Match Night Experience

solelace84

Thread starter #1
I’m seeing a few people on the forum complaining about the monotony of match night.

Common gripes appear to be: the same songs are repetitive and boring, zorb football is no longer entertaining, chuck a puck *yawn.

I think the devils match night entertainment is far better than most others in the league, but I agree that they could mix it up a bit from time-to-time (especially the music) to keep it entertaining.

So my question is, what are your ideas to make it more interesting/original/entertaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

I actually like our game night experience, and think it's probably better than most, in fairness I am in the bar in period breaks, but I enjoy the music that's played. Obviously the main event is the hockey, but I think the guys do a good job in between the action. I actually think quite a few away fans are a bit envious of our match night experience.

solelace84

Thread starter #3
I actually like our game night experience, and think it's probably better than most, in fairness I am in the bar in period breaks, but I enjoy the music that's played. Obviously the main event is the hockey, but I think the guys do a good job in between the action. I actually think quite a few away fans are a bit envious of our match night experience.
I definitely agree that we have one of the better entertainment routines in the league - I’m just curious to see what changes people think could be made to satisfy them, as some fans here are not happy with it.

I have to admit that the music irritates me sometimes - week in, week out, the same songs. I’m not sure if the majority of fans are happy to stick to what they know with the music? They probably are. After being a professional DJ for many years, I’m extraordinarily particular about music, so I’m probably part of the minority with this gripe!

pjj365

IIRC Paul Sullivan changed some of the music - maybe last year or even the year before

There was an outcry

What fascinates me is that just about wherever you go and whichever overseas stream you take there is a core of the same music. I'm not averse to change but really don't care that much

solelace84

Thread starter #5
IIRC Paul Sullivan changed some of the music - maybe last year or even the year before

There was an outcry

What fascinates me is that just about wherever you go and whichever overseas stream you take there is a core of the same music. I'm not averse to change but really don't care that much
Are people satisfied with the music being changed once a year/every 2 years?! Fair enough.

Really this post was a way of getting the people complaining about MNE, to elaborate re. their gripes, and to suggest what could be done differently.

Earnie

If you take the row of lights running from goal to goal - the row nearest the penalty box - there were 6 out of 18 lights not working since August.

Two weekends ago they were still extinguished , now they have been replaced and it made a lot of difference. It took a while but well done IAW

Devil94

Yes I would say the music definitely needs a shake up. Between the breaks in play I find the music very repetitive week in week out.

The best music I would say is a mixture of old traditional hockey/devils/organ songs , and then current 'pop' songs for younger fans/newcomers. There are quite a few songs we play that are neither.

kingmo19.1

Yep, the break in play music is greeting tragically repetitive. If I hear that naff song with the lyrics 'rinse repeat' just once more I'll go insane!

Agree with Devil94 above. Come on Devils - give it a refresh!

ASHIPP

Would agree - I have heard about 'match night experience' in other barns and they sound very uninspiring. Many of the Scottish fans really enjoy their experience down here. Todd, Paul and all the off-ice team and volunteers have done a terrific job - I am sure that some of the suggestions and ideas they want to try have been limited by 'Elf and Safety' aspects in the IAW. Frustrating for them. If I had to be really nit-picky, I don't particularly like any of the current warm-up music for the team or the tunes they skate out to at the start of p2/p3 but that's just my own personal preference. The previous tracklisting was really great. Bring it back!

I'd be much more concerned about the inconsistent and sometimes soulless atmosphere during some of the games this season - something that the off-ice team cannot be responsible for.

Last edited:
Thread starter #11
I’d personally love to hear SOME of the classic devils tunes, a few more classic rock/some newer metal/rock songs, some CURRENT pop music for the young ones and new fans. I do love the new organ pieces that Paul has incorporated into the playlist. But the song selection seems a bit outdated. I remember two tracks from Sunday that really stood out: 1) RATM - killing in the name. I was genuinely shocked, in a good way, to hear a that. Love that.

2) gangam style.... really?! I’m pretty sure everyone I know hates that song.... may as well play that annoying frog song from the early 2000’s

Obviously with 3000+ people, of all different ages in the building, it’s hard to please everyone, all of the time. It just sometimes feels a bit TOO cheesy. I’m sure Paul doesn’t have time to compile a new playlist every single week... but come aaahn!

Thread starter #12
Would agree - I have heard about 'match night experience' in other barns and they sound very uninspiring. Many of the Scottish fans really enjoy their experience down here. Todd, Paul and all the off-ice team and volunteers have done a terrific job - I am sure that some of the suggestions and ideas they want to try have been limited by 'Elf and Safety' aspects in the IAW. Frustrating for them. If I had to be really nit-picky, I don't particularly like any of the team warm-up music or the tunes they skate out to at the start of p2/p3 but that's just my own personal preference. The previous tracklisting was really great. Bring it back!

I'd be much more concerned about the inconsistent and sometimes soulless atmosphere during the game on match night at some games this season - something that the off-ice team cannot be responsible for.
Why do people want to hear the same music all the time?! Am I alone in wanting variation each week?! Ultimately, I’m there to watch hockey, not to criticise the playlist... but it adds to the entertainment.

Also, I think it’s difficult to recreate the atmosphere of that from the BBT, in a building that has zero identity. It would be so much better if the rink owners would allow for some minor, cosmetic changes in and around the rink, but let’s not go over that issue again!

We are lucky to have what we have compared to some other teams (could be worse, we could be at the skydome every week), but there is always room for improvement!

They could try :

1) College Olympics.
2) Hockey playing Bears
3) Human Bowling
4) Score 0

Improve sound system, Lighting and bring in someone who knows how to format music, no disrespect to Paul. Improvements will cost money and not bring more revenue. I would suggest improving WiFi would actually help as a lot of people would spend time on their devices and less time noticing the same repetitive music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sorry but the only ‘match night experience’ I’m really interested in, is the bit that goes on when the teams are actually on the ice!!
I really couldn’t give a monkeys what music gets played when the puck is out of play. It’s just a sideshow of a sideshow.
Fix the ‘match night experience’ of the dour lacklustre hockey please.

Earnie

Motor bikes were not a success!!
Zorb football produces a laugh but doesn't light my fire.
Chuck a Puck far better
How about a performance from our ice dancing school once a month as an alternative to ZF ?

I much preferred it when Paul was on the mic. Todd is just too over the top for me. I recall Paul mentioning he was going to play more Wurlitzer music this season, which for me is the way to go, although it hasn't happened yet.

The_Puck

To improve atmosphere in the arena, i feel there needs to be a boomerang corner behind the goal in block 4. This will cause fans to chant and the whole experience i feel will improve.