Cardiff Devils v Sheffield Steelers - Sat 4 Nov 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Paul Sullivan

Have to say a huge well done to Lordo in how the team are now playing but most of all in getting those special teams straightened out. The powerplay is now back to being a hugely effective part of the Devils game and massive in keeping teams honest as they are now being punished for undisciplined hockey. It's obvious an incredible amount of training and analysis has gone into it and it's very impressive both coaching and playing wise that the players are now converting. Well done guys.
Also - that was the best PK unit in the League we played tonight, I think. Which makes it even more impressive.

Ocko

That was far more comfortable than the score line suggests, we could have won by 3 or 4 at least. For me, the Devils were pretty dominant tonight. Great 2 points. I think the Steelers are 8 wins, 5 losses in the league. Is Thommo under pressure?
And worse than that their in conference record is awful. Played 7, won 1. 3 points off a possible 14.

jenks33

Excellent win. Probably gave up a few too many 2 on 1’s for my liking but apart from that we were very good. Interesting to see how the lines shape up when the injured players return as we look very solid at the moment.
I’ve got to say i’d be growing very frustrated with Thompson if I was a Steelers fan. My biggest issue with him for a while now has been his recruitment. I think he’s a very good coach but I’m just not sure he’s a great recruiter. Looking at his time in Sheffield I can’t think of many brilliant signings apart from Nelson and Fitzgerald. He’s signed a lot of average players in the past 3 years and there’s the obvious failures like Hayes, Schultz, Duco etc. Not our problem though I suppose

BostonBart22

Excellent win. Probably gave up a few too many 2 on 1’s for my liking but apart from that we were very good. Interesting to see how the lines shape up when the injured players return as we look very solid at the moment.
I’ve got to say i’d be growing very frustrated with Thompson if I was a Steelers fan. My biggest issue with him for a while now has been his recruitment. I think he’s a very good coach but I’m just not sure he’s a great recruiter. Looking at his time in Sheffield I can’t think of many brilliant signings apart from Nelson and Fitzgerald. He’s signed a lot of average players in the past 3 years and there’s the obvious failures like Hayes, Schultz, Duco etc. Not our problem though I suppose
THOMMO gone by xmas ....

James

Administrator
Don’t forget all the stinkers he signed in Coventry too. Looking at Steeltalk they are rightly frustrated with their Tom(mo) and Jerry coaching but know he’s fireproof as he’s best mates with Simms so unlikely to be ousted

Solid win, thought the Devils comfortably dealt with the steelers last night and like others have said the score line didn't really reflect the game in the end.

I didn't think the steelers brought a lot last night, after the goals in the first period the rest of the game was pretty forgettable, I was hoping for a steelers meltdown just to make it a bit more interesting but the Devils did a good job and we have Faryna back now too

Wannabe2

The best signing Thommo has made for the Steelers, for me was Desbiens, he was the only player I would have taken at Cardiff. No one else.

kettdevil1

The best signing Thommo has made for the Steelers, for me was Desbiens, he was the only player I would have taken at Cardiff. No one else.
Did he sign Ben O’Connor? Can’t think.... if yes, he would be the other one...

Good (and surprisingly routine) win...

matbur

I had to sell my seats back to the club for this one and haven't been able to get to a game in a few weeks now but I am so impressed with the team's current form. Outstanding

Johnnybravo1927

Whilst he wont win any popularity contests, zack Fitzgerald is an excellent player who is good enough to play for any EIHL team. Under the right coach to keep him disciplined he would be brilliant. Great off the ice with the fans and a great team mate who looks after his players

JT666

Whilst he wont win any popularity contests, zack Fitzgerald is an excellent player who is good enough to play for any EIHL team. Under the right coach to keep him disciplined he would be brilliant. Great off the ice with the fans and a great team mate who looks after his players
I thought I was alone in really rating Fitzgerald. He can lose his head at times, but he fulfills his role perfectly. Frequently agitating opposition, nearly always willing to stick up for himself, or his team mates, and a model professional off the ice. The fact he is a Steeler is the only significant blot on his copybook!

Really impressed by the team yesterday, in particular Strachan. He may not be one of the flashier points scoring players, but if you observe him closely, he does the little things just right. Calmness personified really, and exactly what we needed to shore up our defence. Without tempting fate, we may look back at his signing as our most significant.

Question now is, who on earth do we drop when Haddad, Richardson and Asselin return?

Earnie

A win against Sheffield is always just GREAT. Like some others , I think the score line flattered them a bit. There was some mild booing of their MoM Fitzy but maybe there was a bit of respect there also . He was trouble all night and well deserved the MoM.

Kal

Fitzy is a great villain on the ice, top entertainer and for him I'm sure the boos will make him feel like he's done an excellent job. Top performance by the Devils though, still impressed with the genius move to put Pope as the 4th forward on that PP line and Louis bringing the size upfront in Haddad and Faryna's absence.

Ocko

I'd take Fitzgerald in a Devils jersey ever day of the week.

The guy is a warrior and goes through brick walls for his team. He makes hits all game, will fight anyone, enforces properly and is actually a good hockey player. His discipline lets him down but I think a lot of that is who his coach is. Thommo and Finner are hardly the sort of coaches who keep their players on the straight and narrow. With the right coach he'd be fine.

Wannabe2

In fairness Fitzgerald would probably be a fans favourite in Cardiff, he sometimes can be a loose cannon, but so we're, Ware, MacWilliam, Boh, Voth to name a few, no one can ever question his passion or his commitment. Myself I just have a problem seeing a Steeler in a Devils shirt, although in fairness we never seen enough of Dion Darling, Kirk DeWalle would have loved those guys to have been here earlier, and would have taken Desbiens in a heartbeat.

ASHIPP

What happened in the ''assault'' on Roy that Steelers Twitter posted?
Is that anything to do with the end of match mini handbags around Bownsey's goal area? Perhaps our Guys were sending a message that Steelers will not get away with hassling our Goalies this season?

Gazza272

I saw that and couldn't work out what they were on about either.
There was an interference call that could have been called and Roy ended up on the floor. IT was a tussle in front of net, nothing more.

Simms was just over the top calling it Assault.