Colton Fretter

Leighton

There seems to be a lot of hate for Sheffield here, whilst i'll never defend them, the issue is as follows:

Hicks made a mess of the game with non calls.
Fretter felt the need to take matters into his own hands.
DOPS has failed to punish him accordingly.

Fretter won't be the first or certainly not the last person to seek their own retribution for an incident that occurs like this, so i agree with Simmsey's comments - He shouldn't have done it but it's pretty obvious why he did.

If a player like Goulakos can run about cheap shotting all game with no call then for the sake of a 1 game ban where Goulakos will miss 5+ with concussion, what Fretter did is 100% worth while doing.

The issue is not "sheffield did this, did that", it is simply that if players are going to deliberately injure others then they must be punished accordingly to stamp that behaviour out- something that DOPS have failed to do.

Heck if this kind of incident draws a 1 game ban and i was a Devils coach i'd be sending 90% of our team out to target the leagues best players to deliberately injure them, what's a 1 game ban when the other player is injured for more?
from where i'm sitting, this post is spot on....

James

Administrator
I’m also not sure that anyone, and certainly not myself, that has insinuated that ‘Sheffield did this and Sheffield did that’.
I did and I stand by my comments :) There are a couple of issues at play here, the lack of calls on the night leading up to the incident & the lack of guts shown by DOPS (which I'd be very surprised if wasn't at all due to pressure from somewhere in Yorkshire)

Foxy

We keep going on about lack of calls on the night. If they werent called Sheffield should have called for them to be reviewed. (Cant comment i havnt seen them)

Retaliation is not the answer

from where i'm sitting, this post is spot on....
I agree with the issues regarding the refereeing and I agree with condemnation of DOPS.
Where we differ is, that there are varying degrees of ‘taking matters in his own hands’ and I believe Fretter’s actions were waaaaaay over the top and unacceptable and as a result, indefensible.
As a separate issue, I personally have no particular liking for Goulakos as I think he is a dirty, chippy cheap shot type of player, however, that cannot be a reason to excuse Fretter’s wholly disproportionate retaliation.
I think we can all agree that Fretter should have been banned for much longer and DOPS is not fit for purpose and needs a complete overhaul.

There is no right or wrong on the two incidents, the domino effect was caused by poor officials. Both players should not have played with such disregard for one another, but their both victims in this as well as the perpetrators. It’s the job of officials to control the game, which ultimately controls the players reactions. Its becoming more likely than ever that we will witness a serious consequence of this unprofessional beer league they call the EIHL. It’s time to rid the sport of certain northern monkies. It’s time for change, the day is coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd send all reviews involving Steelers players overseas. Time and time again situations like this make you question the integrity of the league.
On the issue of finance if the league can't afford 2 referees then allow the linesman to make calls or at least advise the ref. It works perfectly well in football and rugby so why not hockey??

Temme

The Fretter incident is now being reviewed by an independent panel, none of the original people will be involved.
Personally, i think this makes the entire situation worse for the league.

This INDIVIDUAL incident will now get the correct treatment (between 3-8 games seems the consensus), however a shadow has already been cast over the entire EIHL, which is now exacerbated even further because of the intervention of an independent panel.

Surely after this DOPS can't exist anymore?
I feel for Sheffield as their player will suffer due to social media/worldwide outrage which ultimately is not fair on them. It's not their fault DOPS ballsed up.

The Review is now under review, what a joke our league is.

Johnnybravo1927

Personally, i think this makes the entire situation worse for the league.

This INDIVIDUAL incident will now get the correct treatment (between 3-8 games seems the consensus), however a shadow has already been cast over the entire EIHL, which is now exacerbated even further because of the intervention of an independent panel.

Surely after this DOPS can't exist anymore?
I feel for Sheffield as their player will suffer due to social media/worldwide outrage which ultimately is not fair on them. It's not their fault DOPS ballsed up.

The Review is now under review, what a joke our league is.

perfectly summed up. Despite it being easy to dislike steelers (and there are plenty of reasons) its not their fault that DOPS are spineless. No doubt they influenced the decision but DOPS were put together to give an independent review and they failed to do so.

Earnie

If , after the review of the review , DOPS is tweaked a bit by no longer having a one man band in sole responsibility, then the League will not have lost much credibility. (IMHO)

ASHIPP

Why feel sorry for the individual player (whoever it is) involved in the review? Part of the very criticism around the league has been that his initial punishment was insufficient in the first place.He can't 'undo' what he did. The need for the player to receive appropriate penalty for his actions is not any less, simply because the incompetencies of DOPs have received attention in and outside the UK.

An independent review is what is required. Hopefully this will become the norm - professional, unbiased analysis . What it also exposes here is the desperate need for rigouress standards of governance/ interpretation and a new stringent and transparent tariff of punishments to be introduced asap. Player safety is paramount - that is what the players need, that is what this league needs.

One young player has already had his career ended through concussion this season in this league and has retired. Goulakis is apparently suffering concussion and will be out beyond his ban. Punishments in the NHL and North American system are rightly very harsh for causing this sort of injury.

Last edited:
Likewise, I feel no sympathy for Fretter. He chose his method of retribution, he could have gone after Goulakos in a gloves off face to face fight or he could have decided to get him on his next shift in a ‘hockey play’ or indeed leave it to Fitzgerald to exact punishment. However, he took the action that he did.
The general consensus seems to be 5-10 games is more realistic baring in mind his misdemeanour!

Wannabe2

Can't see 5/10 games against Sheffield, because it's them. Fretter should have done the manly thing and called him out, instead of the cowardly way he went about it.

E.D.S.

I don’t understand the kicking call. Yes his leg is raised but if the man is concussed as he is claimed to be, how much did he know about what he was doing and it wasn’t like there was a full kicking motion. He raised his legs to stop the attack from Fretter.
Completely agree with Ejercito Rojas comment above.
1 game ban is a farce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temme

Likewise, I feel no sympathy for Fretter. He chose his method of retribution, he could have gone after Goulakos in a gloves off face to face fight or he could have decided to get him on his next shift in a ‘hockey play’ or indeed leave it to Fitzgerald to exact punishment. However, he took the action that he did.
The general consensus seems to be 5-10 games is more realistic baring in mind his misdemeanour!

I Have no sympathy also, for Fretter or Sheffield - it's clear that the call was wrong.

My issues here is that there is a system, called DOPS, that the EIHL teams, players & fans have used and 'trusted' and followed to-the-letter since it's beginning, however all of a sudden now that enough people have complained regarding the decision it will be overturned and an additional 5+ games will be added.

This is simply not fair on Sheffield, nor Fretter.
Whilst it was crystal clear that the suspension should have been more than 1 game (EVERYONE will agree on that), nevertheless the decision was made to ban the player for 1 game and in my opinion it is unfair to rectify this by sending the review to an "independent" source that EIHL clubs, fans, teams & players have NOT agreed to use.

The ban should be kept at 1 game & DOPS/Kirkham should face action/overhaul as a result.