Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sun 26 Nov 2017 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

jimmy snels

It is slightly annoying that people never fully appreciated our win in Belfast.
I personally only comment on games i watched. U must appreciate not everyone has a family member playing so buying every web cast is a bit much for my wallet so i mnl it on occasions. U might find if it was a home win there would be a lot more fan fair about it

pjj365

I do not call out players and I tend to the optimistic side of life (so happy clappy!) - I'm still there with games in hand but in the longer run we may regret last weekend. There is a hill to climb

But Lordo

I have said it a number of times - he needs to get on the bench to fully see what is going on. This might be his preference anyway as he said in an early season interview that he did not feel he was the energy player he was. But be a!so said there were better players than him this year. This might mean going shirt benched for a while but it might be worth it in the long run - and that might be next year

After all we have been spoilt recently and the club is ahead of the owners target for trophies

Being happy clappy I would say time and end of season will tell. In the meantime I'm staying on the roller coaster

Rob Batch

I personally only comment on games i watched. U must appreciate not everyone has a family member playing so buying every web cast is a bit much for my wallet so i mnl it on occasions. U might find if it was a home win there would be a lot more fan fair about it
It's the same for me this year (wallet-wise), but i did fork-out for that one. I have to pick-n choose the games I pay for so enjoy MNL too. I have said before how difficult it can be to express what you really mean, but everytime I watch the Devils I expect a win. I can see the problems that everyone sees, yet I still feel positive. I have recieved an invtation from Specsavers but declined!

Wannabe2

The less experienced fans may enjoy the games but It would pretty poor business to turn a blind eye to the fact that a large number of your season ticket holders are bored and frustrated by the on ice product. They're the backbone of the business.

I've been a season ticket holder for about 10 years now and have hardly missed a game in that time. This non physical pretty hockey we play under Lord is not what i enjoy or want to see. Its boring.
Of course i want to win cups but most important for me is to be entertained on a nightly basis by the on ice play. Recently we seem to to rely on the opposition to bring some entertainment while we plod along.

I cant even bring myself to watch Lords interviews post game these days. Same old sterile rubbish every time. Show a bit of passion rather than having a team of robots.
Well I have been going since game one, 31 yrs actually so I ain't no less experienced fan, and I quite enjoyed long periods of last nights game, yes we ain't physical enough, and that's a drag as physical hockey was what I was brought up on, but we were 5 secs away from beating a very good tough team, and that's fact. I certainly don't like to see my team bullied as that sucks. We sure ain't in a good place at the moment, and our club must know that, and our off ice team are winners for sure. Now we kicked arse in 3/4 of last seasons cups, but that don't give us a god given right to do that again, we play like total crap at times, as do Steelers, Panthers, Giants and the rest of them. I ain't in the market for defending a team that frustrate the shit out off us at times, but bigger clubs than us suck at times. Entertaining games for me are paramount over everything else, winning trophies are a pure joy for sure, at the moment things are certainly not right that's obvious to anyone with a brain cell, and a .6 winning % ain't what we are all about. This is just my take on things, and certainly won't be others opinion, but if we had won last night and taken a 4 point weekend, that wouldn't have made things hunky- dory, but would have gone some way to saying we are still in the mix, and believe me ( or not ) we are still in the mix. I am frustrated as much as anyone on here, but our latest history shows that when we are down we turn it around. I would like someone to say who are heads and shoulders above us, Panthers slightly better possibly, Giants probably on par with us, we beat them convincingly at theirs, Steelers a huge not, Storm no way, Clan suck, Fife good but that's it good, Blaze well their fans are not happy bunnies, and the clubs not yet mentioned are respectively not ripping the league up, and that's no disrespect to them, as they are capable of beating anyone. So getting back to us, as we are all that matters, we need improvement everyone knows that, but we certainly don't suck, I have watched quite a few Devils teams that did, and were pretty dire to watch, but never improved, this team will, we may not win this trophy or that trophy but we will be there at the end, of that I am certain. So is it time to slit wrists, commit Harry Carry, or throw ourselves into the Taff, not yet folks, lots of hockey still to play, and we are their right in the mix. For those that see it differently, we all have our opinions, and they are all valid.

pjj365

Well I have been going since game one, 31 yrs actually so I ain't no less experienced fan, and I quite enjoyed long periods of last nights game, yes we ain't physical enough, and that's a drag as physical hockey was what I was brought up on, but we were 5 secs away from beating a very good tough team, and that's fact. I certainly don't like to see my team bullied as that sucks. We sure ain't in a good place at the moment, and our club must know that, and our off ice team are winners for sure. Now we kicked arse in 3/4 of last seasons cups, but that don't give us a god given right to do that again, we play like total crap at times, as do Steelers, Panthers, Giants and the rest of them. I ain't in the market for defending a team that frustrate the shit out off us at times, but bigger clubs than us suck at times. Entertaining games for me are paramount over everything else, winning trophies are a pure joy for sure, at the moment things are certainly not right that's obvious to anyone with a brain cell, and a .6 winning % ain't what we are all about. This is just my take on things, and certainly won't be others opinion, but if we had won last night and taken a 4 point weekend, that wouldn't have made things hunky- dory, but would have gone some way to saying we are still in the mix, and believe me ( or not ) we are still in the mix. I am frustrated as much as anyone on here, but our latest history shows that when we are down we turn it around. I would like someone to say who are heads and shoulders above us, Panthers slightly better possibly, Giants probably on par with us, we beat them convincingly at theirs, Steelers a huge not, Storm no way, Clan suck, Fife good but that's it good, Blaze well their fans are not happy bunnies, and the clubs not yet mentioned are respectively not ripping the league up, and that's no disrespect to them, as they are capable of beating anyone. So getting back to us, as we are all that matters, we need improvement everyone knows that, but we certainly don't suck, I have watched quite a few Devils teams that did, and were pretty dire to watch, but never improved, this team will, we may not win this trophy or that trophy but we will be there at the end, of that I am certain. So is it time to slit wrists, commit Harry Carry, or throw ourselves into the Taff, not yet folks, lots of hockey still to play, and we are their right in the mix. For those that see it differently, we all have our opinions, and they are all valid.
Never saw you as happy clappy - well said

backrow

I don't understand the reluctance for Lordo to stay behind the bench for awhile because of the tendency to shorten the bench in most games anyway.

kingmo19.1

Take me back to that season we had in the BBT, with Hendrikx and Mychan - ok we didn't end up as Champions but for entertainment it beats the current sterile bore-fest into a tin hat. Furthermore, for all the good about IAW, it can't hold a candle to the BBT for atmosphere.

Boring (sterile while) venue hosting a boring team. ZZZZzzzzz.

My hard earned will be going on Cardiff City from this point - a team of battlers who give 100% each week.

Perhaps Lordo needs to spend some time with Warnock.

kettdevil1

Take me back to that season we had in the BBT, with Hendrikx and Mychan - ok we didn't end up as Champions but for entertainment it beats the current sterile bore-fest into a tin hat. Furthermore, for all the good about IAW, it can't hold a candle to the BBT for atmosphere.

My hard earned will be going on Cardiff City from this point - a team of battlers who give 100% each week.

Although the counter argument was that, because they were put together to perform in the BBT, that team were brutal to watch away from home.....

ASHIPP

You are right about the atmosphere at the IAW. It's as inconsistent as the team's performance. I sat in a block the other end of the arena from my usual seat during the Giants' game.....disappointing that there was literally only a handful of people chanting, shouting or reacting in that small block.

Is it the acoustics in the building that dilute the atmosphere? Is it the team performance? Or is it that virtually half the crowd are either new fans or casuals that don't get the audience participation?

The atmosphere and intensity inside the BBT is one of the few things I miss about the place.You could hear comments being shouted from all over the rink, and anyone could start a chant and the crowd would join in.
Devils' teams played to that intensity and were lifted/driven on in their performance.

The best atmosphere bar none in the IAW so far was last year's CC Final against Sheffield. And why? 1600 die hard Devils' fans packed together in close quarters around our goal end and team benches. And most of them would have been season ticket holders IIRC the ticket allocations.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Great atmosphere, but sadly in a shit hole, with lousy sight lines, toilets that stunk with huge queue's, but it was home, just a lousy home, with lousy owners. Really don't get the boring team, we certainly lack physicality, and a bit more Grit wouldn't go amiss, but some of our hockey is really good, and that's were we differ. I couldn't for the life of me pay money to watch a boring team like our neighbours down the road, to me that's 90 minutes of life that you can never get back, you can sit there freezing your Nutts off for 90 mins + and not see one goal, and a bunch of Primma Donna's rolling around on the ground, trying to cheat the ref in the name of sport, no comparison to me. As for battlers try asking those dudes to play two games in two days, they would be horrified and would think you were loopy loo. If Cardiff city had players with the skill of Martin,Hotham,Haddad,Faryna,Fournier, Ritchie, now that would be a different story. Things in our gaff ain't as good as they should be, but I believe they will be sorted,as for the battlers down the road, a bit of success wouldn't go adrift.

august04

Although the counter argument was that, because they were put together to perform in the BBT, that team were brutal to watch away from home.....
Take care of business at home first and foremost and please the thousands of fans who pay their hard earned cash into their own club's coffers in the process. Then pick up the odd point here and there on the road and you’ll generally have a very good season, as we did that year in 2014-15 in fairness, winning the CC and coming so close in the league, plus being very entertaining too. So we flopped in the play offs that year - that can happen to anyone in that Mickey Mouse format. Winning isn’t everything for me (although I’d still prefer us to win every game!), never has been. I’d rather go to the game and come away having been thoroughly entertained. I have to say, that’s been a rare occurrence this year I’m afraid.

Last edited:

jimmy snels

I agree and to say you cant play that way in the IAW is bull. What did belfast do to us on the weekend!?
Farayna is arguably the most entertaining player to watch. He drives the net everytime (hence why he's scoring so many goals - a few others might want to take note), gets in dirty areas, makes hits, fights his battles. You watch him and think "he's giving 100%". And that last year in bbt i thought that most home nights about almost every player. Teams are made up of many different parts. The reason we were successful last season was we had a number of different people in different roles. For me we have to many jack of all trades and masters of none in our team this year. Our pk is a prime example where brine and bordy were extreemly good, and cj played a decent role on that as well. This year martin seems to take more and more pk minutes (tiring him out more at the wrong end imo).

On a side note Id love to get mychan back but he wont be whilst lord is coach. Its plain to see he wants controlled emotions and passivness. Which is extremely frustrating when you look back to how lord himself played when he came here. Ive got 3 of his shirts i used to love watching him play so much!!

Temme

As much as i enjoy watching the slick hands and flashy plays, "new era" hockey has taken alot away from what the game used to be.
Lords interview: what is he watching???? He himself used to be a bull. Now he's like a kitten. Players like martinelli should be dealt with BY LORDO. He's not scoring and is our most experienced fighter. Players need to offer something else if they're not contributing in scoring. If he feels he cant then a team mate should be doing it. If we had pushed a giant into the boards like batch had done to him (accidental or not) the giants would all be in there throwing punches last night. Was sad to see a devils team so passive.
Im not a fan of our style of play at all. I knew before this season started i was going to get extreemly frustrated with this team if we werent winning as it had non physical written all over it. In general ive started to lose my passion for going to games and find myself entertained only in small passeges of play where we move the puck quickly and show some real skill.
Was good to see farayna step up but im also getting peed off with watching us lose any fights we do have. We have zero intimidation factor. It wasnt lost on me how many giants went bumping into farayna afterwards as well letting them know they were there including vandermeer butt ending him infront of a lino off the play who did nothing.
Need to pull the trigger and change players now. And change the way we play to actually entertain the sell outs turning up.
Also ulmer mom? Who picks these!?

I didn't bother Sunday mate, first game in ~9 years that i've voluntarily missed.

Watched a cracking episode of Blue Planet 2 instead.

zoesdevil

I do not call out players and I tend to the optimistic side of life (so happy clappy!) - I'm still there with games in hand but in the longer run we may regret last weekend. There is a hill to climb

But Lordo

I have said it a number of times - he needs to get on the bench to fully see what is going on. This might be his preference anyway as he said in an early season interview that he did not feel he was the energy player he was. But be a!so said there were better players than him this year. This might mean going shirt benched for a while but it might be worth it in the long run - and that might be next year

After all we have been spoilt recently and the club is ahead of the owners target for trophies

Being happy clappy I would say time and end of season will tell. In the meantime I'm staying on the roller coaster
I think at this current time I'd throw Piggsy on instead, he always throws 110% in & throws hits!!!

Leighton

I think at this current time I'd throw Piggsy on instead, he always throws 110% in & throws hits!!!
I would second that (says he that has no coaching or playing experience) Piggsy puts in a shift whenever he's on the ice and i'd be tempted to see what happens with the roles reversed.