New CC Format

Outsider

Thread starter #1
League just announced a new CC playoff format for the quarter final round. So now the top 4 teams now get to pick who they want to play from the bottom 4 teams. A very interesting format but in my mind a bush league concept. They mention that 2 other Euro leagues have used this and they believe this will help drum up interest . A bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned. For a league wanting to have credibility it's one step forward( DOPS) and 2 steps back

BostonBart22

bet steelers suggested this format.. whats wrong with an old fashion fa cup type draw. could be money spinner for some clubs..my take is steelers v panthers , lightning v flames giants v dundee or fife all short travel devils no choice fife or dundee.

Gazza272

League just announced a new CC playoff format for the quarter final round. So now the top 4 teams now get to pick who they want to play from the bottom 4 teams. A very interesting format but in my mind a bush league concept. They mention that 2 other Euro leagues have used this and they believe this will help drum up interest . A bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned. For a league wanting to have credibility it's one step forward( DOPS) and 2 steps back

I think it's harsh to call the idea bush league. It adds to the value of finishing higher in the standings, and gives a bit more spice to the knockout stages. I believe it's denmark that have done this for their playoffs for many seasons.

The only criticism i would have is that it should have been implemented before the season, the group stages would have been far more entertaining,

pjj365

Where is the official announcement please

This is farcical and should have been announced before the season began not when Steelers were No 1 seed. May not corrupt but doesn't dispel that thought

pjj365

Where is the official announcement please

This is farcical and should have been announced before the season began not when Steelers were No 1 seed. May not corrupt but doesn't dispel that thought
Belfast have tweeted the league page Are. EIHL too embarrassed at this micky mouse approach to a cup "draw"

Maybe Denmark have done this but it is in complete contrast to most sporting competitions at least in the UK if not worldwide

Outsider

Thread starter #8
I think it's harsh to call the idea bush league. It adds to the value of finishing higher in the standings, and gives a bit more spice to the knockout stages. I believe it's denmark that have done this for their playoffs for many seasons.

The only criticism i would have is that it should have been implemented before the season, the group stages would have been far more entertaining,
The value of finishing higher gets you the opportunity to play the bottom seeded team ie 1 vs 8. If this is such a great idea, why don't the KHL , NHL, AHL, ECHL, Swiss League, DEL and any other top league use it for playoffs ? The concept has been around for years but I do agree with the late announcement of it. Same goes for the faceoff rule. That's what I meant in my earlier post about one step forward and 2 back. Your exhibition games are also used to have players get acclimated to new rules, not starting them in mid Nov . Have 4 officials in January doesn't affect the players at all other than the fact that there maybe more penalties called which puts a premium on your special teams

I don’t see how any professional league can seriously think this is a good idea. It smacks of manipulation of fixtures. So what now worries me is that the play off group format has not yet been published. So do we now wait to see who finishes top of the league and conferences. This is appalling.

dave

Iihf instigated the timing of face off crackdown a cross europe so we can not put that as timed by eiha decision makers. I am pretty sure this was mentioned towards end of last season to be tried for this season and sounds like the official confirmation.. Like rugby league it will be tried and if not successful will go back.

kettdevil1

Iihf instigated the timing of face off crackdown a cross europe so we can not put that as timed by eiha decision makers. I am pretty sure this was mentioned towards end of last season to be tried for this season and sounds like the official confirmation.. Like rugby league it will be tried and if not successful will go back.
Yep, sums it up. Actually I quite like the select your opponent approach. Plenty of Rugby League fans are big supporters of it and it often gives the team selected extra motivation which makes for a decent game with an edge. Let’s give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Have Hope#35

Willing to see how it goes as it's an interesting concept, hardly makes us bush league! It was rumoured pre-season so I guess it was decided on before the group stages of the Cup... The only negative is that this should've been announced a month or so ago to stop people thinking it's in Sheffield's benefit! If all of the participating teams are happy there's no reason why I can't be.

Certainly should have been announced before the competition started. Also in my opinion it does favour the Steelers as the top 3 seeds Sheffield, Milton Keynes and Belfast will choose to play the three weaker sides Dundee,Guildford and Fyfe leaving Cardiff and Nottingham the two strongest sides battling to eliminate each other. Nice one Tony Smith nice pathway cleared into the semi final at least with one of your main opponents eliminated.

James

Administrator
Not sure how it favours Sheffield over what would happen anyway (1st Vs 8th) They would have got the easiest game if they wanted. What they can do now if they choose is go for a big payday vs Panthers or go for the easy option vs Dundee (has a Pacha team ever beaten the Steelers? Someone mentioned none of his 3 hes coached have.)

Tad-cu

How can the format of a competition not be known until half way through?
Maybe the rules will change again in the next round.
Who knows, all teams beginning with S have a home semi final!
Have Robert Mugabe and Kim Jong Un been added to the EIHL board?

matbur

Just catching up on this, farcical and at the very least they are opening themselves up for criticism.

The rules and format should be set in stone prior to the start of the competition, it's incredible how the EIHL is so amateurish and shoots itself in the foot sometimes. You look at people like Todd Kellman, who're on that board, and think "yeah, you know what, hockey in this country is really going places and heading in the right direction," then you get peculiar decisions like this being made.

In all probability, they made this decision with good intentions but they really don't see the bigger picture, do they?

pjj365

It appears that the format was agreed in the summer but they did not get round to publicize it.

At least teams will have known what they were aiming for but yet more amateurish behaviour from EIHL

youngbob

Seems to make more sense after Todd explained it at Saturday's Q & A session, but not publishing it at the beginning of the season is the usual shoddy way the EIHL "communicates"