Devils Vs Manchester Storm - Sun 24 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

Foxy said, "Brine, Scott Hotham and Culligan were always going to be big boots to fill and i dont think we've matched their calibre not even close".

I think all three were solid reliable two way "professional" players that showed up to play every night. Brine and Culli's contributions couldn't be measured in points because they hardly ever got power opportunities but they took great pride in their defensive play and penalty killing which was a huge part of the Devil's success last season.

Slartibartfast

Looking at the Manchester game I didnt see that toughness had anything to do with it. Manchester did not play physical (and neither did we). The problem stemmed from the lines not clicking and a seemingly lack of desire from some players. We could not string two passes together. Pucks passed behind players or too far in front. Inability to break out. Sloppy mistakes on D. Not being first to the puck etc

I agree that we missed Pope who has really impressed me. In terms of the new players we know what Faryna can do but we dont seem to be getting the best out of him. Im still not sure about Crowder. Sometimes he impresses me other times not. But my main concern is Reddick. He is a good skater but does get out of position a lot as others have noted. I don't think we need to gas anyone yet because on other days this team has played some great hockey.

Its often like this before Christmas. The team that has all their lines clicking the earliest generally wins the league. Lord is chopping and changing a lot at the moment. Lots hope he gets the combination right soon.

DevilDom

Peacock of the Clan did something similar last October and was given 5+ game on the night which was reviewed by DOPS and not upgraded! On this basis anything more than 1-2 games for Crowder would show a huge level of inconsistency. However, IMO 3-5 is more justified and its DOPS, so who knows? Time to spin the random ban wheel!

Kal

Peacock of the Clan did something similar last October and was given 5+ game on the night which was reviewed by DOPS and not upgraded! On this basis anything more than 1-2 games for Crowder would show a huge level of inconsistency. However, IMO 3-5 is more justified and its DOPS, so who knows? Time to spin the random ban wheel!
i pointed out this exact case when someone showed me the Crowder video. Unfortunately its DOPS tho and the the only thing they're consistent about is being inconsistent so anything from 0-10 games wouldn't be surprising.

SteveKing

Well after that weekend I told myself that I wouldn't come on to the Inferno for a while because that performance was just too painful and I didn't want to be reminded of it. A few days later, I felt the need to see how everybody was doing. After a stellar weekend the previous week where all of us felt that we had finally come together as a top team, the boys came out and stunk the joint out. Plain and simple. There were a series of unfortunate events behind the scenes during the week that definitely contributed to the performance but excuses are for losers and in no way explains the terrible performance in back to back games.

Clearly this team has not come together the way it was envisioned. Is it possible that it does come together over the next few weeks and we drive on to repeat as champions? Yes it is possible. We still have the core of a champion and led by the best coach in our league. Is there room for improvement in the roster that could lead to change? Absolutely. We have worked very hard to create a winning culture within the Devils organisation. Everyone that comes here knows that winning the league title is not just hoped for but expected now. If we feel that this group is not capable of doing that, we are not opposed to making changes. With that being said, that would be a very well thought out decision and would not be taken lightly. These are real people with real lives and families that we're dealing with and the other thing we've come to be known for around the hockey world is not just winning, it's dealing with everybody with class and respect. So no moves for the sake of moves but if there is a very clear upgrade out there and the circumstances are perfect, we can and will act.

Keep on believing in this team. Struggles and disappointments are what make the successes that much sweeter. We've gone through tough times every year including last year and the character of this group has shone through more often than not. The one thing that we can't do without is the power of the Red Army.

Gough60

Well after that weekend I told myself that I wouldn't come on to the Inferno for a while because that performance was just too painful and I didn't want to be reminded of it. A few days later, I felt the need to see how everybody was doing. After a stellar weekend the previous week where all of us felt that we had finally come together as a top team, the boys came out and stunk the joint out. Plain and simple. There were a series of unfortunate events behind the scenes during the week that definitely contributed to the performance but excuses are for losers and in no way explains the terrible performance in back to back games.

Clearly this team has not come together the way it was envisioned. Is it possible that it does come together over the next few weeks and we drive on to repeat as champions? Yes it is possible. We still have the core of a champion and led by the best coach in our league. Is there room for improvement in the roster that could lead to change? Absolutely. We have worked very hard to create a winning culture within the Devils organisation. Everyone that comes here knows that winning the league title is not just hoped for but expected now. If we feel that this group is not capable of doing that, we are not opposed to making changes. With that being said, that would be a very well thought out decision and would not be taken lightly. These are real people with real lives and families that we're dealing with and the other thing we've come to be known for around the hockey world is not just winning, it's dealing with everybody with class and respect. So no moves for the sake of moves but if there is a very clear upgrade out there and the circumstances are perfect, we can and will act.

Keep on believing in this team. Struggles and disappointments are what make the successes that much sweeter. We've gone through tough times every year including last year and the character of this group has shone through more often than not. The one thing that we can't do without is the power of the Red Army.
What a class response from our owners.
Well said Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxy

Ok whats happened during the week that caused that disaster. They're supposed to be professionals they should act like it.
Lord is normally meticuolous in ensuring a good dressing room ethic. If someone is upsetting that then they have to be dealt with now not later.

Unfortunately ice hockey fans can be pretty fickle and Cardiff fans will not turn up if they are not being entertained.

pjj365

Ok whats happened during the week that caused that disaster. They're supposed to be professionals they should act like it.
Lord is normally meticuolous in ensuring a good dressing room ethic. If someone is upsetting that then they have to be dealt with now not later.

Unfortunately ice hockey fans can be pretty fickle and Cardiff fans will not turn up if they are not being entertained.
Who says it's people - "events" covers a multitude of issues

As ever good and honest post by Steve - passions need to cool and trust in the organisation come to the fore.

Nevertheless it's a "watch this space"

Typically classy forthright demonstration of ownership and leadership. Thank you Steve and well said.

Russky

This a quality response from a classy and knowledeable organisation that marks itself far and above previous ownerships. which would have probably engaged in a 'knee-jerk' reaction and a short term fix. Not the Devil's present owners!!!! They should be applauded for their approach to the current situation with the Devils.

Milky

Errrrr, that's why it's called 'behind the scenes' :rolleyes:

Maybe if you ask nicely Lordo and Todd will put you on speed dial and keep you up to date on all the goings on in the club........