Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 15 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 5:15pm - Chat/Updates

Pondlife

0ne thing I do not like though is the calling out of named players. To compare them to NHLers and Premier league players is not fair.

They are not mega rich stars living in gilded cages protected by vast fortunes and divorced from their community by big, slick personnel operations which have a large squad to call on so they can substitute players until their form returns - should a dip occur - or protect them should too much fan abuse impact their form. Nor are EIHLers in a position to say "enough is enough I'm going to look for a transfer and better my position"

The guys live in our community mingling with us fans on a regular basis, queue next to us in the supermarket and turn up with a smile to fan events. As such they deserve some respect for their efforts and we should leave them alone as individuals. We need to trust the professionals who manage the team and the individuals for our enjoyment.
Post of the day and it's only 8:30.

Foxy

This is getting ridiculous now and beginning to feel as though a gagging order is being implemented.
No sport has fans who wont express an opinion if they feel their team is underperforming. Personal attacks on players is a no no but to say you cant freely express an o[inion about the teams performance is ridiculous. Fans are more than capeable of noticing where the problem lies.

The team has been playing together since August. Its now October and line combinations and special teams are still not sorted. I think as Cardiff Devils fans we have shown our support for the team over the years through thick and thin but to suggest that we are not loyal because we dare to express an opinion is disrespectful to the fans.

osh

I feel compelled to just say there are also a broad section of fan base who completely over estimate their hockey knowledge based on nothing more than time watching the Devils. Unfortunately that isn't the most well rounded hockey education background to be speaking from. Hockey is a very complex tactical game and the fine detail is lost on many fans. Whilst yes it is very easy to see an underperforming player and spot a player making mistakes to actually analyse why these things are happening can give you a very different view point. The idea that what comes from the inferno, social media etc is constructive criticism is a stretch of the truth. It is for the large part simply criticism with no actual facts or analysis to back it up. In all honesty do many people offer up solutions after there criticism. No because and I say this respectfully people don't have the first clue how to actually put things right as they have a limited hockey knowledge. I think if anyone offered actual constructive criticism it would be gratefully received but a lot of what comes from the fan base criticism wise serves no other purpose but to dent confidence and cause doubt for the squad. Fans might feel better for having vented and like they will get some sort of reaction by calling players out but I fear you won't get the reaction you're looking for. Sports psychology 101. Before picking apart other people's failings it good to keep your own as a reality check. I get where fans are coming from as its human nature so I'm not calling anyone a bad fan but I fully appreciate Steve's viewpoint in calling out some of the fan base and sticking up for his team.
Sorry Mooney#16, I normally enjoy reading your posts but I completely disagree with your opinion of fans and their knowledge of the game. I find your post demeaning to many who have not been afraid to comment on poor performances and are disappointed with the manner in which the team is playing etc at this stage of the season. I won't be talked down to by anyone, and your comments smack of smug elitism which is not your normal style and surprised me to say the least. This is my last take on this only to say I still think that a solution to our problems could be replacing any 2 from 4 poor performing players sooner than later ( you asked us to offer a solution )

matbur

Shame Steve King will no longer be giving his insight on here due to the hysteria amongst some posters.

As I said a few days ago, if nothing else, Lord and his staff have at the very least earned the right for us to have faith in their decision making and judgement.

Wannabe2

Where has Steve stated he will no longer be giving his insights, he said he is taking a break for the time being. Bit of a difference there dude.

Foxy

Well here we go. Split in the fan base again.

Its not hysteria its called debate. We cant be happy clappy fans all the time. There will be times when team performances dip and fans get unhappy but that doesnt mean we are turning on owners management or coaches we just want to see the negatives turned into positives.

Look at other sports do you see everyone being in agreement all the time......... No.
Do you see football fans walking out of matches early because their team hasnt performed..... yes.
We're no different. We're not going to agree all the time but we shouldnt be turning on each other either. No one person is right but that doesnt mean it cant be talked about rationally.

They are not mega rich stars living in gilded cages protected by vast fortunes and divorced from their community by big, slick personnel operations which have a large squad to call on so they can substitute players until their form returns - should a dip occur - or protect them should too much fan abuse impact their form. Nor are EIHLers in a position to say "enough is enough I'm going to look for a transfer and better my position"

The guys live in our community mingling with us fans on a regular basis, queue next to us in the supermarket and turn up with a smile to fan events. As such they deserve some respect for their efforts and we should leave them alone as individuals. We need to trust the professionals who manage the team and the individuals for our enjoyment.
A little late to the party....but I have also taken issue particularly with the personal calling out of players, directly, on social media.

To copy a player in to your post to say that he is not good enough and should be dropped etc (and those were the polite ones!), I found appalling and made me sick to my stomach!

Would those people actually say this in person to their face in the bar after the game. Sadly, some would I know, but most wouldn’t - but find it acceptable to do so online?

These players are human and would have to be soulless to not be bothered by some of the insensitive and vitriolic attacks. To hear that a players twitter account was suspended due to the personal nature of some posts has left a very bad taste in my mouth the last few weeks.

matbur

@Foxy - don't disagree with anything you say there, your last sentence is key though - "rationally", which is subjective.

It's fine to disagree but I just feel certain posts over the last week or so have not been rational. Anyway it's done with now and we got a big weekend coming up

E.D.S.

We all pay our money to watch the Devils, we all have an opinion and we’re all entitled to do so. I’m sure that’s why this forum was created in the first place. I don’t agree with calling out players but I do agree we need changes. Let people have an opinion and if they can’t be responsible with it then let the moderators do their thing.
Lord proved me wrong last year and I’m sure he’ll do it again this and I’ll be the first to say I’m wrong. It’s not going to stop me posting. I appreciate Steve, ex players, players family members all coming on here and putting their point across but at the end of the day it’s just an opinion. It might be more educated or well informed but it’s still just an opinion. It’s what this forum is for. Keep it sensible, keep it interesting and keep this forum excelling at what it does best... discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk