London Racers a few years back.

Gazza272

The most amazing thing was that we actually re-signed him!!!

I have blocked from memory all of his netminding and remember him for two things now.... playing on the wing during the playoff final, third place game and skating out of his net to attack (I think) Jeremy Cornish when we played the London Racers a few years back.
Believe me i remember vividly sitting in Gretzky's the night whistle Announced we had signed him again. All dreams i had of us winning anything flew out the door of the WNIR that night!

He was good value on the fighting though, his dust up with Vogel was decent entertainment as well. but when you are praising a goalie more for fighting and playing on the wing, it shows how deep that lack of talent went :D