Devils vs Vaxjo Lakers - Tue 3 Oct 2017 - CHL - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

Vaxjo may have been missing 3 of their key players tonight but they have such depth and experience throughout their roster, most outsiders would have expected them to beat a team seeded near the bottom of the competition.

They certainly were not trying deliberately to lose that game! They may have already qualified but they are one of the top teams in Europe. They are professionals and would still have been striving to top the group with as many wins as poss. Not to mention showcase their skills. Their coach would have expecteded a result, even if the Lakers were only playing on half steam.

Their coaching staff did not look very happy. Their team were trying various systems to score. Bownsey and excellent shutdown play just kept them out.

bb1

Vaxjo are an incredible team so don't take it in the wrong way but I can't see the scoreboard remaining in single figures.

NHL quality players top to bottom. Keep an eye on Elias Pettersson, drafted 5th Overall earlier this year by Vancouver, he's an exceptional prospect.

Hoping the best for you all but can't see much positive coming from it, same for us against Turku.
:eek:

Sorry I couldn't resist. Congrats to your Panthers team also. Incredible for UK ice hockey.

To be fair we had more chances so we could have got to double figures like you suggested ;)

pjj365

Enjoyed the game tonight, took a while to get going and the atmosphere to build but an entertaining game all the same.

I know we won and it goes down in history etc as a 5-1 win, but I was disappointed with Vaxjo. I guess from their perspective they have already qualified so it's a dead-rubber, a nothing game. We're they giving it everything they had? I'm pretty sure they weren't. Had this been the 1st or 2nd CHL game in the group I think it would have been a lot different. I rate the win over Davos higher than this one. I think the return game in their barn will be more interesting as they'll be looking for a win infront of their own fans.

On paper, a great result for our club and raises both it's profile and that of the league (Congrats to Panthers by the way).
Anyone know SoG
Our guys worked their socks off all round but it might be worth asking Ben if he felt they were coasting
Lakers may have underestimated us but I don't believe a team with their level of success ever take a night off

d20

An outstanding win against a top,top team who also iced 2 youngsters who have just come back from NHL camps after being drafted by Las Vegas and Vancouver #17 #40...to beat Davos and Vaxjo has been unreal to watch and 2 more great nights in the clubs history and we've had some great ones ,I have loved the CHL and even the friendly against Krefeld ,keep these games coming ....no pressure lordo but same again next year !!

terry hunt

Vaxjo are an incredible team so don't take it in the wrong way but I can't see the scoreboard remaining in single figures.

NHL quality players top to bottom. Keep an eye on Elias Pettersson, drafted 5th Overall earlier this year by Vancouver, he's an exceptional prospect.

Hoping the best for you all but can't see much positive coming from it, same for us against Turku.
I doubt that many expected those results last night.I wonder what the bookies were quoting for a double. Any one who made a bet on it will be smiling today

solelace84

I have to agree that Reddick has proven me and everyone else wrong. He's played extremely well in the last 3 games that they've played. I'm really pleased about that!

Also, was anyone else disappointed with how Vaxjo played last night? Not to take anything away from the Devils at all, because even a weakened SHL team should have obliterated an EIHL side, but they were dead on their feet a lot of the night. They werent trying for the first two periods; at least, that's how it appeared.

Either way, this CHL experience will undoubtedly be an extra incentive for the guys to win the league again this season and get another shot at making it out of the group stages next year!

AND Craig Moore, what a prospect! Lordo obviously trusts him enough to give him decent ice time, and boy, doesn't he deserve it. Craig-Sniper-Moore!

ASHIPP

Craig is proving he will be a top British prospect. He had plenty of ice time at Dundee and more of it will only allow further situations to experience. Building up a good wing partnership with Batchy (lovely assist last night on that goal) who finally looks comfortable and effective performing the big forward role.

May be a lack of motivation having already qualified but I doubt very much a professional sports team would be consciously not trying. If these guys had that attitude they wouldn't be playing in the SHL, an amateur sportsman would not go out not caring about the result yet alone a professional sportsman. Your also leaving yourself more prone to injuries if you go in half assed against a commited side, which would be counter productive to their hopes in the CHL and their domestic league. I suspect they took us for granted however and struggled to breakdown a smart defensive set up...I guess we may have been guilty of this against Guildford!

Anyway a lot of credit must go to Andrew Lord, having shipped 23 goals in the first 3 matches he has sharpened up our approach to these games resulting in us getting two historic victories against top notch opposition and conceding only 4 goals in the process. After a bad weekend only recently it seems we have been given the rocket we needed with the last 3 results being very impressive. Big props to Reddick who i previously doubted he seems to be settling into the systems nicely now and turning in some good performances. Also great to see some Brits on the scoresheet, that finish by Moore was top top quality!

RedDevil17

I think it's also only fair to mention Reddick. He's been given a lot of flack on here and social media over last few weeks, but he was superb last night. So was all of the d-men, only conceding 1 goal in last 180 mins.
I personally think Reddick would do good in a more fast paced league with less physicality. Our league has a lot of big guys in it so I get why he struggles considering he’s only 5’10/5’11. Played awesome last night along with everyone else. Phenomenal! Never ever thought we would beat the Swedish champions!!

Earnie

What a wonderful night of hockey for the Devils.
I am not going to single out anyone for that was a team performance, a class team performance. Like Steve King mentioned it was disappointing that the arena was not full to experience watching a world class team coming to town - and get well beaten by the Devils. So many ST holders (and others) are reluctant to pay extra for these games and some Challenge Cup games.
Nottingham fans show us the way in that area!