Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Sat 28 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

A "MUST WIN" game for DEVILS - if they want to retain the Challenge Cup

So get down to Ice Arena Wales to support them - if for whatever reason you cannot get to the IAW then
IceTime will be running a webcast for this game with all the details to be found @ http://www.icetime.tv :)

Better still join us at MNL
We will be be running the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' Match Night Live service for this game despite the continuing problems with mobile communications. The biased game reporting can be found at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Texters are always needed so if you can help us out please get in touch by PM or text the MNL line on 07527 625206.

A win tomorrow would mean that we move on to the next stage of the Challenge Cup. However, a loss, does not mean that we are definitely out of it. We would have to rely on Manchester losing one of their last two games - Sheffield away on 11th Nov. or Nottingham home on 25th Nov.
Manchester currently have 2 points in Group A with 2 games left. We have 5 points in Group C with 1 game left. So, if the unimaginable happens tomorrow and we lose our last game, we have to rely on Manchester losing one of their last 2 games to go through to the next round.

Making the trip over from France for this one.
Make it worth my trip pleeeeeeeeeeeze.
Almost sorry that Paquette is not playing though, as that would have spiced it up a bit.

ASHIPP

This is the most important domestic game so far this season for the Devils.

I am praying that Devils do not get caught stone cold as they have done in so many games this season. A good early lead by the opposition makes an impossible hill to climb to get back into the game. Need to work harder than Blaze and stay completely focused and disciplined in this game - Blaze are already in a winning groove this week and will want to avenge the result from the last game against the Devils.

Devils showed what is possible last Sunday, when they play together for eachother, buy into the systems, and focus only on the gameplan. No God given right to win a game, but all we can hope for is a battling heroic Devils' performance if they are going to progress.

Last edited:
Coventry will want blood, their going to turn up. I only hope our CHL team turns out. If we are serious about this season beating Coventry convincingly would go some way to dispel recent doubts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wagstaff

Watch out for the Vallerand, Pietrus, Robinson, Dingle combinations, they have played some very nice hockey this season, playing lots of minutes and with a lot of heart, Noble has been quiet this year, Kloz has taken MOM for the last three games on D and no Paquette although that’s been the story for most of the year so far so Pietrus has been quite feisty when needed but we are not an out and out aggressive team so far.
I’m at work tonight so will be using your wonderful MNL to keep up with the game, so a big thank you to the guys and girls that put all the effort into running it.

ASHIPP

Terrific result for the Devils tonight. They were in a hole in this round....and dug themselves out of it in style. Well done, especially being shortbenched.

4 goals in 7 minutes - all powerplay goals! Good to see the whole bench being utilised well including Thomas. Even better seeing the Guys still working hard and with pride at the final whistle. Looked like they really enjoyed their hockey tonight!

Was watching Kevin Noble playing in the last few shifts and wondering how the hell he was even still there. He started so much disruption and nastiness tonight, yet rarely got penalised. A sly fox who always manages to make it look like someone elses fault.

Hope this is the start of really strong performances for our Guys. League title defence starts seriously tomorrow in Fife.

Last edited:

Justtw

Honestly.. With players missing, we came out strong, conceded early but we never stopped going up gears.

What an absolute JOY to watch tonight. Forechecking was fantastic! every player on the ice worked his damn heart out and it only got better and better as the minutes clocked.

Can I just say that Craig Moore is an absolute KILLER SIGNING for us and I hope he sees more ice time. Watching him and Piggot speed down the ice and retrieve pucks and make some opportunities is incredible!

Hicksy definitely proved to be a pain and I'm a little nervous to see what happens with the Batch incident but all in all I think we'll be alright.

Roll on Fife tomorrow Devils!!!

Ocko

Very good game from us.

I thought Blaze were very fortunate to get the first goal but after that there was only one winner. We finished our hits consistently better than any game I've seen this year and kept the momentum going.

Only gripe, and it's outwith anyone's control is the sooner the D pairings are settled and back to playing 6, the better. Often the Blaze players seemed to have free reign to cut right through the middle. I can only assume it's a communication thing as our systems do not appear to have changed, other than Joey Martin's line now play a very passive trap, but that shouldn't give up the middle of the ice.

Once again Batch had a superb game. He looks one of our most effective forwards out there. Obviously lines will change with returning players but I hope he isn't shifted back to minimal ice on the 4th. Crowder and Mo have also found their feet together and look dangerous.

How stupid and selfish was the checking to the head by Robinson though? Gives up a crap pass on the PP, loses his cool, runs over Lord who wasnt even looking to do anything other than dump the puck, 5 minute major and 3 PP goals later he's cost his team the game. Idiot.

Good result, good performance.

august04

What happened between Lord and Stewart that’s referred to in his interview? I didn’t notice anything during the game and left on the hooter. Thought Coventry weren’t the same team when Vallerand left the game after the slashing incident. Vital win for the Devils and a good performance.

pjj365

Didn't see it (opposite side of arena) but fans on that side of arena started booing after center ice handshakes completed then there was a melle at the benches with stripes breaking it up

Been told Stewart refused to shake hands with Lordo and it kicked off

Anyone got a better view?