Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 15 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 5:15pm - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

All credit to the Devils - a regulation win and lead the game throughout.

Keeps their CC qualification hopes just about alive.

This was a game they had to win.They got the result they needed.

Slartibartfast

I guess a win is a win but that was not a good performance. Many sloppy errors but luckily Blaze made even more. Simmsy commented after the first period that he hopes these 2 teams play like this against the Steelers. Harsh, but reluctantly I have to agree with him.
I agree with the comments on the new signings though. I thought Crowder had an excellent game as did Paris and Pope is consistently good.
But the lines have changed again leading to little chemistry and lots of stray passes.
I think we have the right players but are struggling to get the right combinations. I was so excited when Faryna joined and he gives 100% but I think Lord is struggling to find the right line for him. I have a feeling when he finds it (and Im sure he will) it will be key to the teams success.
We have had a couple of lines working and saw some beautiful hockey from them. Recently the first and fourth lines were the best but now the fourth line has lost Crowder. But Crowder played great on his new line tonight so its a toughie for Lord. I hope we get it sorted soon otherwise we will have a big hill to climb.
One last point. Bownsie is a hero.

Did anyone notice that Richie seemed to be missing from a lot of the 2nd/3rd periods of the game? And I thought I saw Asselin in warm up but not in the game?

Gospel

Tonights result more mportant than the performance lets be honest. Lets hope we can kick on from this & string some results together & start to play better.

kettdevil1

Did anyone notice that Richie seemed to be missing from a lot of the 2nd/3rd periods of the game? And I thought I saw Asselin in warm up but not in the game?
Ritchie blocked a shot early on and looked to be in pain.... Lordo was also missing for a fair time so real surprise that the lines were all over the place!

The result was what counted today, not a classic but an important win

bb1

Great result from an average performance by our standards.
Blaze Verlland.....what a find! Superb wheels and strong on the puck. Bossed it for them.

Hotham will have to answer the bell next game vs Blaze. As game as he is he may have bitten off more than he can chew. Love how he sticks up for guys but it was a dumb penalty and he did the same last season breaking a panthers players wrist leading to a ban. Not what we want our MVP doing.

kettdevil1

Great result from an average performance by our standards.
Blaze Verlland.....what a find! Superb wheels and strong on the puck. Bossed it for them.

Hotham will have to answer the bell next game vs Blaze. As game as he is he may have bitten off more than he can chew. Love how he sticks up for guys but it was a dumb penalty and he did the same last season breaking a panthers players wrist leading to a ban. Not what we want our MVP doing.
That was my initial thought but after reflection, I disagree.

When Ben was threatened early in the game there was a noticeable reluctance from most of the players on the Ice to engage the Blaze player, in the end it was Benti who took the role which frankly he shouldn’t have to. For a period after that Paquette (who was strangely effective) ran riot and it culminated on the awful check to (I think) Faryna. Hoth was just about the nearest player and without hesitation he retaliated, maybe he shouldn’t have slashed but.... it needed a reaction and it would have been far worse if we had just let Paquette get away with it.

I am concerned that one of our best players appears to be taking the role of enforcer but..... credit to him for doing so.

bb1

I agree that someone should have reacted but a slash like that is dumb. He is a warrior and plays on emotion but not a good play. He taking on that role and is to valuable to have to. Pacquette is tough as but imagine it was Gagnon or Fitz. Should we expect him to go with those guys.

The way I see it this season he will have a lot of fights and the danger is we may have to suffer as a team because of it.

Last edited:
If you noticed after the game on Sat, Hoth had his hand bandaged and I suspect when he went to retaliate for the hit on Faryna he couldn't fight because of a injured hand and slashed instead. Bad penalty ? Maybe but when you're in the heat of the battle, split second decisions aren't always the best. Hate to bring this up but when you don't have a deterant like the Devils had last year( Bordy ) this is going to happen again and again. Hoth was lucky on Saturday night that he didn't get the instigator and he steps up again on Sunday night, albeit not a smart play. So the question is, who else is going to start stepping up ? You don't want one of your top players being taken off the ice for 5 minutes or more. That's exactly what the other teams are looking for and it's only going to get worse if someone else doesn't start stepping up or they don't go out and get an legitimate enforcer