Devils vs Vaxjo Lakers - Tue 3 Oct 2017 - CHL - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

dave

SOG last night reads 46-21 :)

Yes But that of course does not give the whole picture.. ;-) Use both together shows what a great job the team did in protecting the quality shooting lanes..
The shot map also is very interesting..Showing reallt that again what a great job in protecting "the House" the team did.. We out shot them in that key scoring area..13-9

bb1

I don't buy into the 'they underestimated us'. Yes they probably did up until the first goal. Both Davos and Vaxjo played hard and looked like they gave 110% effort to try and get back into the game.

The brutal facts for them is that we were superb spoilers and completely played 2 perfect games.....we were too good for them on the nights....FACT.

We have led in 4/5 CHL games we have played after 1st period. Pretty special if you as me with teams like Davos who have a €20m budget.

I really love the simple, quick style we play against these teams. It's frustrating when we play teams in EIHL and start to over complicate things. Lordo has worked his magic yet again.

WELL DONE LADS!

solelace84

That was an interesting read... Provides quite an insight as to how European fans value (or DONT) the CHL :confused:
It astounds me that people in Europe still think the EIHL is worse than Polish/French leagues. Although, one Vaxjo fan recognises that the EIHL has had quite a few ex NHLers over the past few years, and says that it's probably better than the Allsvenskan league! I believe that the likes of the Devils and Panthers could compete with most teams in leagues such as the DEL, EBEL, Extraliga and Liiga. I believe that only the KHL/NLA/SHL are far far superior to the EIHL now in terms of on-ice-product... Maybe if the League could get its self together......

solelace84

How many fans don't rate the CHL after they lose a game compared to when the win a game though :) Its an easy dismissal when you lose
Hmm, maybe. I think that because domestic competitions/rivalries mean SO much in Hockey, teams are reluctant to risk injury etc. in other competitions. Maybe if the CHL was at the end of the European domestics, and not before/during it would be better!

Also, it's supposed to be the "best of the best", but without the KHL, is it really? How much credence does the CHL have if the best league in Europe isn't interested in competing? Without them, it probably feels a like a second-tier competition to some of the other top European teams out there.

Unlike football, it seems that a lot of hockey teams/fans don't really care about international competition. The NHL have perpetuated that mentality by banning players from representing their national teams in the Olympics. Sad state of affairs.

I don’t really care what fans opinions are of the CHL, no matter what country they live in. The CHL is important within hockey, there are more factors involved than just keeping fans happy or attendance levels. Simple fact is those players came to Cardiff yesterday with credentials far greater than the Devils squad, wanting to loose games is not what they do. Why do they not want to loose, it’s quite simple, pride & also individuals each has a monetary value. As a career your not guaranteed a job or how much your going to earn, it is all based on each players performance and potential. Being in a side that suffered its worst or one of its worst performances isn’t going to help your future career. So no they did not turn up last night with a who cares attitude. They may not have wanted to put 100% into it, it’s not a final after all, but that score line will certainly be unwelcome, I’m sure the coach was probably [emoji36].
Last night didn’t really surprise me, l stated prior to the game that when two sides of opposing styles converge it’s possible to win. Great effort and performance. If players performances continue on after last night it will cost Mr King more in wages, some players values certainly will increase entering negotiations next season. We may even see some Lakers players next year, although after last night, they can keep them [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, what a game.
The result would have been one thing, but to get it with the performance that we did, now that was something else.

If I had to describe the whole team as just one player, then that player would have been:
Hungry, focused, intelligent, ruthless and fit.

We made our blueline and the neutral zone our hunting ground, we then waited and when appropriate counterattacked forcing them to use all of their speed chasing backwards. We seemed happy to dump the puck or chip the puck into centre when under pressure (I know I was happy).

At times when we got position on them we did well to cycle in their zone but at certain points we were passing it round with such speed and accuracy that we looked the superior team.

Maybe they didn't travel well, they played braehead a few years back + didn't demolish them then. But to say they didn't care or weren't trying, I had a great view of their bench. They started slow but they just couldn't get to grips with our playstyle and we then showed them one of my favourite devils habits, quality of shots not quantity of shots. After Moores and Haddad's goals (the haddad one especially) you could just see the heads drop.

I think they will be a much sterner test in sweden, especially as they need to win to finish top of the group but what a night.

I am loathe to mention anyone (as it was such a team performance)
but:
Moore - You've been working real hard for us, I have been hoping you would get your 1st goal for us soon, but what a stage to do it on + what a beaut of goal it is

Mo - Has been very productive with assists so far this season + what a captains performance. Can he even get some forum love?

Atmosphere - we may not have had a full house but we didn't half make a racket

Realistically it's only one game, we are already out of the chl (congrats to nottingham btw) but psychologically this has to be great for our dressing room. I bet there were quite a few sore bodies with grins on their faces in there.

Slartibartfast

I just loved the new lines. The first and fourth particularly. Batch Crowder and Moore did not look like a fourth line. They were awesome. Joey Haddad deserves a place on the first line and complements Asselin and Joey Martin so well.
Lord now has to decide where to put Pope who for me has been our most consistent player. What a great problem to have.

SteveKing

I honestly believe that the Lakers came in with a very bad scouting report on Bownsy. They were throwing weak shots at him from long distance and bad angles and it seemed like that was their game plan. I think the actual scoring chances were much closer and likely in our favour compared to just the simple shots on goal.

I don't think they'll make that same mistake again next Wednesday. They now know he's a legitimate goaltender that could play in many different leagues. So excited to see the game in person!

solelace84

I honestly believe that the Lakers came in with a very bad scouting report on Bownsy. They were throwing weak shots at him from long distance and bad angles and it seemed like that was their game plan. I think the actual scoring chances were much closer and likely in our favour compared to just the simple shots on goal.

I don't think they'll make that same mistake again next Wednesday. They now know he's a legitimate goaltender that could play in many different leagues. So excited to see the game in person!
If that is the case, you would have expected them to change their game plan after the first period! It should have been a shutout for bownsy, aside from one weak PP goal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedd Wyn John

Just goes to show when everyone firing on all cylinders that the Devils are a force to be reckoned with, that said it's the consistency that seems to be a bit off at the moment.