Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sun 26 Nov 2017 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

RedDevil17

Poor game from both teams and to concede with seconds to do was tough. Lack of physicality really worries me once again we got bullied. We’re missing that spark to get us going. How long till we see reactions from dirty plays/hits?? This team is nowhere near capable of challenging for the league and we’ll be lucky to make top 4.

The_Puck

WOW, Hockey can be a cruel game and tonight showed it. IMO, i don't think Belfast deserved 2 points as we dominated some parts of the game. Some people are saying we need to retaliate more to cheap shots, but which team got more penalties. Hicks should've given at least 3 10 minute misconducts against Belfast. If the league want to protect referees from abuse, they need to be more stricter against players. Overall, i thoroughly enjoyed the game, but we need to be more clinical up front and we also need to be able to close out games like we did last season. Our focus is now towards Manchester away on Saturday.

ASHIPP

Absolutely cruel to be forced into overtime 5mins before end of regulation.

Keefe must have thought Christmas had come early. I absolutely detest the Giants for their dirty play and constant whingeing but I admire them too. Boy, no pratting about doing fancy stuff when they get possession...they are so fast on the breakout and shoot at every opportunity.

They have mental strength not to get down if they are behind. They knuckle down and have the confidence to turn it. One goal more is all that's required to get the result.

Devils worked very hard but gave Giants too much space. At times early on in the game, it felt that Giants were permanently on the powerplay, with Devils pinned.Giants kept two d men on point taking shots and their 3 forwards were all buzzing around the goal or screening Bownsey. On the break, Giants were not really challenged by any forecheck/backcheck until into p2.

Another big difference tonight between the teams was the finishing. Last year in overtime and shootouts, Devils confidently nailed those situations and seemed score GWG in the first couple of minutes. Things looked overcomplicated on O/T and not a single successful shot in shootout.

This year, there are some terrific skaters and puck carriers on the team - so many of those moves ended in turnovers or lack of finishing tonight.

Pity - upside is that the team got a point from a cruel game. Downside is that they lost a bit of ground against Giants in league and conference.

For the newcomer, tonight's game had everything...and the jerseys looked good.

Last edited:

pjj365

Poor game from both teams and to concede with seconds to do was tough. Lack of physicality really worries me once again we got bullied. We’re missing that spark to get us going. How long till we see reactions from dirty plays/hits?? This team is nowhere near capable of challenging for the league and we’ll be lucky to make top 4.
And yet taking games in hand we are still in that mix

pjj365

"For the newcomer, tonight's game had everything"

Friends of friends with us tonight. Husband - 2nd game and loved it. Wife - Austrian and loved it but she's going home next week for a week so trying to get to a game to compare with what she remembers as a youth before she came to the UK a while ago. She thinks the 2 Devils games she has seen compare well

So yes, a fair comment

RedDevil17

And yet taking games in hand we are still in that mix
The way we are playing I can’t see us winning anything this year. Recruitment in the summer was poor. We need to start HITTING and RETALIATING. We wonder why our players get injured! The lack of physicality hurts us. Look when Faryna threw that hit it forced a turnover and Batch was in. The games in hand are tough ones which I honestly think we will lose. This team has to step up big time...it’s almost Christmas!!

kingmo19.1

"For the newcomer, tonight's game had everything"

Friends of friends with us tonight. Husband - 2nd game and loved it. Wife - Austrian and loved it but she's going home next week for a week so trying to get to a game to compare with what she remembers as a youth before she came to the UK a while ago. She thinks the 2 Devils games she has seen compare well

So yes, a fair comment
For the regular ... game was good, but the match night experience (for me) is getting a bit boring and repetitive now - somebody needs to use their imagination and freshen it up.

Zorb Football - getting a bit tedious now. Chuck a puck - Yawn! ... Same old stuff every game. They are not bad ideas, but it's just too repetitive ALL THE TIME. Talking of repetitive - jeez, it would be nice to have some variation in the break-play music! Feel I know that play list off by heart now.

august04

It’s strange how we all see things so differently. I enjoyed the first period but found the rest of the game hard work to watch with not particularly inspiring play from either team, played in a very quiet IAW. At times, Giant's discipline was appalling and they should have been punished more for so many displays of petulance against the officials. Saying that, they do play a physical game, which I enjoy more and I must say, I’m getting a bit fed up seeing the Devils get hit around on home ice game after game. I'll settle for a 3 point weekend though as I thought the Giants might take the win tonight beforehand. Feels like we threw a point away though after conceding late like that.
I’ve totally reset my expectations for us this season. This team is simply not strong enough or I’m sad to say, quite good enough to compete for the league title. It doesn’t look like this is being addressed by the management now in terms of chopping and changing players so I guess it is what it is now. Time to just enjoy every game and not get too beaten up when we lose. We are badly missing Louis and Haddad. Anyone know if either is close to a return?

Strange atmosphere tonight, seemed really quiet and subdued and never really got going, the game had goals, niggles and a fight but that felt the same, like it didn't really burst into life, unless it was just me.

And can we have Louis back please in place of Paris, I would take a injured (I assume) Louis over him

jenks33

Obviously we’re missing Haddad but another issue for the Devils at the moment is Matt Pope. To be fair I think he looked good before his injury but he just hasn’t found any kind of form since. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still not 100%. He was obviously brought in to put up high numbers and we’re crying out for more from him at the minute.
Anybody else find Paris really frustrating on the PP? He reminds me of Fulton Reed from Mighty Ducks. Absolute howitzer from the point but god knows where the puck will end up. One out of five

jimmy snels

I find belfast to play a fiesty, dirty game. Lots going on off the puck. This was allowed to continue by hicks who was down right awful (again...). We also have no one in our team willing to stop it in this scenario. Martinelli should have been held accountable tonight. He hacked and whacked our lads all night and blatantly slashed our star man martin a number of times. I hate watching us lose but i hate watching us get out hit in our own barn and people blatantly taking the mickey not sorted out more.
Need louis and haddad back asap

bb1

Well played Giants. Out hustled, out worked and physically dominated us. Completely deserved what we got.

Justin Faryna, Gleason Fournier and Ben Bowns take a bow. Superb performances by those guys. How Ulmer got MOM is ridiculous he didn't appear once after regulation which to me says it all. One of the above deserved it.

Lord obviously has to play because we have injuries but is a shadow of his former self and no doubt can no longer cope with coaching and on ice duties. League is far too good now. To see him take the crap dished out by Martenelli all night sets the tone for the rest of the guys I'm afraid. He should eventually go back to bench and sign a younger guy in the mould of the way he used to be for us! That would give us the jump we need.

All I'm hearing from fans in the crowd and on social media is how boring our style is. I have to say I completely agree. We are a strange team that have been brilliant or awful = ZERO CONSISTENCY losing way too many home games so early on and we can't find a way to change a game. I'm seriously bemused by this year team.

ASHIPP

It’s strange how we all see things so differently. I enjoyed the first period but found the rest of the game hard work to watch with not particularly inspiring play from either team, played in a very quiet IAW. At times, Giant's discipline was appalling and they should have been punished more for so many displays of petulance against the officials. Saying that, they do play a physical game, which I enjoy more and I must say, I’m getting a bit fed up seeing the Devils get hit around on home ice game after game. I'll settle for a 3 point weekend though as I thought the Giants might take the win tonight beforehand. Feels like we threw a point away though after conceding late like that.
I’ve totally reset my expectations for us this season. This team is simply not strong enough or I’m sad to say, quite good enough to compete for the league title. It doesn’t look like this is being addressed by the management now in terms of chopping and changing players so I guess it is what it is now. Time to just enjoy every game and not get too beaten up when we lose. We are badly missing Louis and Haddad. Anyone know if either is close to a return?
.600 hockey will give you anything between 5th and 7th place which is where the Devils were before the weekend. Got to have a very strong home record and pickup key points on the road to be any better than that. Let's not delude ourselves. Think we need to face the fact that several teams really are more consistent than ours.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

As I said earlier in the thread it will be a 3pt weekend ..looking at the fixtures next weekend 3pt weekend again ..the quicker we get louis and joey back the better. Need fresh legs ASAP. ..

BostonBart22

Did anyone see what happened to taffy on the Belfast bench..looking from where I was it looks like he had a misconduct penalty and sent down the changing rooms.