Nottingham Panthers v Cardiff Devils - Sun 19 Nov 2017 - League - FO 4pm - Chat/Updates

kettdevil1

Pull the goalie when Panthers on a power play. Why?
If you are going to lose then far better to go down in a blaze of glory!! We actually had a few chances before the ENG so if they had gone in then Lordo would have been hailed a genius..... I have no criticism at all of him on this call.... roll the dice I say....

matbur

Ah, poor weekend. Giving up a ton of goals, penalities. Our performances are erratic from one week to the next. Big week of training and preparation ahead.

DevilDom

For 2 periods we were pretty good although that was largely due to around 2/3 of the team working their absolute bag off. In the 3rd the fact we ran out of steam was almost inevitable and Panthers just upped their game and capitalised. There are just too many Passengers on this team for us to be consistent. Whether that’s because they are just not good enough or not putting enough effort in I don’t know for sure but hazard a guess that it’s a mix of both. I feel sorry for the likes of Hotham, Fournier, Martin, Strachan who are being flogged in games to make up for the under performing players. Won’t be long before they start picking up injuries as a result.

If you are going to lose then far better to go down in a blaze of glory!! We actually had a few chances before the ENG so if they had gone in then Lordo would have been hailed a genius..... I have no criticism at all of him on this call.... roll the dice I say....
If you're down by 3 with 4 minutes to go it's a no brainer, pull the goalie and take your chances, down by 2 with 4 to go is the wrong thing to do at that point. If you're down 2 with 2 min left then by all means pull the goalie but with 4 min to go it's far too early. There's still the opportunity to score 2 in 4 min but that was not a good decision. Not the reason for the loss but need to keep your team in it as long as you can

For 2 periods we were pretty good although that was largely due to around 2/3 of the team working their absolute bag off. In the 3rd the fact we ran out of steam was almost inevitable and Panthers just upped their game and capitalised. There are just too many Passengers on this team for us to be consistent. Whether that’s because they are just not good enough or not putting enough effort in I don’t know for sure but hazard a guess that it’s a mix of both. I feel sorry for the likes of Hotham, Fournier, Martin, Strachan who are being flogged in games to make up for the under performing players. Won’t be long before they start picking up injuries as a result.
It’s the same players working their bollocks off and the usual suspects making no difference whatsoever.

Tonight we played the team that will win the league. Panthers are head and shoulders above any other team this year....and in a rich groove of winning.

Championship winning teams develop consistency and find ways to win in any situation. Again, Panthers were behind 3 times tonight and finished in style. They are superior in every department.

The Devils needed a match-up to gauge how they compare to the Panthers now.
The difference between the two teams is night and day. A bit like the difference between last season's Devils'team and this year's.
That's a very nice thing to hear, especially from a fan of last season's impressive championship team... but I think you might be over-egging it a little... and certainly too early! (we're not even 1/3rd of the way through the season yet...).

The difference between this season's Panthers team and last season's is the 'night and day' that you mention. We have no passengers whatsoever - not one. Every last one of them plays as a full part of the team... even when the team is misfiring somewhat!

"Superior in every department"?? - not the powerplay, that's for sure! LOL
Our PP has occasionally been exceptional, has generally been abysmal... today was the latter. We did actually get one PP goal from 7 attempts... but that was with an empty net! At least you lot managed to get past an actual netminder... :)

This Panthers team is a delight to watch (most of the time!) and has massive potential... and yes, there is every chance that we could win the league this season. But your lot played hard and well for the first two periods... quite frankly, you were more effective than we were during that time. Maybe the Devils were tired in the 3rd, maybe we wore you down, I don't know... but that's where we capitalised.
They say that the sign of a superior team is that they can win even when they don't play at their best... OK, yes - that's what we did today. So... were we the better team? I'd like to think so, but we can't just assume so.

I for one am not going to take any game against your lot for granted... Panthers/Devils games are rarely easy and never dull... points from them can never be regarded as easy pickings. We'll be hosting the Devils again in 3 weeks... and I expect another hard fight.

ASHIPP

It’s the same players working their bollocks off and the usual suspects making no difference whatsoever.
And this is a major worry. Our really skilled players will consistently play at their best if they are utilised properly and rested properly.

The guys who are named (Joey, Hoth, Strachs and Fourns) can clearly eat up minutes but this is not really an effective way to achieve results if it is repeated frequently.

This is because the same small group of players are not only being flogged to death but are exposed to situations that other players on the roster getting much less icetime will not have experience of handling well.....because they have less icetime.

Deliberately shortening the bench happens a lot in close games...but other players need to be trusted. Corey does this really well with his entire rostet....and they respond with rocksolid confidence in their performances.

The system of 'rolling' defence pairings has been utilised during Richie's injury/absence. How effective is that now? I noticed that Richie and Hoth were hardly paired together against Fife. Our most effective d-pairing diluted.

kettdevil1

If you're down by 3 with 4 minutes to go it's a no brainer, pull the goalie and take your chances, down by 2 with 4 to go is the wrong thing to do at that point. If you're down 2 with 2 min left then by all means pull the goalie but with 4 min to go it's far too early. There's still the opportunity to score 2 in 4 min but that was not a good decision. Not the reason for the loss but need to keep your team in it as long as you can
Tell that to Chris McSorley!

Different folks and all that.... but for me the game had swung away from us at that point and although it was a gamble, it could have changed the momentum if we had pulled it off. It didn’t work but.... I wonder if Jamie, Lordo etc would have been criticised for being too safe if we had done the normal thing and waited till the last few minutes?

Who expected us to win this game? I definitely didn’t, given our form of late. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the team just seem to lack the consistency and passion required to win the league this year. I’m remaining hopeful for the CC and P/O’s. I genuinely think Nottingham will win the league - they have a great team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotham, Fournier, Strachan kept the teams hopes of a win alive last night - Myers too, but too many times Panthers were allowed to take the shot on Bownsy - as good as a goalie is, he should be the LAST line of defence, and the amount of shots on him in the 3rd was down to disorganised and poor defence - coupled with 2 ENG goals and Panthers were always going to win that period and therefore the game.
Certain players are now costing us - and it's time they change or Lordy makes some tough decisions

ASHIPP

I am baffled by how the team has already demonstrated its potential earlier this season by playing with all the skill ,style and confidence of last year's team.

At the moment, it's a completely different team - both psychologically and tactically, it seems at times.

Corey and the Panthers have taken the blueprint of Devils' title winning team and are using it brilliantly so far this season:

Settled forward lines and defence
pairings (barring injury), in order to build chemistry and partnerships

Every player and line with clearly defined roles

Defensive responsibility first from everyone

Relentless backchecking and forechecking

Very simple systems, ruthless execution

Tunnel vision focus and determination, whatever the situation, to get the result

Great veteran leadership

Last edited:
Tell that to Chris McSorley!

Different folks and all that.... but for me the game had swung away from us at that point and although it was a gamble, it could have changed the momentum if we had pulled it off. It didn’t work but.... I wonder if Jamie, Lordo etc would have been criticised for being too safe if we had done the normal thing and waited till the last few minutes?
They never would have been criticized for waiting until 2 minutes left. That's not being safe , that's being smart. If they waited until 1 minute left then they'd be open to criticism . It's about clock management . If you're down by 3 with 4 minutes to go, by all means pull the goalie but by then you're pretty much out of the game but you're still in the game down 2 with 2 minutes to go. Many teams have come back from 2 goals down in the last 2 minutes and I really doubt that the %'s are very low that teams come back from 3 goals down with 4 to play. There's a reason why they say a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey.

kettdevil1

They never would have been criticized for waiting until 2 minutes left. That's not being safe , that's being smart. If they waited until 1 minute left then they'd be open to criticism . It's about clock management . If you're down by 3 with 4 minutes to go, by all means pull the goalie but by then you're pretty much out of the game but you're still in the game down 2 with 2 minutes to go. Many teams have come back from 2 goals down in the last 2 minutes and I really doubt that the %'s are very low that teams come back from 3 goals down with 4 to play. There's a reason why they say a 2 goal lead is the worst lead in hockey.
As ever, different opinions are valid but.... I saw it differently, it felt like the life had been sucked out of the team and all momentum was with Nottingham at that point, something had to be done and this was the roll of the dice that we went for. It didn’t work but I wouldn’t criticise the attempt given the way the game was going..... maybe you saw it differently but.... in which case, I suspect you would still agree that something needed to be done as we were drifting?

Corey and the Panthers have taken the blueprint of Devils' title winning team and are using it brilliantly so far this season:

Settled forward lines and defence pairings (barring injury), in order to build chemistry and partnerships
ROTFLMAO!

If only you knew... :D

(all of your other points are spot on, however...)

As ever, different opinions are valid but.... I saw it differently, it felt like the life had been sucked out of the team and all momentum was with Nottingham at that point, something had to be done and this was the roll of the dice that we went for. It didn’t work but I wouldn’t criticise the attempt given the way the game was going..... maybe you saw it differently but.... in which case, I suspect you would still agree that something needed to be done as we were drifting?
I agree with you on a couple of points, they weren't playing well and something needed to be done. There are a couple of things that could have been done other than pulling your goalie with 4 minutes to go. Calling a time out, which is arguable at that point, might have been an idea. Call a time out to give your players a quick rest and discuss a quick gameplan, go with your top 6 forwards and your top 4 defence and get your forwards to dump and chase and take the boards away, have your defence be aggressive in the offensive zone and make sure they are pinching down low along the boards and put everything to the net. Your hoping that you can get one with a min or a min and half to go. I suspect by that time the Panthers may have called a timeout which certainly helps the Devils 10 players and go over what you're going to do the last 1-1/2. Have Bowns stand in the middle of the ice so he can get to the bench quickly. Now the question is and it's hypothetical, would it work ? We will never know but i've seen it done this way numerous times over the years with some success but that's my opinion and it's a better option than to pull your goalie with 4 minutes to go. It's all moot at this point anyway and you learn each time you get in that position .