Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - Sat 14 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

matbur

Matbur, I have no idea what team you have been watching, and why you seem so comfortable with everything. However you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how off beam it is.
Ha! I'm not comfortable with it at all, I just have faith in Lord and his staff to deal with it. Knee jeek unconsidered actions would be just as dangerous as not making any changes, yet judging the sentiment on here, half the roster should be axed!!

Johnnybravo1927

All very well gassing players but who steps in to replace them? Its mid october so most players are signed, those that arent will not be match fit, some available players may not be a good fit, others may not want to move to the otherside of the world for £600 a week. Not saying our team is faultless but looking at our team we have the nucleus of last seasons team and they did ok.

matbur

Half was tongue in cheek, as the poster above says, what guarantees are there at this time of the season that we'll be able to recruit adequate replacements? I'd have thought anyone worth their salt will already be signed up somewhere.

Now the CHL is over, I just feel now is the time to let the dust settle, take stock and then act decisively, however that may look.

Have you ever heard of Fall NHL/AHL training camps finishing this time of year. Now is the time those players who have not gained the contract they were hoping for and have been in touch with the Devils are now open to talk to. Matbur, I'm so happy your not running things!!!

Wannabe2

Half ain't tongue in cheek, it's ludicrous, no one has suggested anywhere near that number, as no one is that silly. As for the time of year this moment in time is as good as any. We all want to win tonight, we all want to win next weekend, this ain't no witch hunt, it's just people who care passionately and want to express their concerns. If the guys who haven't been playing well, turn it around, then so be it,but some don't seem capable of doing just that.

Gospel

If any team is looking to get new players in wouldnt this be the best time to do it? Players trying to get contracts so looking to impress but if left until 4,6, 8 weeks time fitness would be worse? Just a thought.

If the current squad of players are given more time but are not able to improve & get the required results how long should they be given? When is it too late?

matbur

That's the best post I've seen in favour of making changes now.

At the end of the day, I'm not trying to cause needless arguements on here, I just think we need to have faith in Lord and the management's decision making processes - they've earned it.

Come on people, you really didn realise Matbur was joking with the half the roster comment??
I think a problem may be that Reddick and Crowder were signed as possibly cheaper options. Croowder looking for a team in his circumstances and Reddick not quite being of the necessary standard.
Any replacements for those 2 may be a biggish increse in budget.
I thought it at the time of the signings.

That just doesn't make sense...

So, you feel the coaching staff might not be up to the job despite winning championships last season and despite the fact you have no idea or insight into what their strengths and qualities are in their role, on the basis of our performances across nine domestic games this season and the CHL (an intense, high end competition which the team had no experience competing in)???

Those aren't opinion, they're the facts so I just don't see your point sorry.
Ok, l will explain it differently.

How do you judge the performance of Andrew Lord ?

Is your opinion of him as a major asset to the club based on your position as an employee within the club, you have an exclusive insight of his strengths, qualities in the role. His behaviour in the changing room, his team talks to the players, his strategy prior to the game.

Do you sit down with Andrew Lord and analyse his performance ?

I’m going out on a limb and guessing it’s a no, you have no more knowledge of how Andrew Lord manages the team than l or any other observer, you judge his achievements in the same manner l and any other fan does. So your no more qualified to express confidence in his abilities as l am in the possibility he’s out of his depth. We both judge him on results. I’m just more coach critical than others here who rightly or wrongly blame players. For me as a simple fan l would agree players are not very good, l don’t necessarily blame the player, but the person who chose the player, l don’t know if Andrew has totality in that decision.

I stated a few weeks ago I’m not surprised at the situation, I’m still not. Is Andrew Lord a one trick pony, one lucky season winner. I don’t know, we will know in several years, until then.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Come on people, you really didn realise Matbur was joking with the half the roster comment??
I think a problem may be that Reddick and Crowder were signed as possibly cheaper options. Croowder looking for a team in his circumstances and Reddick not quite being of the necessary standard.
Any replacements for those 2 may be a biggish increse in budget.
I thought it at the time of the signings.
For a team targeted with retaining three titles, surely the objective is to improve upon the previous year's team to stay ahead of the rest? That might mean investing a bit more in the calibre of any new players coming in...and at the same time might strengthen your position with so many competitions and titles to defend.

I look at some of the Giants' skilled players signed this off season and wondered why we had not secured the services of such calibre throughout the team. I mean our Club can offer just the same if not more to players. I figured the financial outlay required to fund the Devils' CHL campaign had resulted in a reduction in player budget. Whatever the reasons, surely it's a false economy if players brought in on a reduced budget either underperform mentally or are not fit or skilled enough to cope with the domestic competition - these are the very games where they need to perform to a consistently high standard to retain the titles last year's team worked so hard for.

Last edited:
Nottingham currently 4-0 against Belfast, playing and advanced in same CHL competition as us. Must say I was impressed with quite a number of their roster when announced, even more impressed now. BUT we can only hope that the tide will turn and wins come our way with this team or changes are made. Got everything crossed for a big performance tonight.

bb1

Josh Williamson......to clarify:

Lords 1st season....3nd in league/CC winners
2nd season....second in league/CC final runners up
3rd season.....won league/CC/2nd POFW

Think he's proven himself already. So stop talking about one trick pony stuff. It's pathetic.

Has Lordo got things wrong at times.....yes, absolutely he has. This year's recruitment isn't his best but can he turn things around.....I think he can. Even if he doesn't he's still earned his worth as a big time coach.

As for players available now, there are plenty of guys who we could get for a decent wage. Will we.......i hope so.

ASHIPP

Yes I totally agree with you on that, but do you think there is something in my thinking?
Well yeah, as in many things in life, you have to invest if you are serious about achieving targets.

I know nothing about the recruitment policy or budgets of the Club but I would imagine that the 3 most senior and experienced players on the team last year (Bordy, Brine, S Hotham) would not have been on low contracts. We lost them and along with that some leadership and winning mentality. That has not been replaced - and to aquire it would still probably involve considerable outlay at this point.

Last edited:
Josh Williamson......to clarify:

Lords 1st season....3nd in league/CC winners
2nd season....second in league/CC final runners up
3rd season.....won league/CC/2nd POFW

Think he's proven himself already. So stop talking about one trick pony stuff. It's pathetic.

Has Lordo got things wrong at times.....yes, absolutely he has. This year's recruitment isn't his best but can he turn things around.....I think he can. Even if he doesn't he's still earned his worth as a big time coach.

As for players available now, there are plenty of guys who we could get for a decent wage. Will we.......i hope so.
Ok maybe the one trick pony was a bit off the mark.

You agree the league has improved, year on year ?

So why not replace bench staff ?

I’m not calling for Lord to be replaced. That’ll never happen, to much sentiment, to much of a cosy club ethos.

Having said that a coach has no more entitlement than a player, when one ceases to perform their replaced, no matter what the role. Unless you believe loyalty is more important than performance.

Well yeah, as in many things in life, you have to invest if you are serious about achieving targets.

I know nothing about the recruitment policy or budgets of the Club but I would imagine that the 3 most senior and experienced players on the team last year (Bordy, Brine, S Hotham) would not have been on low contracts. We lost them and along with that some leadership and winning mentality. That has not been replaced - and to aquire it would probably involve considerable outlay at this point.
It maybe nothing, but KPS Holdings Ltd is registered on companies house as the owners of the Devils, that’s King, Parker, Shostak listed as Persons with significant control and Todd as Director. The company was issued on the 8/8/17 with a Compulsory strike off, 2 months notice to resolve, if not the company would be struck off the registrar and dissolved. That resolution expired last week.