Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 15 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 5:15pm - Chat/Updates

Rich Best

Hi Steve, On behalf of a group of very loyal and long standing fans, I just want to say that we 100% believe in and trust in you and the management team and are confident that this season will be a success. In many ways, with our performances in the CHL, it has already been a success. The knee jerk criticism on here is ridiculously over the top. Everyone has and is entitled to opinions and to vent frustrations - but I just thought this should be offset with some positivity. The reality remains that the vast majority of fans are behind you and the team and will stay loyal no matter what. This forum is not a true representation of the real fan base.

Gospel

team toughness isnt an issue for me this year nor last but last year there were certain incidents that went unchallenged & that was down to the players on the ice at the time. This year the team seems to be stepping up just as they should. Downside is that other teams will look to take advantage especially around Hotham as they know how good a player he is. Having him off the ice is a massive advantage to the opposition.

Performances are the biggest issue for me so far this year & certain players havent stepped up to the mark. Our PK has been awful, with some players skating around like headless chickens chasing the puck & the set up loses shape. Our PP has been just as bad, prime example is shown on the highlights in the Chavs game. No player movement, not given the player in possession of the puck any options and lanes being closed down. We are overly reliant at present on Paris just blasting everything in the net well sadly thats not going to happen every time & all teams apart from the Chavs are aware of what we have been trying to do and have stopped it. We dug out the win & the result was vital rather than the performance.

If players arent performing and are hurting by the fans saying they arent performing, well they need to do something about it then. Pull their socks up, work harder, concentrate harder to improve. If somebody plays professional sport for a living and it means they perform in front of paying members of the public then they have to accept criticism especially if they read stuff like The Inferno, it goes with the territory. I dont agree that it should be constant bombardment on social media though.

Last point, Hotham was lucky to have avoided DOPS especially as its clear on the video but Hicks was watching it as it happened so no guess thats a lucky escape for us.

august04

I find the revisionist history both on this forum and also on Twitter and personal conversations at IAW to be shocking. Last year all I read on here early on is how much we missed Hendo and that Benti and Ulmer should be sacked. The recurring theme was that despite bringing Bordy in that our skill players were being taken advantage of without retribution. It annoyed people that Hotham was leading he team in fights last year. Hendo jumping Lord, foul play on Hotham, Bowns and others all went unanswered last year. I have no idea how people have forgotten that and now feel that Bordy was such a key cog. To me, that very issue was the only slight blemish on a magical year.

So this year, our team has stuck up for each other on every occasion- most recently Hotham but previously Batch, Louis and Faryna. To talk about toughness as the reason for a couple more losses than last year at this stage is quite frankly just flat out wrong. The reason for our losses has been suspect team defensive play, and special teams.

The pervasive negativity surrounding this team from some fans seems to have fed on itself. That's certainly your right and prerogative but I would have thought that the last three years of success from these players and this staff would have earned a wee bit more trust and patience. I know for myself I'll be taking a break from things as I've found that it's really taken some of the joy out of the season. I get as mad as anybody after a loss but my goodness folks - this is Mid-October and we're still very much in the hunt for every piece of hardware! I know we've gone through this every year but this year seems particularly venomous and it's been noticed by the players.

Changes will only be made if a sizeable upgrade can be made. If that happens, great. If not, I hope this group gets the tremendous support that you've given them in the past. I can absolutely guarantee that they'll be giving everything they've got both on the ice and in the community. Will they win it all again? I still expect to but the beauty of sports is that nobody ever know how things play out.

Sorry for the rant but I had to vent. Also, please don't take this as trying to prevent negative comments on this forum. Absolutely fair game whether justified or not.
If negative comments are being heard on the Inferno, Twitter and at IAW (and not just by some posters on here), then I’d be listening to them instead of dismissing them out of hand. I hear the disappointment with this team from hundreds of fans on exiting IAW after every below par performance this season (and there have been a few), not just on social media. It’s very real and it’s not just about lack of toughness, in fact it’s usually about defensive cock ups and/or being outworked yet again, rather than toughness or any lack of it. Defensively, we've been dreadful at times with one, maybe two players clearly not up to this level which is effecting the play of others too. I don’t need to name the one or two, we all know who I’m referring to, so why they are still here is an absolute mystery to me. There’s one change that could be made immediately which could have a huge impact on this team and their defensive capability. Also, I don’t think anyone missed Hendo last season, he just wasn’t good enough on the big ice (although he did stick up for his team mates and I respected him for that) and I’d agree that Bordeleau didn’t live up to his billing (or his pay cheque!), particularly in his lack of response to the running of Bowns in the latter part of the season (don’t think he was here when Hendo jumped Lord), but I’ve seen plenty of cheap shots on the team so far this year, more so than last. That has to indicate that Bordeleau's presence had some effect, even if only by previous reputation. Bloody hell, even Guildford were running Martin and Richardson this past weekend! And our best player is answering the call. That’s not right, we need him on the ice.
Nobody is questioning the ability of the coach, MD or ownership group. That’s a fact and the gratitude and goodwill towards Lord, Kelman and particularly the owners has been made abundantly clear time and time again both on here, social media and in person during visits to IAW these past few years. That level of goodwill won’t change either as it’s crystal clear that the club is in great hands and our position far in excess of what we could have hoped for 4 years ago when everything looked so bleak. However, the danger in coming on here and being so close to the fan base, is that criticism inevitably comes the team's way when things aren’t going so well. It’s always been that way in Cardiff and always will be. Given the overly political nature of this club's history, everybody likes to have a say, in fact it was almost actively encouraged in the past and that's great when things are going well, but we're not shy to voice our opinions when things aren’t either. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember and I don’t see it changing. And you’re always going to get more negativity (some may call it realism) on here, that’s just the nature of public forums.
I’m looking forward to seeing the team give everything they’ve got on the ice for the rest of this season, as that hasn’t always been the case so far this season in domestic competition, far from it. If they do that, then that’s fine by me. We can’t win all the time, nobody expects that - but if they’re giving their all, then we can’t ask for any more.

ASHIPP

If negative comments are being heard on the Inferno, Twitter and at IAW (and not just by some posters on here), then I’d be listening to them instead of dismissing them out of hand. I hear the disappointment with this team from hundreds of fans on exiting IAW after every below par performance this season (and there have been a few), not just on social media. It’s very real and it’s not just about lack of toughness, in fact it’s usually about defensive cock ups and/or being outworked yet again, rather than toughness or any lack of it. Defensively, we've been dreadful at times with one, maybe two players clearly not up to this level which is effecting the play of others too. I don’t need to name the one or two, we all know who I’m referring to, so why they are still here is an absolute mystery to me. There’s one change that could be made immediately which could have a huge impact on this team and their defensive capability. Also, I don’t think anyone missed Hendo last season, he just wasn’t good enough on the big ice (although he did stick up for his team mates and I respected him for that) and I’d agree that Bordeleau didn’t live up to his billing (or his pay cheque!), particularly in his lack of response to the running of Bowns in the latter part of the season (don’t think he was here when Hendo jumped Lord), but I’ve seen plenty of cheap shots on the team so far this year, more so than last. That has to indicate that Bordeleau's presence had some effect, even if only by previous reputation. Bloody hell, even Guildford were running Martin and Richardson this past weekend! And our best player is answering the call. That’s not right, we need him on the ice.
Nobody is questioning the ability of the coach, MD or ownership group. That’s a fact and the gratitude and goodwill towards Lord, Kelman and particularly the owners has been made abundantly clear time and time again both on here, social media and in person during visits to IAW these past few years. That level of goodwill won’t change either as it’s crystal clear that the club is in great hands and our position far in excess of what we could have hoped for 4 years ago when everything looked so bleak. However, the danger in coming on here and being so close to the fan base, is that criticism inevitably comes the team's way when things aren’t going so well. It’s always been that way in Cardiff and always will be. Given the overly political nature of this club's history, everybody likes to have a say, in fact it was almost actively encouraged in the past and that's great when things are going well, but we're not shy to voice our opinions when things aren’t either. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember and I don’t see it changing. And you’re always going to get more negativity (some may call it realism) on here, that’s just the nature of public forums.
I’m looking forward to seeing the team give everything they’ve got on the ice for the rest of this season, as that hasn’t always been the case so far this season in domestic competition, far from it. If they do that, then that’s fine by me. We can’t win all the time, nobody expects that - but if they’re giving their all, then we can’t ask for any more.
This is an excellent post, August04

To the poster who suggested that a majority of stuff on here was c**p - is that because you don't like those opinions/observations....or you just think the post/posters are stupid? The right to debate observations and make comments is valid for any fan on a democratic forum. Many of these posters are decades long followers of ice hockey here and abroad - there is a difference between having reasonable knowledge and being a' know it all'.

To the poster who suggested that the Inferno is not representative of the fanbase, I'm afraid that many of the comments and observations on here are ones that are heard being discussed and debated now amongst the crowd during period breaks and on the way back to the car parks after the game.

Reading through the posts, it's a struggle to find negative comments of the Ownership, our MD or our Head Coach.......or the majority of the team. And why would there be? This truly fantastic Organisation has exceeded our wildest dreams in the last 3 years and is doing a really wonderful job promoting the sport and league.

What HAS drawn comment and criticism are the subpar performances (for whatever reasons) of a small handful of the same named players....and some systems that are not working as well as they did, and should. This is what is really being observed in games and inconsistent pps and pks are hard to disguise when statistics might back it up.

It's easy to give, and well deserved to accept, plaudits/praise when things are going well. Much harder to stomach observations and comments when things are inconsistent - it's life.
Is it Armageddon? Does it mean that we won't be there at the next game, willing our Guys to perform well and detesting the opposition? Of course we'll be there. But, as paying customers, we have a right to make comments on what we see, debate the reasons why....whether things are going well or not.

Last edited:

osh

Well, I couldn't have bettered the constructive comments made by both August04 and ASHIPP.

In answer to Steve Kings post I would say the following. Steve, as always we are lucky to have one of the owners stating their position regarding the team. I normally agree with 90% of your posts, however, I fear you have got things wrong this time around. "Pervasive negativity from some fans", like others on here, I think you are using literary licence and it's not pervasive negativity as you suggest of our team's performances but constructive criticism from fans who know a bit about the sport as well. I also think you are underestimating the hockey knowledge of fans - both long standing, and those who have been watching more recently - who know a bad team performance, and an individual poor performing player when we sit through some of the dire performances this season, and are of afraid to say so either. We praise when players and team excel, so we are fully entitled to show displeasure when necessary.
You have stated that poor defence and poor special teams ( pp and pk ) is responsible. Whilst I totally agree with that, you fail to mention poor build up play 5 on 5, poor decision making at crucial times, poor finishing and finally surely by this time we should have settled lines ( they change far too often ). As an owner, I fully understand you will always support the team and coach on a forum, and like you, we fans who offer constructive criticism of poor performances will be there at the next game to support as we always do, just don't expect us to stay mute when the team at times get things wrong, which is happening far too often so soon into a new season. Just how long our inconsistent form is allowed to continue for is entirely up to you as owners and those who run the team.

I find the revisionist history both on this forum and also on Twitter and personal conversations at IAW to be shocking. Last year all I read on here early on is how much we missed Hendo and that Benti and Ulmer should be sacked. The recurring theme was that despite bringing Bordy in that our skill players were being taken advantage of without retribution. It annoyed people that Hotham was leading he team in fights last year. Hendo jumping Lord, foul play on Hotham, Bowns and others all went unanswered last year. I have no idea how people have forgotten that and now feel that Bordy was such a key cog. To me, that very issue was the only slight blemish on a magical year.

So this year, our team has stuck up for each other on every occasion- most recently Hotham but previously Batch, Louis and Faryna. To talk about toughness as the reason for a couple more losses than last year at this stage is quite frankly just flat out wrong. The reason for our losses has been suspect team defensive play, and special teams.

The pervasive negativity surrounding this team from some fans seems to have fed on itself. That's certainly your right and prerogative but I would have thought that the last three years of success from these players and this staff would have earned a wee bit more trust and patience. I know for myself I'll be taking a break from things as I've found that it's really taken some of the joy out of the season. I get as mad as anybody after a loss but my goodness folks - this is Mid-October and we're still very much in the hunt for every piece of hardware! I know we've gone through this every year but this year seems particularly venomous and it's been noticed by the players.

Changes will only be made if a sizeable upgrade can be made. If that happens, great. If not, I hope this group gets the tremendous support that you've given them in the past. I can absolutely guarantee that they'll be giving everything they've got both on the ice and in the community. Will they win it all again? I still expect to but the beauty of sports is that nobody ever know how things play out.

Sorry for the rant but I had to vent. Also, please don't take this as trying to prevent negative comments on this forum. Absolutely fair game whether justified or not.

One thing you need to know about the Welsh, we moan, a lot, we don’t mean too, it’s just the way we are. You may find this of interest, relates to sports fans. Poor Terry Matthews and he’s Welsh.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/whining-welsh-people-really-need-10975253

I guess it’s the result of decades of rubbish owners and crap, add the fact that from the start the of the Devils club we led the way, we where the team to beat. Fans just want to be the best, yes we had a great year last year, we are greedy, we want this year to be spectacular and the next Stellar. Then we can have some average years. Had circumstances of the past been different, had we had real investment in the club and facilities fans would probably be a little less demanding and critical, but then l fear you guys wouldn’t be in the privileged position your currently in. Surely your aware most sports suffer fan backlash when performances are poor and results go south, especially when experienced fans with more than your average knowledge of the sport see issues. I guess it’s part of the experience, one year people are eternally grateful, the next, not so much. Just remember being positive in a negative situation is not naive, it’s leadership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jenks33

Outstanding post. Agree with every single word of this. Standing ovation

osh

Hi Steve, On behalf of a group of very loyal and long standing fans, I just want to say that we 100% believe in and trust in you and the management team and are confident that this season will be a success. In many ways, with our performances in the CHL, it has already been a success. The knee jerk criticism on here is ridiculously over the top. Everyone has and is entitled to opinions and to vent frustrations - but I just thought this should be offset with some positivity. The reality remains that the vast majority of fans are behind you and the team and will stay loyal no matter what. This forum is not a true representation of the real fan base.
On behalf of very loyal and long standing fans, I also just want to say we 100% believe in you and hope that if the management team make the right decisions we hope that this season will be a success. Knee jerk reactions ? ( don't think so )
Make no mistake, those offering constructive criticism are behind you and the team ( that's why we spend money to support the Devils ) the reality remains that we will stay loyal no matter what, this forum however is a fair representation of the real fan base. And if Rich Best is suggesting that those of us why are critical of poor performances, poor play and work ethic as we see it are not real fans, I would say he is deluded ( but a deluded loyal fan !! )

Maybe Coventry want to settle it on the ice and give paquette the license to run riot and target hotham or no choice him.We have them on the 28th of this month so he would have had a ban if they did request a review.I think it going to be a barnburner that game tasty!!

Mooney#16

Well, I couldn't have bettered the constructive comments made by both August04 and ASHIPP.

In answer to Steve Kings post I would say the following. Steve, as always we are lucky to have one of the owners stating their position regarding the team. I normally agree with 90% of your posts, however, I fear you have got things wrong this time around. "Pervasive negativity from some fans", like others on here, I think you are using literary licence and it's not pervasive negativity as you suggest of our team's performances but constructive criticism from fans who know a bit about the sport as well. I also think you are underestimating the hockey knowledge of fans - both long standing, and those who have been watching more recently - who know a bad team performance, and an individual poor performing player when we sit through some of the dire performances this season, and are of afraid to say so either. We praise when players and team excel, so we are fully entitled to show displeasure when necessary.
You have stated that poor defence and poor special teams ( pp and pk ) is responsible. Whilst I totally agree with that, you fail to mention poor build up play 5 on 5, poor decision making at crucial times, poor finishing and finally surely by this time we should have settled lines ( they change far too often ). As an owner, I fully understand you will always support the team and coach on a forum, and like you, we fans who offer constructive criticism of poor performances will be there at the next game to support as we always do, just don't expect us to stay mute when the team at times get things wrong, which is happening far too often so soon into a new season. Just how long our inconsistent form is allowed to continue for is entirely up to you as owners and those who run the team.
I feel compelled to just say there are also a broad section of fan base who completely over estimate their hockey knowledge based on nothing more than time watching the Devils. Unfortunately that isn't the most well rounded hockey education background to be speaking from. Hockey is a very complex tactical game and the fine detail is lost on many fans. Whilst yes it is very easy to see an underperforming player and spot a player making mistakes to actually analyse why these things are happening can give you a very different view point. The idea that what comes from the inferno, social media etc is constructive criticism is a stretch of the truth. It is for the large part simply criticism with no actual facts or analysis to back it up. In all honesty do many people offer up solutions after there criticism. No because and I say this respectfully people don't have the first clue how to actually put things right as they have a limited hockey knowledge. I think if anyone offered actual constructive criticism it would be gratefully received but a lot of what comes from the fan base criticism wise serves no other purpose but to dent confidence and cause doubt for the squad. Fans might feel better for having vented and like they will get some sort of reaction by calling players out but I fear you won't get the reaction you're looking for. Sports psychology 101. Before picking apart other people's failings it good to keep your own as a reality check. I get where fans are coming from as its human nature so I'm not calling anyone a bad fan but I fully appreciate Steve's viewpoint in calling out some of the fan base and sticking up for his team.

ASHIPP

People don't offer up solutions because it is not down to them to fix the issues.

Many fans won't always know the finer details of face off styles, or the positioning of players on the pk, or how to take advantage in 3 on 3 overtime. Does that mean that they can't pass comments if they are disappointed or frustrated?
Or offer an intelligent observation on what they actually witness isn't quite right?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to identify a below par individual performance. And some of the issues have nothing to do with the complex strategies of the game. Issues like fitness levels, speed, physical strength against opposition players and the rudiments of on-ice leadership. Some of these are basic requirements in sport.

Most peoplein their lives will have experienced performance evaluation from bosses, peers, auditors, their customers. It's normal. Individuals in sport should not be exempt because it might knock their confidence. Take a look at one or two of the NHL fan forums, or even the soccer forums over here, or some sports pages in the British papers -now that is vitriolic.

Last edited:
I feel compelled to just say there are also a broad section of fan base who completely over estimate their hockey knowledge based on nothing more than time watching the Devils. Unfortunately that isn't the most well rounded hockey education background to be speaking from. Hockey is a very complex tactical game and the fine detail is lost on many fans. Whilst yes it is very easy to see an underperforming player and spot a player making mistakes to actually analyse why these things are happening can give you a very different view point. The idea that what comes from the inferno, social media etc is constructive criticism is a stretch of the truth. It is for the large part simply criticism with no actual facts or analysis to back it up. In all honesty do many people offer up solutions after there criticism. No because and I say this respectfully people don't have the first clue how to actually put things right as they have a limited hockey knowledge. I think if anyone offered actual constructive criticism it would be gratefully received but a lot of what comes from the fan base criticism wise serves no other purpose but to dent confidence and cause doubt for the squad. Fans might feel better for having vented and like they will get some sort of reaction by calling players out but I fear you won't get the reaction you're looking for. Sports psychology 101. Before picking apart other people's failings it good to keep your own as a reality check. I get where fans are coming from as its human nature so I'm not calling anyone a bad fan but I fully appreciate Steve's viewpoint in calling out some of the fan base and sticking up for his team.
I fully agree.....

It’s like politics, we vote for leaders having not a clue how to run a country, we constantly argue who is right or wrong & what should be done. The President of the United States, most powerful man on the planet, voted in by idiots.
The views of the public shouldn’t be listened too, I’d go as far as to ban any outlet that facilitates these wildly inaccurate viewpoints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pjj365

This is forum is taken too seriously by many after all it is a bit like the pub - an online pub. And who knows how to run a pub best - the customers who have never run one or the ones who worked in one years ago and, yes the ones who fought tooth and nail to keep it open when faced with closure. This group deserve respect. Needless to say though, the longer someone has been a customer the better they know how to run that pub even though the market has changed and it can no longer be the pub it was years ago. We all know these people - to a greater or lesser extent we are these people.

But, importantly, in the pub all opinions are valid and should be tolerated otherwise alcohol (substitute passion and commitment) will fuel trouble. And who knows in all the chatter there may be a germ of valid opinion there may even be a fundamental truth and they should be listened to - through gritted teeth if necessary. As such, opinions other than the extreme, the disruptive or hurtful, should be tolerated.

0ne thing I do not like though is the calling out of named players. To compare them to NHLers and Premier league players is not fair.

They are not mega rich stars living in gilded cages protected by vast fortunes and divorced from their community by big, slick personnel operations which have a large squad to call on so they can substitute players until their form returns - should a dip occur - or protect them should too much fan abuse impact their form. Nor are EIHLers in a position to say "enough is enough I'm going to look for a transfer and better my position"

The guys live in our community mingling with us fans on a regular basis, queue next to us in the supermarket and turn up with a smile to fan events. As such they deserve some respect for their efforts and we should leave them alone as individuals. We need to trust the professionals who manage the team and the individuals for our enjoyment.

Rempel16

Well based on that, the average fan shouldn't have an opinion in any sport ever.
I usually tend to agree with a lot of your posts, but no matter how you have dressed it up, you've basically said that there's a high horse and you're on top of it.

I think you need to give fans more credit. Why do we have to come up with solutions? If Andrew Lord had to look to the forum to find the solution as to why the team isn't quite right then quite frankly he is in the wrong profession. Thankfully he isn't and i trust him to get it right - it's the least he deserves after what he's done for us.

But, hockey knowledge or not, it isn't difficult to see that the team balance / chemistry / whatever, is off this season (so far).