Frustrating Stuff......

Thread starter #1
Two things I'm finding really annoying, that fellow forum users might be able to explain

1. Players not playing - Why is it that when we have players out, for whatever reason, it is as though they have disappeared off the face of the earth. Why don't we, the fans, get to know what the issue is and how long they are likely to be out. After all we have an interest in their welfare as they are not just devils players, or employees, they are people. There cannot really be that much of a need for these things to be shrouded in secrecy.

2. Why is the EIHL website so poor and out of date. Given that it was rebranded this year I would have looked for improvement, but it seems to gone have backwards. Who is responsible for maintaining it as they are not doing what they need to. It's not just about standings, results, and match reports, but all the tabs.

youngbob

As far as news on injuries is concerned, I think the management have it spot on - the opposition will be MUCH more interested in what weaknesses and niggling problems our players have then any fan
A team coming to IAW would LOVE to know that player X has an ankle injury he's been playing with for 3 weeks - go out there boys and give him a couple of slashes on his right ankle, he'll probably sit out the next 15 minutes, disrupt the Devils lines

pjj365

As far as news on injuries is concerned, I think the management have it spot on - the opposition will be MUCH more interested in what weaknesses and niggling problems our players have then any fan
A team coming to IAW would LOVE to know that player X has an ankle injury he's been playing with for 3 weeks - go out there boys and give him a couple of slashes on his right ankle, he'll probably sit out the next 15 minutes, disrupt the Devils lines
Exactly what Todd said last night

Wannabe2

Agree with above post, why would we make local knowledge that player A is playing with a bad shoulder, that makes him a target big time. There are also mind games that most teams play, letting people think a player is out for weeks, then icing him on the day. Any little bit of advantage a team can take, then they will. As for the EIHL website, like everything else they do its poor and out of date.

ASHIPP

In this week's website PR and even Lordo's matchnight programme page, there is suitable vagueness about players returning players- hoping 1 or 2 might be back, not sure who.....and Justin Faryna magically appears last night! Devils often play things down...and for the right reasons.

Rob Batch

I agree with the original post about the EIHL website. Not really good enough ! News on injuries frustrates me too, though I can appreciate the paranoia of revealing any weaknesses. Swings and round-abouts? I would prefer to understand our players injuries, regardless of our opponents.

Temme

Doug Clarkson tweeting that we had taken the Telford netminder as back up that day was the best part of all that for me.
teams have to submit their opening roster before the game starts (and away team needs to notify the home team who their starting 6 on-ice will be ahead of puck drop ... "home advantage"...)

Gazza272

teams have to submit their opening roster before the game starts (and away team needs to notify the home team who their starting 6 on-ice will be ahead of puck drop ... "home advantage"...)
I know, but Clarkson tweeted at lunch time that the Telford goalie was travelling with us.

Thread starter #14
I get the bit around close to face off, but on a Monday with no game until the following weekend.....just a "xyz was out with a shoulder injury" would do for me.

jimmy snels

I dont want to even know location of injury really. I guess "upper body" for example extreemly vague. But if i knew "haddad has a lower body injury and expected to be out for 4 weeks" that would be a good enough update for me. I just like to know if the guys are ok and likely to be back soon

solelace84

And what happens the following weekend when Fitzgerald finishes his hit on Haddad making sure he aims for the shoulder and haddad is out for another 6 weeks?
Why do fans feel entitled to know the ins and outs of player injuries? In a game like hockey, if the opposition knows the location of an injury, they will obviously try to target that player and perpetuate the injury for their own advantage. It’s the same in a lot of contact sports... accept it and move on. You’d all be moaning if intricate details of minor ailments were published, and the likes of fitzy then proceeded to skate around smashing everyone with a sore shoulder, taking only a 2 min minor, but putting someone like Haddad or Asselin our for 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temme

NHL teams never disclose injury.

It's simply "Upper or Lower".

Letting other teams know your possible weakness is an obvious no no.

It would be nice to be told "Player X will return approx mid November hopefully"

but this is privileged information really that we have to respect.

1. Don’t understand why you assume we have an interest in their welfare. Don’t get me wrong l don’t advocate violence or want anybody hurt for my viewing pleasure. If l had a son/daughter I’d certainly be uneasy about them playing hockey, but not really bothered about others who choose to play, if l was that concerned in the players welfare, why would l go to games, I’d kinda feel partly responsible.

2. It’s still a beer league. It’s run by people that advocate for the good of the sport, but have little interest beyond their own financial benefit. As fans we put up with it because it’s widely believed something is better than nothing, the thought of possibly improving the situation is beyond comprehension. Similar to the IAW situation, we don’t complain on mass, why, because the fact is we believe we have no power, when in fact, we hold the power to make change. When profesional organisations step out of line, people complain, moan etc. The opposite occurs when unprofessional organisations continue to run their business in a manner that is frankly poor, we simply allow it to continue. It’s ludicrous and has become more of the norm in society.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

matbur

I dont want to even know location of injury really. I guess "upper body" for example extreemly vague. But if i knew "haddad has a lower body injury and expected to be out for 4 weeks" that would be a good enough update for me. I just like to know if the guys are ok and likely to be back soon
This is spot on and should happen for all teams - the league is supposed to be working towards more professionalism. I get that the teams want to keep stuff on the low-down but don't tell me NHL teams don't!

Another thing with injuries, players talk. People involved in the game talk. Teams will always have a pretty good idea of who is carrying knocks and injured and such like.