Devils Vs Manchester Storm - Sun 24 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

Painful to read the MNL feed....God knows how uncomfortable that was to watch at the IAW.

Can't comment on tonight's performance because I didn't see the game. But the statistics don't lie. The inability of skilled, experience forwards to score goals and the virtually static powerplay surely are major causes of concern?

This weekend has certainly demonstrated the speed and organisation of other teams...and it seems, exposed the fact that so much more than that is required to get a good result - confidence, chemistry, hardwork, ability to adapt.

The team and the coaches will surely know what is wrong by now. It's in their hands to put it right

osh

First of all, congrats to Storm on their well deserved win ! They worked hard all over the ice, took their chances and made us look pedestrian at times.
As to the way we played ? Shambolic, without passion, clueless and embarrassing ( some of the words used by different fans sitting around me tonight but very accurate all the same ) We played as if it was a first pre season game and not one where we have now been together for many weeks and supposed to be gelling as a unit. Lord has to make changes in my opinion, 4 of our current squad are just not performing. It's worth noting that tonight the only passion and work rate shown by any player came from a Brit in the shape of Moore. I pay to watch entertaining hockey and I am being short changed this sort of garbage.
Wake up and smell the coffee Andrew, this hockey is not acceptable and it's time you and Todd did something about it.

kettdevil1

Well at least we are not overreacting here ......

Not the greatest weekend but this feels like deja vu to last year and that didn't turn out too badly if memory serves. I remember Bordy getting a massive amount of abuse on here last year and all of a sudden he is being hailed as the new messiah and frankly if we are hailing Scott Hoth as the answer then I am a little concerned about the direction we are going.

At the moment we are struggling with teams that are keeping it simple and playing 'crash, bang' hockey, both MK and Manchester did this and we were outmuscled in too many battles. This looks to be down to the line combinations not being right and also the defence being slow on the turn. Both very fixable problems. We also lack confidence with too many players trying to do too much as is so often the case when confidence is lacking.

With very few exceptions, the team is a fair way from top form but naming individual players isn't the greatest way forward.

When I pay £18 to watch the sport I will say what I want. And 15 years of knowledge on my side I'm very rarely wrong.
I called changes a while back and I'm sure they will come.
We are not a fast physical team so I don't understand why Lord etc says we are.
Intact we are far from that.

We have gone backwards not forwards

Wannabe2

Looking forward to this game, could be a belter. Manchester have a mixture of toughness and skill, hopefully they will bring the best out of us.
Well what a load of garbage was that, for the first time in 30 yrs I left the game with 7 mins on the clock, as I couldn't be arsed with watching that drivel anymore, that was like having teeth extracted. I watched my team play at MK last night, and they were truly aweful, so tonight I was expecting a backlash, what I didn't expect was that the backlash was going to be against us. Like many others I love this club, but sorry guys you just don't cut it, you just don't cut it, that cuts me to the quick and truly sucks, but so do we at the moment. UNHAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

kettdevil1

Just left the game with ten minutes left as it was *edit* embarrassing.

Once again crowder done *edit* all along with a few others I have mentioned before.

Batch can do one along with Reddick Morissette is passed it too.

We have gone backwards nor forwards.

And who ever tells me otherwise knows nothing about hockey.

God we miss bordelaue presence and Scott hotham in defence :(
If I could decipher your post, I would answer it but I am struggling
When I pay £18 to watch the sport I will say what I want. And 15 years of knowledge on my side I'm very rarely wrong.
I called changes a while back and I'm sure they will come.
We are not a fast physical team so I don't understand why Lord etc says we are.
Intact we are far from that.

We have gone backwards not forwards
You also said that last year's team was rubbish after a defeat in September I remember .....

Of course you can say what you want, but I disagree with your assessment that having Bordy and Scott back would change things

Well. I'll try and keep this as concise as possible.
Firstly, hats off to Manxhester, out played us, out muscled us. Deserved the win.
What's going on with this team?!?
I've not been that impressed with the team from the word go.
Faryna was blught in an an 'impact player '. So far he's been anonymous.
Mo is past it, and will never get back to the level he once was.
Drew Paris, is one of the most non-physical big d men that I have ever seen. He gets out muscled and beaten way too many times.
Batchy just does not look comfortable on offence. As much as I want him as an impact forward.
Reddick and Crowder - don't get me started.
There were opportunities this eve to spice the game up, but it didn't happen.
Craig Moore - good game, and is showing promise with his skating, puck handling and hitting.
This 'team toughness' is bulls**t. We're getting out muscled, and we just don't step up.
I don't like speaking so negatively about a team that I love so much. But this is just not acceptable.
We need the courage to get rid of some players and improve our squad.
I really hope we can turn this around, but every game counts.
Come on Devils!!!!

RedDevil17

If I could decipher your post, I would answer it but I am struggling

You also said that last year's team was rubbish after a defeat in September I remember .....

Of course you can say what you want, but I disagree with your assessment that having Bordy and Scott back would change things
I agree with his assessment. Are you really being serious saying that we're better off without Scott hotham?? Has our defence been upgraded upon this year? In my opinion it's a big no. We're missing hotham he was one of our best D men last year IMO and Bryce Reddick isn't a very good replacement because he's done very little to convince me so far. Bordy used to frighten the opposition players but the only problem was that he didn't fight but now we haven't seen much space given without bordy. He created space for our guys and landed massively big hits. As for the performance, totally unacceptable and it's the worst performance from the Devils I've seen so far. Not really convinced by this team so far and I think changes do need to be made but we'll see what happens...

kingmo19.1

Well what a load of garbage was that, for the first time in 30 yrs I left the game with 7 mins on the clock, as I couldn't be arsed with watching that drivel anymore, that was like having teeth extracted. I watched my team play at MK last night, and they were truly aweful, so tonight I was expecting a backlash, what I didn't expect was that the backlash was going to be against us. Like many others I love this club, but sorry guys you just don't cut it, you just don't cut it, that cuts me to the quick and truly sucks, but so do we at the moment. UNHAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
I wasn't at the game tonight, but was keeping tabs on the score. One thing for sure, if Wannab2 (the true optimist) says it was bad then that team needs some immediate attention!

kettdevil1

What's your views kettledevil1
I have outlined most of my thoughts a few posts ago but in short:
- defensively we have lost our discipline with too many players focused on the other end of the ice. Bar Louis our other D Men are not doing the dirty work in front of the crease, opposition players are allowed to loiter for far too long.
- we are being turned on D too many times and (as happened at the start of last season) the forwards are not overnight when this happens. Too many players ...and not just the ones named..... are not doing their defensive detail.
- the lines are not clicking yet, Faryna - Lord - Myers is a great line but it means that the others tend to have too many similar players on them and the switching means it is difficult to get that chemistry.
- it looks like a couple of players are carrying injuries
- out of the newcomers, a number have not quite gelled yet.... they are of bad players but they haven't found their niche yet.... remember Ulmer and Benti in the first few months when they arrived....
- I also think that we are still in the league winners hangover and are finding easier to get ourselves up for the Sheff/Nott games.....

We were poor tonight but that does not make us a poor team.

Kal

I enjoyed the first period. Felt that Darnell gifted storm their lead and we played well. Glad to see Louis step up to hold storm accountable for that hit on Richie, shame we couldn't play like that for the other 2 periods at least it would have been entertaining.

kettdevil1

I agree with his assessment. Are you really being serious saying that we're better off without Scott hotham?? Has our defence been upgraded upon this year? In my opinion it's a big no. We're missing hotham he was one of our best D men last year IMO and Bryce Reddick isn't a very good replacement because he's done very little to convince me so far. Bordy used to frighten the opposition players but the only problem was that he didn't fight but now we haven't seen much space given without bordy. He created space for our guys and landed massively big hits. As for the performance, totally unacceptable and it's the worst performance from the Devils I've seen so far. Not really convinced by this team so far and I think changes do need to be made but we'll see what happens...
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Scott Hoth, I wouldn't argue that he was a decent D Man but given he was injured a fair bit last season, was often left out of the rotation and he had an annoying habit of taking penalties in the last few minutes, I am not convinced he would be an upgrade.

I would agree that we need to make space, Joey M is suffering from this at the moment which is why I think we need to have a think about his line

august04

I don’t think fans are overreacting. That was an inept, clueless and gutless display from the Devils against a Storm team that are no great shakes, last night wasn’t much better either. Forget being a faster team this year, that’s just not evident at all. Forget team toughness, we don’t have that, despite some claiming that in abundance. More worryingly, there is no spirit in this team which pains me, and one or two players need to be shipped out immediately and several more need to have a long, hard look at themselves because the fans are being shortchanged and taken for fools here. The first time I saw Reddick play, it was clear to me that he was not up to the standard of playing for a title challenging team in this league. I have seen nothing since then to make me change my mind. He should not be in this league, never mind playing for the Devils. Defensively appalling, constantly out of position, brushed off by opponents far too easily, weak in the corners, poor distribution etc etc. Lord said his signing might surprise a few people. Well, it’s no surprise and not funny anymore frankly. I’m actually starting to feel sorry for the guy because he is so far out of his depth, it’s untrue. He needs to go immediately. So many others had poor weekends. Paris isn’t living up to the hype, Crowder isn’t doing it for me, Morrissette looks like it’s one season too many sadly, Ulmer slow starting again (don’t worry though, we just have to wait until after Christmas for him to start playing). Even Faryna, who I used to love watching play for Dundee, looks a shadow of his former self. What’s going on?

Last edited:

matbur

Poor night, Fournier and Moore only players who put in a acceptable shift.

Power play and PK an issue right now. We have conceded four PP goals in two nights and our own PP is ineffective at present.

No need for overreaction, I know that's an immense challenge for some on here, players still settling and dressing room still settling (as are all teams). There are things that need fixing and changing but that'll work itself out. Lord will address what needs to be addressed.

It's one thing winning championships, remaining as a champion is even harder.

kettdevil1

I don’t think fans are overreacting. That was an inept, clueless and gutless display from the Devils against a Storm team that are no great shakes either, last night wasn’t much better either. Forget being a faster team this year, that’s just not evident at all. Forget team toughness, we don’t have that, despite some claiming that in abundance. More worryingly, there is no spirit in this team which and one or two players need to shipped out immediately and several more need to have a long, hard look at themselves because the fans are being shortchanged and taken for fools here. The first time I saw Reddick play, it was clear to me that he was not up to the standard of playing for a title challenging team in this league. I have seen nothing since then to make me change my mind. He should not be in this league, never mind playing for the Devils. Defensively appalling, constantly out of position, brushed off by opponents far too easily, weak in the corners, poor distribution etc etc. Lord said his signing might surprise a few people. Well, it’s no surprise and not funny anymore frankly. I’m actually starting to feel sorry for the guy because he is so far out of his depth, it’s untrue. He needs to go immediately. So many others had poor weekends. Paris isn’t living up to the hype, Crowder isn’t doing it for me, Morrissette looks like it’s one season too many sadly, Ulmer slow starting again (don’t worry though, we just have to wait until after Christmas for him to start playing). Even Faryna, who I used to love watching play for Dundee, looks a shadow of his former self. What’s going on?
Without wanting to be too smart arsey about this (I am genuinely interested in the answer...).... how do you explain beating Nottingham, Sheffield and Davos? surely we can't be that bad?

Wannabe2

Well. I'll try and keep this as concise as possible.
Firstly, hats off to Manxhester, out played us, out muscled us. Deserved the win.
What's going on with this team?!?
I've not been that impressed with the team from the word go.
Faryna was blught in an an 'impact player '. So far he's been anonymous.
Mo is past it, and will never get back to the level he once was.
Drew Paris, is one of the most non-physical big d men that I have ever seen. He gets out muscled and beaten way too many times.
Batchy just does not look comfortable on offence. As much as I want him as an impact forward.
Reddick and Crowder - don't get me started.
There were opportunities this eve to spice the game up, but it didn't happen.
Craig Moore - good game, and is showing promise with his skating, puck handling and hitting.
This 'team toughness' is bulls**t. We're getting out muscled, and we just don't step up.
I don't like speaking so negatively about a team that I love so much. But this is just not acceptable.
We need the courage to get rid of some players and improve our squad.
I really hope we can turn this around, but every game counts.
Come on Devils!!!!
Unfortunately spot on.

I don’t get why people are comparing last yrs achievements, as if those insure some indemnity against losses this year. It took so long to achieve, it does not guarantee future success, in fact in many sports, players and teams peak and slump almost immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F

FxckSeanPhillips

Unfortunately spot on.
If you ask me Crowder is a waste of time. Doesn’t look interested in puck battles or playing in general, Paris looks out of position more than anything, yeah he got an OT goal in CHL but that’s all he’s been good for in a devils jersey. Team looked shambolic at periods tonight. No physicality at all. Agree with the comment of Moore and Fournier looked like the only two who wanted to be there. FSP.