Colton Fretter

Slartibartfast

So lets get this right. Fretter takes a full speed skate at Goulakos and gives a two handed punch to the back of the head. Goulakos is knocked to the ice. With Goulakos on his back Fretter tries to assault him again and Goulakos raises his foot to protect himself (no kicking motion).
Fretter gets a one game while ban Goulakos gets three. Unbelievable. I normally think DOPS get it right but this one looks so wrong to me.

wildthing74

Genuinely not surprised in the slightest. Yet again a decision favours the orange mob and makes our league look like a joke.

Big strides have been made in terms of talent on the ice and recruiting top players plus ourselves and Panthers represented our league so well in Europe yet DOPS is doing it's best to undermine it.

What is the point of DOPS when it seems player safely is ignored in decisions like today?

BostonBart22

Sends out a message to other players.. attack a player from behind [ coward ] in an unprovoked attack and just get a one game ban, dops just sent a message out, DO WHAT YOU LIKE, and make sure your wearing orange...

august04

Whoever is in charge of DOPS (still Simon Kirkham?), has done the EIHL a huge disservice with this decision. Any credibility our league had gained through CHL performances etc., has been greatly reduced now and this makes us look like a beer league again. An utterly disgraceful decision.

august04

Whilst the 1 game ban is crazy, the whole theory of it doing our league an injustice is a bit OTT.
Not at all, I couldn’t disagree more. While leagues around the world are stamping out this kind of thuggery, DOPS failure to act essentially condones it in this league. The hockey world is a small one and this reflects very badly on the EIHL as we try to attract better players to these shores.

Not at all, I couldn’t disagree more. While leagues around the world are stamping out this kind of thuggery, DOPS failure to act essentially condones it in this league. The hockey world is a small one and this reflects very badly on the EIHL as we try to attract better players to these shores.
I agree.
We are not going to attract talented youngsters wanting full match experience in the UK before moving up leagues around the world in fear of a career threatening injury in a goon league.Let’s face it the talented ex NHLers finishing their careers don’t want the hassle either.
I’m pretty sure Bordy & McGrattan knew that there reputation would ensure such incidents would be unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gaz G

The hockey world is enormous.

These crappy decisions have been going on for years, yet the quality of the league and players coming in is getting better every year.

What i dont get ..
He left the bench (maybe his shift) however he made a bee line for a player looking away and not playing the puck. With this he raises two had a connects with the head / neck area.
Now they say it could not be upgraded ( fecking ridiculous)
Now apart from changing pen
Couldnt they also charge him with
A fighting major
Excessive roughness
Checking from behind
Cheap shot

These DOPS are a mjor concern both in terms of player safety, but also in terms of transparency and consistency

Feel for the Belfast player (unusual for me) but not only does he have a weak 3 game ban ( from my perspective i thought he looked like he was defending another possible attack) but could have potential concussion which could cause medical issues and ruin playing careers and will if its serious take him out for more than 3 games away... ABSOLUTE JOKE

pjj365

According to AVFTB Giants have confirned Spiros has concussions and will be out for a lot longer than his ban. This podcast is definitely worth a listen Vicky Silverwood has some interesting comments

BostonBart22

According to AVFTB Giants have confirned Spiros has concussions and will be out for a lot longer than his ban. This podcast is definitely worth a listen Vicky Silverwood has some interesting comments
Confirmed yesterday a guildford player Karlsson has to retire due to concussion sustained in september, he is only 24, his hockey career over...

Whilst the 1 game ban is crazy, the whole theory of it doing our league an injustice is a bit OTT.
Not really, just look at Twitter for the comments by current and ex-players, coaches, drs etc. the damage this decision has done to this leagues reputation is enormous and the knock on effects it could have on recruitment of high quality talent cannot be overstated.

pjj365

Not really, just look at Twitter for the comments by current and ex-players, coaches, drs etc. the damage this decision has done to this leagues reputation is enormous and the knock on effects it could have on recruitment of high quality talent cannot be overstated.
Not OTT if you listen to Aaron Murphy on AVFTB where he talks about approaches from the N America hockey press and it is on ITV website (sorry can't find the link)
Despite being a Giants webcast the special edition out last night is unbiased and thoughtful/thought provoking

Gaz G

I'll be willing to bet that the standard of players in this league next year are better than they are this year.

If anyone hasn’t listened to the AVFTB webcast (Retaliation is not justification) I really recommend that you do. Apart from the expected reactions from players and fans etc,you will hear the views of Dr. Victoria Silverwood, an expert in the field of concussion who advises and represents NHL players who have suffered concussions.
She is as unequivocal in her statements as she is scathing in her opinion of DOPS. If as a league we are not taking seriously her views and opinions and indeed not accepting the repeated offers of voluntary help from someone qualified to be consulted by the NHL (the best league in the world) then I feel there could be a very high price to pay.
This league has a DUTY OF CARE to its players and this appalling DOPS ruling does nothing to promote that duty of care, moreover it seems to give the impression that DOPS is not independent and unbiased and favours a certain team or teams.
Simon Kirkham as head of DOPS should in my opinion resign today as his position is now untenable and the league need to revisit this ruling as the consequences for potential criminal and or civil actions could be catastrophic for the game we all love so much!

Temme

The whole DOPS system (*****WE ARE TOLD*****) works by the footage going out to a select number of officials/representatives from other leagues that are chosen randomly from a pool. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

In this instance it's pretty clear that they've got it wrong, however if this decision is made by... ( i'm guessing here as i can't be bothered to check the exact figures) let's say 3 out of 25 available representatives - wouldn't it make sense for DOPS to go "OK, on this occasion it looks like the representatives that we randomly selected have got the incident wrong. This will be re-looked at and sent out to a larger Cohort and a supplementary review supplied by the weekend."

Then just issue Fretter the 3-5 game ban he deserves.

august04

The whole DOPS system (*****WE ARE TOLD*****) works by the footage going out to a select number of officials/representatives from other leagues that are chosen randomly from a pool. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

In this instance it's pretty clear that they've got it wrong, however if this decision is made by... ( i'm guessing here as i can't be bothered to check the exact figures) let's say 3 out of 25 available representatives - wouldn't it make sense for DOPS to go "OK, on this occasion it looks like the representatives that we randomly selected have got the incident wrong. This will be re-looked at and sent out to a larger Cohort and a supplementary review supplied by the weekend."

Then just issue Fretter the 3-5 game ban he deserves.
I just can’t imagine that a “panel of experts from the hockey world” thought was worthy of a one game ban. If they did, they should be named and shamed. Who are these people? Do they even really exist? Agree with an earlier poster that Simon Kirkham should resign or be sacked immediately and DOPS should be disbanded today, with an immediate review by the EIHL on what player safety really means and how to punish such incidents appropriately. Enough is enough of this shambles.