Player Signing - today

bb1

A round 5 draft pick in (2003) an already week drafting year, who's been sent down numerous times. The last season he played with an NHL team (Buf) he played most of the year and they ended up dead last with the worst +\- goals in the league. The scouting report has him down as a poor skater with no offensive ability who takes silly penalties. Yeah, looks like he'll throw knucks to avenge a team mate when he has to, but that describes a third of our team already. Having little scraps here and there aint exactly our weak point. Louis, Batch, Hotham, Lord, Faryna etc

Everyone on here is hailing him as the saviour. Genuine question - Am I missing something? At face value, sure he'll have alot of experience, but the immidiate impact factor...hmmmm, only time will tell.

This will no doubt be an unpopular opinion but I think too many fans hear NEW SIGNING and NHL and think...Problem Solved.
The guy has 2 less points at NHL level with less games than Biznasty and scored 112pts (nearly 3x Biz) in 404 games in AHL.....for a hard hitting blue line scrapper that is superb!

Yann Sauve of Panthers is so far the best big d man I've seen in eihl so far. Strachans resume absolutely pisses all over Sauves. Going by that we have an absolute jem of a signing here! Can do it all.

DevilDom

Let’s give the guy a big welcome and a chance before we run him out of town shall we?

People cry out for changes, extra toughness, stay at home D-man etc and get an ex-NHLer with tons of AHL experience who ticks all the boxes and still find reason to complain?

Also, with regards injuries players may have been playing through them and will now hopefully have the chance to rest up. Maybe too Lordo will have the opportunity to coach from the bench.

Personally I’m extremely pleased with a signing of this calibre at this stage of the season. Yet again our ownership have stepped up and shown commitment above and beyond to the club.

august04

A round 5 draft pick in (2003) an already week drafting year, who's been sent down numerous times. The last season he played with an NHL team (Buf) he played most of the year and they ended up dead last with the worst +\- goals in the league. The scouting report has him down as a poor skater with no offensive ability who takes silly penalties. Yeah, looks like he'll throw knucks to avenge a team mate when he has to, but that describes a third of our team already. Having little scraps here and there aint exactly our weak point. Louis, Batch, Hotham, Lord, Faryna etc

Everyone on here is hailing him as the saviour. Genuine question - Am I missing something? At face value, sure he'll have alot of experience, but the immidiate impact factor...hmmmm, only time will tell.

This will no doubt be an unpopular opinion but I think too many fans hear NEW SIGNING and NHL and think...Problem Solved.
I wouldn’t read too much into those scouting reports on Elite Prospects. They compare players abilities against the cream of the crop which isn’t really relevant for the EIHL. I’m sure he’s plenty good enough for this league. If you can play 600 games in the NHL/AHL combined, then I’m sure he’ll do just fine in the UK!

Pleximan

I don’t think this signing had anything to do with an injury crisis. It appears that discussions started when the team were in Sweden last week and I’m fairly certain the D corps were at full strength then. We had a problem, this high calibre player solves it I’m sure. Great addition.
Agree with this. Clearly there was a need to toughen up up and this signing ticks all the boxes.

Size ✔
Toughness ✔
Ability ✔
NHL experience ✔✔✔✔
Leadership ✔
Toughness ✔
Toughness ✔
Toughness ✔

Exactly what we needed.
We wanted a tough player, not a Bordeleau, but a Weller and in Mr Strachan we have added a Defencemen who will inject immediate leadership and solidity.

Well happy with this signing. Well done Lordo, TK and the owners!

Temme

Elite Prospects write-ups are made (9/10) against their suitability for NHL level.

Nicklas Backstroms says he needs to work on his skating and conditioning & needs to improve his shot.

He's a point per game at NHL level over 750 games (200+ goals)

But if Devils were short of a goal scorer would this make him unsuitable to fill this role?

Do not underestimate the difference between a pokey beer league in the UK (Biznasty's description) and the NHL where only the world's best players play.

In 10 games with the Devils Bissonnette put up DOUBLE the points that he had achieved in FOUR NHL seasons total prior to this.

jimmy snels

And bissonnette spent the whole time coordinating the pp... he literally stood out as head and shoulders above anyone else. As did weller. Im expecting a big impact. I just hope he's ready for big minutes!

Out of interest who did people see as his partner on D? I thought fournier potentially.

Also it may mean louis could move to forward if a forward is injured not necessarily an injured d man. Louis has played power forward a lot in the past

august04

And bissonnette spent the whole time coordinating the pp... he literally stood out as head and shoulders above anyone else. As did weller. Im expecting a big impact. I just hope he's ready for big minutes!

Out of interest who did people see as his partner on D? I thought fournier potentially.

Also it may mean louis could move to forward if a forward is injured not necessarily an injured d man. Louis has played power forward a lot in the past
Please no to Louis moving up. I want to see 3 solid defensive pairings from now on, if all fit. If there are injuries in the forwards, let Reddick move up.

ASHIPP

It's a fantastic coup by the Club to sign a player well beyond our expectations who is prepared to come in and help the team into the season.

Seem to remember people being impressed when Sauve joined Panthers and discussing Jim Vandermeer (Giants) as a good defensive addition to any team. Strachan is of THAT calibre. Don't think anyone is hailing him as the Messiah - but he will bring all his experience and professionalism. 'A' on 3 AHL teams means he has good leadership skills.

As for 'being sent down to the AHL a lot from the NHL' - competition on NHL rosters is fierce. There might be several players competing for the same position.The only chance a player might have of making the team is if called up for injury cover. It's laughable to suggest someone isn't good because he was sent down....or drafted in a weak draft year. These are the top 1% of players in the world!

Mark Jankowski is ripping up the AHL at the moment...but he's still in Stockton after a few years despite having outstanding training camps because the Calgary Flames have so much depth at centre.

Last edited:
All fair comments. Let's see where he fits in. A big weekend ahead, lets hope he hits the ground running. He was in camp on a pro tryout with Arizona so he should be game ready.

If nothing else it shows the club believed the D needed more stability and they were willing to make changes to find that. More and more positive actions coming from ownership and management.

Johnnybravo1927

Lets see whos being released first before pairings are made...

I don't think anyone will be released, I certainly hope they wont anyway. They sign a seasons contract they should be entitled to play a season unless a player really wants to move and the club accepts it. Contracts are there to protect both the player and the club

I don't think anyone will be released, I certainly hope they wont anyway. They sign a seasons contract they should be entitled to play a season unless a player really wants to move and the club accepts it. Contracts are there to protect both the player and the club
Simmsey just made a comment to Steve King on twitter saying something like ‘the lad you’re releasing isn’t going to be best pleased’ and Steve didn’t deny it ... looks like someone’s going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Simmsey just made a comment to Steve King on twitter saying something like ‘the lad you’re releasing isn’t going to be best pleased’ and Steve didn’t deny it ... looks like someone’s going.

Perhaps the Brummie estate agent is making presumptions about the Club without checking the facts.....

Wannabe2

Why do you say that, Steve replied with
Thanks for the input Simmsy, I'll call you for advice before we do anything in the future.
Now does that sound like someone is going, sure don't to me.

From the creator of 'David Brine Will Be Gone By Christmas', comes another assumption that someone will leave the Cardiff Devils' ice hockey team! You'll find yourself being taken through a roller coaster of emotions including frustration, slight anger, annoyance and BOREDOM!

"Shockingly typical" - literally everyone -- "Another stellar analysis" - most people

'I Don't Think The Lad You're Letting Go Will Be Too Excited, Steve'

The truth is that no one knows what will happen - let’s just wait and see. In the mean time, I can’t wait to see strachan on the ice!

It couldn’t come at a better time, Sheffield & Nottingham’s game plans just got tougher, I’m pretty sure opposition teams knew our line combos and could react well before we were aware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk