Fans booing

Hedd Wyn John

Thread starter #1
Ok guys, those who attended the game vs Fife Flyers last night would have heard loud booing coming from a significant number of fans right at the end the game.

As a new Devils fan I’ve not been to a game where the fans booed their team before, so I just wanted to gauge some opinions on this.

Personally I don’t like booing, I’m not a fan of it however I understand why some people felt like booing after losing in such a manner yesterday. I’ve been to games before where fans started walking out due to the teams performance (the storm game a few weeks back comes to mind) but booing is new to me.

So is it acceptable for fans to boo?

Thoughts please.

Thanks

I also don’t agree with booing and can’t see how it would be helpful to the team. They know exactly how poorly they played. Not clapping them off the ice, IMO, is a far more appropriate way to convey your feelings.

I must admit though I didn’t hear any booing last night and was there to the end? I’m in block 19. Maybe it was mainly from the other side of the arena but can’t see it being in the ‘significant’ numbers you mention? I certainly would hope not anyway, regardless of the result.

Doesn’t bother me, there big boys and ultimately have no point to prove. They are the ones dressed and on the ice, fans are not good enough to play at that level, frankly those booing opinions have little effect on players, I’m repeating this insight, but agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a massive impact on the players??
If we didn’t go they wouldn’t be paid there wages...

Some fans boo some fans don’t clap them off we all have different oppinions..

Professional players do not give up a 5-1 lead in hockey with 20 mins to play..
if they do they deserve to be booed not cheer or clapped in anyway

ASHIPP

I am not a fan of booing my team, but I can see why some people do that to vent their frustration and displeasure when a catastrophic performance merits it.

If it doesn' t have any effect on the players, then fair enough. But , in the entertainment industry, you would hope that the management would be concerned that customers are disatisfied with the current 'product'. It's the sort of reaction that could indicate a drop in future attendances.

Pleximan

The players are professional and should be able to deal with any criticism even if that comes in the form of fans booing. Quite frankly the fans pay their money and clap and applaud the team when results are good so they are well entitled to show their displeasure when results are bad.

Personally, this weekend's results are enough for me....If this team can't be bothered then nor can I. The downturn in overall team talent is one thing but the lack of desire is completely something else. I'll leave my seat empty for a while.
As a long time ST, I've seen enough of this team to know that certain players are simply not good enough. A big backwards step on last season's team. This is sports and you cannot win all the time, but the step backwards is huge in my opinion.

Ejercito Rojas

Ok guys, those who attended the game vs Fife Flyers last night would have heard loud booing coming from a significant number of fans right at the end the game.

As a new Devils fan I’ve not been to a game where the fans booed their team before, so I just wanted to gauge some opinions on this.

Personally I don’t like booing, I’m not a fan of it however I understand why some people felt like booing after losing in such a manner yesterday. I’ve been to games before where fans started walking out due to the teams performance (the storm game a few weeks back comes to mind) but booing is new to me.

So is it acceptable for fans to boo?

Thoughts please.

Thanks

The happy clappers will say No, not under any circumstances in case we hurt their feelings!
The rest of us will make up our own minds based upon what sort of performance we’ve just witnessed.
I left the building when the ENG goal was scored so didn’t witness any booing.
To concede that amount of 3rd period goals to lose a game from a winning position is unacceptable and if people booed then I’m afraid the players deserved it.

I play welsh league football and our team are on a 5 game losing streak and to be honest struggling badly..
we was in a winning situation yesterday 15 mins left and still lost..
it’s all about being mentally strong and right now we are not.

Maybe the devils are in the same boat? And are not used to seeing out games?
and when they are winning they don’t know what to do to get over the finish line??

Whatever it is needs sorting.
But imo panthers are too good this year

I play welsh league football and our team are on a 5 game losing streak and to be honest struggling badly..
we was in a winning situation yesterday 15 mins left and still lost..
it’s all about being mentally strong and right now we are not.

Maybe the devils are in the same boat? And are not used to seeing out games?
and when they are winning they don’t know what to do to get over the finish line??

Whatever it is needs sorting.
But imo panthers are too good this year

This is spot on.
I myself also played Welsh League football, albeit back in the 80’s and was fortunate to mostly play on dominant teams, and winning is a habit.
I recall nearly always expecting to win, l would look around our dressing room prior to the game and just knowing we would be better than our opposition, then when making our way out onto the field I would look at my opposite number and I would KNOW I was better. Arrogant? Definitely, but that’s what it takes, it’s a state of mind!
I hate losing!!!
A couple of seasons later we had basically the same team and we couldn’t buy a win. Losing had become a habit!

Pleximan

The real frustrating thing for me is the apparent lack of desire and malaise that is seemingly embedded in the DNA of this team which surfaces 1 game in 3. I have friends and work colleagues who have never been to a game and know that I am a ST supporter asking me about fixtures and an interest in going to see a game, but honestly i would be afraid to take them to one.....the thought of taking them to the Fife game last night.....my god!!!

I'll get my coat!

As paying fans who work pretty damned hard for our money and are held accountable in our jobs if our work was to slip below an acceptable standard I think we are entitled to expect the same of this team. Right now, I think any criticism or booing which allegedly occured last night is simply unsurprising. The players are the ones who can change that.

The up and down form of this team though is just utterly head scratching stuff, hopefully they can find the right consistency soon to keep the fans coming back.

Foxy

Players love to accept the applause and plaudits when they perform well. They have to accept the fans displeasure when they perform badly. Whether that is by booing, not applauding or walking out thats upto the fans. There is no right or wrong.

Last night i just walked out at the buzzer.

All i know is this team is just not learning from their mistakes. You cannot just switch off when you have a lead. There is just too much complacency in this team. Last year if we were behind i still believed that they would take the win. This year they go behind heads drop and basics go out the window. All we had to do last night was defend our lead after the first. Instead defence was left in the dressing room. I miss Culligan and Scot Hotham:-(

kettdevil1

The real frustrating thing for me is the apparent lack of desire and malaise that is seemingly embedded in the DNA of this team which surfaces 1 game in 3. I have friends and work colleagues who have never been to a game and know that I am a ST supporter asking me about fixtures and an interest in going to see a game, but honestly i would be afraid to take them to one.....the thought of taking them to the Fife game last night.....my god!!!

I'll get my coat!

As paying fans who work pretty damned hard for our money and are held accountable in our jobs if our work was to slip below an acceptable standard I think we are entitled to expect the same of this team. Right now, I think any criticism or booing which allegedly occured last night is simply unsurprising. The players are the ones who can change that.

The up and down form of this team though is just utterly head scratching stuff, hopefully they can find the right consistency soon to keep the fans coming back.

I'll get my coat!

I have to say I am bit baffled by the logic in this post. We lost today but how you can criticise the lack of desire is beyond me, bodies were being put on the line all over the ice and I really didn’t see anybody phoning in their performance. Same up in Dundee on Wednesday, lots of gutsy plays and frankly an unlucky loss. Before these three games weren’t we undefeated in six or something? I missed the Fife game so can’t comment on that one other than to say that it looks like disappointing on paper.

The problem at the moment appears to be a mental one. We lose the plot for a few minutes and then have to either chase the game or we panic.... not totally sure how booing is going to improve the confidence of players but maybe I am missing something.....