Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - Sat 14 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

Unfortunately I think it's more than 2 , I actually think it's 3/4 and I get no buzz saying that. If we intend to win the league/ play offs, then unfortunately I can't see us doing it with this team. We lost some very good influential players last season, players like Hotham/ Culligan through no fault of the club I may add, but they haven't been replaced, and that's a great shame. It's never nice having a go at your beloved club, and it hurts as it's personnel but something certainly needs to happen. Big crowds are only big when the product is there, and sadly at the moment it's not, It very tough getting to the top, and we all know it's even tougher staying there, but having tasted the fruits of success we all certainly want more. Hopefully our organisation are sound enough to turn this around, our gaff is the best place in the league when it's buzzing, let's do whatever it takes guys.

It’s going to need some form of change. Ironically the Devils could be in danger of repeating the past, at the other side of the spectrum. We have refreshingly unique owners with a completely different ethos to those of the past. We need to have a balance, treat the club and players with respect, but also retain and use a level of ruthlessness when required. It’s nice to see them visit, engage with fans, sing our songs, it’s a breath of fresh air. Flip the coin though, fans are paying money, it’s an expensive night for many and whilst it maybe a jolly for the owners, to be owners of an Ice Hockey club, to be treated by fans as saviours, it still needs to be run professionally, as a business, to be able to succeed, it needs to compete. The time is getting closer for the past comments to become reality, for those changes to actually be made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Losing three senior players last year in Brine, S Hotham and Bordy is a big dent in leadership and experience. Those guys knew how to lead, how to influence, how to win. Add the loss of Chris Culligan (best two way player in the league). These guys are hard to replace in terms of calibre.

Add to that the marked increase in speed and aggression this season. The team is struggling to match those qualities.

To stay ahead you have to either adapt what you have, or make neccessary changes.

Pleximan

Last night's loss to Guildford was totally unacceptable. Too many players playing below the required standard and some just clearly not capable of reaching it.

The CHL was a great experience with some excellent results achieved but that competition is gone now for us. I am 100% certain that this team will win nothing this year, it will be a certain goodbye to our titles when we should have been more than capable of defending them. Relinquishing the Challenge Cup is now iminent and if we don't make changes NOW we will quickly be 10pts+ off the league title race.

Nottingham next week...as a ST holder I think I will leave my seat empty and do something else. We are not good enough right now, for me 2 import Defencemen need to be changed and 2 or 3 import fowards. 5 players? Drastic I know, but the harsh reality is that we are far weaker in the league than last year. If we want to keep our domestic expectations then changes need to be made NOW before its too late.

So disappointing!

Wannabe2

I think this league is at its highest calibre ever, teams have improved dramatically, and the new teams are as good as anyone, and that's where our problems lies, we have unfortunately gone backwards. Taking nothing away from our European adventure, but I wonder if it's easier to play as the underdog, and not being expected to win, you go that extra mile, and it spurs you on, as opposed to being the favourite, and expected to win adds much more pressure, one slight setback and it's uphill then all the way. This isn't a comment to smooth over the cracks that are obviously there, but maybe a reason why we had a bit of success in Europe, and maybe a reason for thinking we may be better than we actually are, if that makes sense. Devils have no more right than anyone to be successful, but I think we have a right to be entertained and a right to go home satisfied, whether we win or lose. At the moment sadly we are not good enough, Haddad was a huge loss last night, put that along with carrying too many passengers and it's going to be one long night ( as it certainly was ). Changes certainly need addressing, however who is out there is another concern, most Devils fans can't wait for the weekend to come around, to go see their beloved club, they are certainly turning out in their droves at the moment, and creating a atmosphere up there with the best, however it's not a case of trying harder unfortunately, it's a case of some are just not up to it, sad state of affairs but true. Anyway I am sure our club see the weaknesses we have, and act accordingly.

Gough60

So poor last night. Had high hopes when got equaliser but even 3 on 3 OT looked lacklustre.
Disappointed and feel the same as many posted on this thread.
On a slightly brighter note, 2 wins over blaze I think will get us the last qualifying spot. (7pts). Stars are all done and 3rd with 6pts. It's still a possibility. Seem to remember qualifying by skin of teeth last year.
Come on you devils.

matbur

You mean all twenty-odd seconds in OT?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone's passionate about the Devils but the overreaction in some of these posts doesn't help anything.

I still think it's premature to be writing off sections of the team and even coaching staff (as I've read here - I'd love to know how much time that poster has spent in the changing room, travelling with the team, sitting in team meetings, working on analysis and in team practice btw!).

If nothing else, Lord and his staff have at the very least earned the right for us to have faith in their decision making and judgement.

At the end of the day, we as paying fans are just airing our displeasure of spending good money and time each week to go and see a team underperform.

Everyone is bound to be frustrated right now - To see such stellar performances in the CHL, and then what we saw last night - it makes no sense!

If the challenge cup becomes out of reach after tonight, then there are still the playoffs and League to play for! Neither of which are anywhere near being written off yet...

Do I think we will win anything if we carry on with a complete lack of consistency? No, but there is still time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

august04

When things are going well, nobody questions our unique coaching setup. Unfortunately, it’s bound to be raised when the team is clearly struggling. Most on here, me included, still cry out for Lord to play every game yet he’s failed to register a single point in 7 games. But he plays with far more heart and grit than many of our other forwards and simply on that basis, must play. Personally, I think the time has come for Morrissette to step down from playing and help Lord run the bench, as he did so successfully last season when injured. He’s been a great player for the club but is anonymous in most games now and certainly not the driving force that I like to see in a captain. That’s not the only change needed. This team needs a radical overhaul and I don’t get the sense that will happen from any of Lord's interviews unfortunately. It isn’t one or two players, it’s 3/4 at least. We got recruitment badly wrong in the summer with players who are having one season too many, one or two clearly not good enough and one who is struggling having retired previously. Having recruited so well in previous years, this off season looks to have been a disaster.

pjj365

We will not have settled lines as long as Lordo dips in and out as he thinks necessary excluding his role as effectively the spare import. When all are fit he is the COACH

Traditionally with our setup (coach and one assistant) the assistant looks after the D. with all due respect to Jamie he is first and foremost a forward and where do most people think we are lacking - D

Lordo's broader hockey experience will no doubt cover this "gap" but he does need to get out from the weeds of playing regularly. With Piggsy, maybe Mo and Jamie assisting (and yes I know there are no D there) that is some depth and could really push us forward

voth26

I don't like naming players and I'm happy to be flamed but for me the following need to be replaced, Paris big d man but not seen him throw any checks/hits least non physical player we have, even Reddick has had two fights!! Crowder to slow and lazy, Mo sorry but he's not a captain he needs to retire to the bench. There are 2/3 more who given past seasons I'm prepared to wait and see if they return to form but Lordo needs to put on his coaches hat now and make some tough decisions to better the team before those decisions are made for him!! Come on Devils you are better than you are showing/giving us the fans who come out every week. It's really simple if you cant or wont play with the following required pride, passion, grit, or determination to be a CARDIFF DEVIL then you need to be honest with yourselves and more importantly ANDREW LORD and hold your hand up and move on. Sorry its blunt but there you go, I'm guessing the majority of people on here myself included would have been asked to see their managers if we performed badly in our work with a simple message ship up or ship out!!

(as I've read here - I'd love to know how much time that poster has spent in the changing room, travelling with the team, sitting in team meetings, working on analysis and in team practice.
Probably as much time as any member of an HR dept, customer service dept, recipient of any goods from another business or an owner based the other side of the planet, has followed their employee due to ailing results before deciding to restructure, change, part company.
You don’t need to sit in the Oval Office, congress or sub committees of congress to realise Trump is a chump.

voth26

We will not have settled lines as long as Lordo dips in and out as he thinks necessary excluding his role as effectively the spare import. When all are fit he is the COACH

Traditionally with our setup (coach and one assistant) the assistant looks after the D. with all due respect to Jamie he is first and foremost a forward and where do most people think we are lacking - D

Lordo's broader hockey experience will no doubt cover this "gap" but he does need to get out from the weeds of playing regularly. With Piggsy, maybe Mo and Jamie assisting (and yes I know there are no D there) that is some depth and could really push us forward
If Lord doesn't play where does the passion and the leadership come from then, no-one else brings it and no disrespect Mo is not a captain, he may be vocal in the changing room? but I don't seem him shouting/encouraging or even bollocking the team on the bench he's to passive. Last year you could see/hear the players showing emotion and passion on the bench but unfortunately not this year!!.

kingmo19.1

Successful teams in this league have always shipped out below-par imports as soon as it's evident they are not up-to the job - Durham, Sheffield and Cardiff (in the old days under JL) to name a few.

I get the impression it's all a bit too cozy at Cardiff, a best mates-club, jobs for the boys and old team-mates. If your face fits, you're in!
Too many people obsessed with projecting an appearance of being 'a caring club', a 'club that treats players well' blah blah blah.

Now if the players in question are up-to the job and give 100% - I'm in total agreement, but when we are CARRYING multiple passengers, over the hill players, best mates and buddies from the past this approach doesn't work.

The Owners/Kelman/Lord need to change this mentality and take some action. Grow a few pairs and make the required changes.

I think it's pretty clear from the posts on this forum that change is needed now. And I agree with wannabe that it's not one or two players. I too do not like naming players who should be changed, but as a paying Devils fan I think that time has come to do so.

Paul Crowder certainly did raise eyebrows when unveiled as our final signing of the off season. Unfortunately he has done zero to warrant being accepted as a CARDIFF DEVIL. I have watched his shifts closely and he is consistently behind the play by 6 feet! It looks like he's active on the ice but it's all bluff. He has done nothing to alter a game while out there: Out now!

Bryce Reddick, just a player who is out of his depth really. not really his fault but he would be better off enjoying his hockey at a lover level. Should also never be exposed to have to drop the gloves with higher end fighters.

Jake Morrisette has proved himself as a true DEVIL but the league is now passing him by. It's quicker, bigger and less forgiving. I was surprised he wasn't moved to bench duties as a position this season as that is where I believe Jakes's future lies. He has been a great servant for the club but now is time to take a step back.

Layne Ulmer, quite simply start playing like we know you can or retire, we aint waiting!!!

Drew Paris is such a dissapointment. A big body but I don't think I have seen him have a full physical game. He needs to improve PDQ or the door for him also.

As I'm writing this I'm fed up. We should never be in this position after our success of last season. We have gone backwards as many posters have mentioned. We need to bring in a major player who will lead us on the ice, a top quality no nonsense physical forward of the Weller mold.

One last thing, players come and go to and from this great club of ours, some great, some not so, but what is a constant and will always remain are the fans!!!!!! And were not happy!

voth26

I think it's pretty clear from the posts on this forum that change is needed now. And I agree with wannabe that it's not one or two players. I too do not like naming players who should be changed, but as a paying Devils fan I think that time has come to do so.

Paul Crowder certainly did raise eyebrows when unveiled as our final signing of the off season. Unfortunately he has done zero to warrant being accepted as a CARDIFF DEVIL. I have watched his shifts closely and he is consistently behind the play by 6 feet! It looks like he's active on the ice but it's all bluff. He has done nothing to alter a game while out there: Out now!

Bryce Reddick, just a player who is out of his depth really. not really his fault but he would be better off enjoying his hockey at a lover level. Should also never be exposed to have to drop the gloves with higher end fighters.

Jake Morrisette has proved himself as a true DEVIL but the league is now passing him by. It's quicker, bigger and less forgiving. I was surprised he wasn't moved to bench duties as a position this season as that is where I believe Jakes's future lies. He has been a great servant for the club but now is time to take a step back.

Layne Ulmer, quite simply start playing like we know you can or retire, we aint waiting!!!

Drew Paris is such a dissapointment. A big body but I don't think I have seen him have a full physical game. He needs to improve PDQ or the door for him also.

As I'm writing this I'm fed up. We should never be in this position after our success of last season. We have gone backwards as many posters have mentioned. We need to bring in a major player who will lead us on the ice, a top quality no nonsense physical forward of the Weller mold.

One last thing, players come and go to and from this great club of ours, some great, some not so, but what is a constant and will always remain are the fans!!!!!! And were not happy!
Couldn't have said it better myself, really hope the management take note of how the fans feel now before people start voicing their displeasure with their feet and the team is playing to a half empty IAW??

ASHIPP

Painful as it is, sometimes tough decisions have to be made for the betterment of a business. Our Club may have started on a journey of adventure to see where it would take them but now the stakes are higher and the goal posts have moved. It's serious now - 3 titles to defend, and a huge potential loss of revenue if performances don't improve. The owners and Todd are very savvy successful business people - hopefully they can see what is required.

Sport is not unique. Underperformance needs attention and patience but surely there comes a time when tough decisions and a different approach need to be made for the betterment of the Club. This is what happens in the real world - and it is a real world situation where loss of revenue, disatified customers and failure to achieve declared targets are at stake.

It's not rocket science to see what is wrong. Putting it right might be difficult and complex and take time. Start with the leadership first - get someone on the ice who leads by example and drives the play, someone with a vested interest and experience in winning, who drives the play on his shifts, is vocal and sets an example every time.Stand up Matthew Myers or Joey Haddad. Our greatest ever captain, Ivan Matulik would be proud of their approach to every shift, every game.

If they are concerned about the sensitivity of taking the Captaincy off Morissette, give him an 'A' or better still,reunite him with Jamie on the bench (worked well last season) and reshuffle the lines to play Piggsie on a fantasic energy line with Batch and Moore who are really doing a fine job.

Ok, won't solve the other issues in the team performance, but it is an instant move that might just improve things while other stuff gets reviewed and dealt with.

Last edited:

matbur

Probably as much time as any member of an HR dept, customer service dept, recipient of any goods from another business or an owner based the other side of the planet, has followed their employee due to ailing results before deciding to restructure, change, part company.
You don’t need to sit in the Oval Office, congress or sub committees of congress to realise Trump is a chump.

That just doesn't make sense...

So, you feel the coaching staff might not be up to the job despite winning championships last season and despite the fact you have no idea or insight into what their strengths and qualities are in their role, on the basis of our performances across nine domestic games this season and the CHL (an intense, high end competition which the team had no experience competing in)???

Those aren't opinion, they're the facts so I just don't see your point sorry.

Matbur, I have no idea what team you have been watching, and why you seem so comfortable with everything. However you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how off beam it is.

august04

Pretty much sums it up in my opinion.