Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - Sat 14 Oct 2017 - C Cup - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

Unfortunately booked and paid for the webcast for tomorrow's game at Coventry, how silly was that. May just take a hit on that, and watch Stars v Steelers, at least I ain't emotionally involved, and won't be let down.

While I have supported the Devils for many years, even during the hard times I have always tried to be positive, win or lose. We have had many successes the last few years and like everyone I want that to continue, but do not expect that to be a right, but something earned. The team is tying, but sometimes you have to accept that you need to try something/someone different. I brought four friends to the last three home games promising them a night to remember, well as they said on leaving tonight, " when things pick up, let us know and we might come again. " Hopefully I will be able to tell them that it has, but I'm not overly confident if or when that will happen.

jenks33

I appreciate its difficult to go from a defensive game in the CHL to a bit more expected of us in the EIHL but we are so average. To be honest I’d give this lot another 4 or 5 games but I just hope Lordo isn’t too loyal/stubborn. There’s clearly 3 or 4 players that aren’t cutting it at the moment

Jonesy83

That was rubbish in all honesty, apart from the physicality at certain times, we looked second best everywhere else in that game.

As has been mentioned above the team has had long enough together now to see how everyone is performing and sadly a few aren't up to the task.

As much as I'd hate to see players dismissed from the squad, sometimes the hard decisions need to made and people need to be let go and replacements brought in.

Earnie

The fourth line is full of energy and can more than hold their own. Were they missing in the third period when we needed them or was it my error?

Morisette and Ulmer are completely anonymous right now... if this was the NHL (and I know it's not) they would both be getting moved down to the AHL!

I enjoyed that game of hockey, but at no point did I feel that we were going to win. It's becoming frustrating and painful to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

august04

Can't blame travelling on the Storm result, or the Giants result, unfortunately.
Spot on. The time for trotting out the same old excuses is over. Too many players are either not good enough or are in the comfort zone and are not being held accountable for their continued poor performances.

Being champions there’s even more expectation the season defending your status. But like in most sports when your defending champions you also upgrade and strengthen your team. Unfortunately In my view we haven’t .

kingmo19.1

The warning signs that things were not right. And players were not good enough have been there for ages. I'm afraid teams have overtaken us.

100% CORRECT.

Too many people on here obsessed/fixated with a dead-rubber win over Vaxjo when they really couldn't be arsed at all !

17/18 team isn't good enough. End of.

We'd not be in this position with last years team.

I'm not going to call out individuals, but I hope a few changes will be made.

terry hunt

The best team won tonight as did the Storm when they came down.
MK and Guildford both have very experienced British coaches who i suspect have been underestimated.
I doubt very much the ability or will is there to qualify for the Q/F of the cup.
This has a massive impact on the club's finances losing a home Q/F and S/F game.
If we fail to reach the final will the IAW sell out?

ASHIPP

Don't underestimate the CHL game and travelling as being a huge factor in tonight's disappointing performance.
Hhmm. Panthers travelled to Finland this week. Nice to see them bounce back with an important league performance.

Consistent below par performances are down to several things:

a) Fitness levels
b) Player skill/ execution of game plan
c) Team mindset
d) Wrong line chemistry - not getting best out of players
e) Below par coaching/ game plan/ change of game plan

Any combination or all of the above.

Will be interesting to see what happens after the weekend:

Either the Club perseveres with things as they are and targets are changed/ expectations are lowered

or some brave decisions/changes are made to try to keep Club aspirations on track. We have been told that retaining those three titles is the top priority.

Neither scenerio guarantees an improvement in consistency.

There are financial implications too.

Last edited:

Gospel

Another poor performance and result tonight when we really couldnt afford it. As has been said already some players just arent cutting the mustard and i dont think this team is or even has the potential to be as good as last years.

Have the recent results in the CHL given some players the belief that they are better than they are and thats why they try and over play things when back in EIHL?

Tonight i thought Paris & Ulmer were pretty poor. Reddick was anonymous after his wrestling match and the only players having an impact ended up getting less & less ice time.

matbur

I understand the concerns, I just think it's still early and the CHL, as great as it's been, has been a distraction and disruptive.

All the excuses have been removed now, the players have had time to start to settle on and off the ice, there's no rust now and the CHL is over with. In my opinion, we can only start properly judging the true worth off this team over the next month or so.

I understand the concerns, I just think it's still early and the CHL, as great as it's been, has been a distraction and disruptive.

All the excuses have been removed now, the players have had time to start to settle on and off the ice, there's no rust now and the CHL is over with. In my opinion, we can only start properly judging the true worth off this team over the next month or so.
You got to be kidding!!! Changes need to be made now!!

One month!! That's 4 weekends. Two games each week. 16 points at risk. That's the difference of winning and losing a title. Simple

ASHIPP

Three losses in 1 week ( in 3 different competitions). Could be 4 tomorrow if Blaze have a good game!

Anyone remember last season when Devils won all 3 games against the Giants in one week? ( 2 league/1 cup).......all 'must wins' to progress in competitions?

Sounds a bit fatalist but surely it's obvious that soon there will be a point of no return? Meaning, unless there is some improvement in performance, there is a risk of losing too much ground to defend the league title.
Almost at that stage now in CC - another title the Club was hoping to retain.

Last edited: