Cardiff Devils v Fife Flyers - Sat 18 Nov 2017 - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Gospel

Wow. Just wow.

That game should never have been lost especially being up 5-1 so what happened?!

When Paris got his penalty (which i dont think was a penalty, im sure it was shoulder not head but DOPs will decide) we didnt seem to have anybody step up on the ice and say & keep saying & showing “right, keep it simple, see out the penalty then we’ll adjust. Simple hockey, no dumb penalties” it must have been mentioned at the bench and these are long term pro’s who should simply understand that anyway without anybody saying it, so why implode?! For me it has to come down to lack of strong leaders to implement.

Hogarth is the worst ref in the league by a long long long way but both teams had him. Adapt your game FFS. We have him more than Fife do so we should know that by now.

The biggest problem though & has been all season is our PP & PK. Tonight was like watching kids play adults. Was it 6 PP goals plus a short hander for Fife from 8 goals. Simply not acceptable at any level.

The guys have had the plaudits recentky and quite rightly for the winning streak but these 2 loses shouldnt have happened. Dundee had what 14 players? Fife come down to us & out fought us. Appalling.

Im a big fan of Lordos especially as a player but he isnt doing what he used to do. Is it injury? I know he was injured earlier this year. If it is, sit out get fit & as so many people have said let Batchy play more minutes. I still feel Batchy should be on D though.

Tonight will be painful i think but i live on in hope!

ASHIPP

The biggest single mistake last night was NOT to keep it simple, tight and calm to see out the game when the Devils were in complete control.That's all they needed to do to get the result they needed, even after Paris was ejected. Not be able to do that when the game was virtually over at 5-1 up is either a catastrophic coaching decision or a catastrophic failure by the players to execute a closing game plan.

Last edited:
The match ‘highlights’ show the Paris check on Finucci was perfectly legal and nowhere near the head or neck.
However, this is not the reason for last nights implosion!
That’s down to lack of intelligence and character!

pjj365

People have been calling out Paris for a while but yet after that penalty we collapsed

Was it simply the penalty sapping morale or did the team miss him on the ice after all frequently what the team needs and sees is different to what we see

The match ‘highlights’ show the Paris check on Finucci was perfectly legal and nowhere near the head or neck.
However, this is not the reason for last nights implosion!
That’s down to lack of intelligence and character!
Contact with the head or neck doesn't have to be made for it to be a check to the head penalty. If the checking player uses their upper body to drive the other players head into the boards or glass, then it's a check to the head penalty.

Contact with the head or neck doesn't have to be made for it to be a check to the head penalty. If the checking player uses their upper body to drive the other players head into the boards or glass, then it's a check to the head penalty.
That’s as maybe.
But he doesn’t! Contact is made with the upper arm and shoulder area.
Paris is 6’4” and Finucci is about 5’8”. Finucci also turns his body to face the boards at the last second.
IMO there was no ‘driving’ the head into the boards and there was no check to the head, just a big guy checking a little guy who changes direction and turns back into the check.

That’s as maybe.
But he doesn’t! Contact is made with the upper arm and shoulder area.
Paris is 6’4” and Finucci is about 5’8”. Finucci also turns his body to face the boards at the last second.
IMO there was no ‘driving’ the head into the boards and there was no check to the head, just a big guy checking a little guy who changes direction and turns back into the check.
Guess we’ll find out when DoPS take a look but the ref has to make that judgement in a split second and may not even be in an ideal position. We get the benefit of slow downed replays.

Wannabe2

It's pretty obvious why a interview wasn't available, and why should it. It's not exactly Sky Sports where you have to do it for the paying fans, they are under contract to do post match interviews, different ball game.

BostonBart22

It's pretty obvious why a interview wasn't available, and why should it. It's not exactly Sky Sports where you have to do it for the paying fans, they are under contract to do post match interviews, different ball game.
He was hopefully sifting through the CV file to see where we have gone wrong this season and looking to bring in 3 or 4 players and get rid of the dead wood...

Fife got stuffed 6-1 tonight against Guildford, what a crazy league.
I’m afraid that’s not ‘a crazy league’, that’s just resetting the equilibrium.
Let’s face it Fife we’re down and out at 5-1 last night, they even pulled their netminder to save him from further punishment.
That 3rd period performance was as astonishing as it was unforgivable!

Hedd Wyn John

I don’t know the ins & outs of contracts and whatnot. However if the coach does a post match interview as standard after a game then it creates the expectation that there will be one. On top of that if you suddenly don’t do an interview then it stands out.

matbur

Just catching up on the forum for my daily dose of hysteria and pessimism but in fairness the posts here seem pretty well balanced.

That Paris hit was right in front of me and I couldn't tell whether it was clean or not so you can forgive the official for getting it wrong. That was the turning point for me though, please correct me if I'm wrong but I think during that five minute period we gave up three goals.

The short-handed goal was inexcusable and I don't get reluctance to pull Bowns under those circumstances, especially when we have Murdy.