MK Lightning Vs Devils - Sat 23 Sep 2017 - CC - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

MKL will definitely fancy their chances at home, especially with very loud home support.
Lightening have already won a couple of games and will be feeling confident.

Hope our Guys are prepared for MKL's speed and systems. Must keep winning to stay on track to qualify in the CC - especially after losing away to the Flames. No doubt Peter Russell will have observed and learnt a lot from that opening game against the Devils a few weeks ago.
What I said. Lose one more CC group game and we are in the danger zone for qualifiication. If teams are tied on points/wins, the criterion becomes the number of goals scored. Yes...good luck with that.

All credit to MKL including some successful pp opportunities. Did we have any?

Feel sorry for the travelling Red Army - another disappointing performance. Early days yet but a big part of last year's success was because of the Devils' outstanding road record.

august04

No fluke, they could have won the first game at IAW in all honesty. The fact that it’s a CC game is too easy an excuse for a loss. I’m assuming Lord was injured too (perhaps from that early check against the Panthers?), otherwise why wouldn’t he play tonight? If he's fit and he’s staying on the bench, sign another spare now - someone with a bit more work ethic, heart, grit and skill than several have shown at times this season. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
I can't really comment as I didn't see the game. Don't mind losing if we play well. But compare our player budget to the likes of newcomers in the league. It won't be long until the powers will be demanding answers to poor results.

bb1

Is amazing how we can play the way we did against Davos and then produce this!

After a packed pre season there are zero excuses. Bowns was by far best on ice. Not sure what's wrong with Lord but if he isn't going to play then he should have found a hard hitting, intense replacement for himself that could compliment Faryna and Myers. Faryna can't do it by himself game in game out otherwise he will burn out!

Still too many who are not pulling their fingers out and like I've said before we have NO gamechanger. All the negative crap about Bordy not fighting etc.....he had that ability to change a game with huge hits and created masses of space for other guys. We don't have that anymore! Tonight we needed someone to do that but we seriously don't have anyone that can create such a dent which is worrying.

Good points bb1.
As much as we have some boys who are feisty. We don't have that game changer, and Lord sitting out is ludicrous.
We need a 'go to' guy, and for some players to really step up.
Just not good enough, given the calibre and hype of the players.

ASHIPP

Lordo galvanises the team when he is playing. Can only presume he must be resting an injury and therefore didn't ice tonight. No coincidence the best team performances are when he plays.

Comments/ observations about the apparent dip in leadership in his absence. He has a captain and alternates who should be driving the play and ensuring team focus on the gameplan.

On the subject of inconsistency, would also mention that the pp has been misfiring in several games now. IIRC a similar situation at the beginning of last season.

As someone posted earlier, it's baffling how the team can put in strong performances in some games...and be steamrollered in others.

Wannabe2

Firstly just maybe Lordo is injured, as is Pope apparently, we were poor tonight, but so were Panthers who got beat at home in the league, Steelers also lost in the league, so it's not all bad. Lightning will surprise quite a few teams this season, their work ethic seemed pretty neat, if we are to have a blip then let's have it now. Let's put it right tomorrow guys.

august04

Firstly just maybe Lordo is injured, as is Pope apparently, we were poor tonight, but so were Panthers who got beat at home in the league, Steelers also lost in the league, so it's not all bad. Lightning will surprise quite a few teams this season, their work ethic seemed pretty neat, if we are to have a blip then let's have it now. Let's put it right tomorrow guys.
Panthers and Steelers losing doesn’t make our loss any more acceptable, for me anyway.

To many excuses when we lose imo.
You can see we ain't got the same mentality and presence as last year and that's why I think we will struggle. One more cc cup loss and we are not far from out already.

Lord takes to long to know where his players fit in what lines and that might cost us the league this year ff he don't hurry up.

There's a few players I would get rid of now tbh but hey people will laugh at me and critise me because of my opinion.

BostonBart22

To me it seems we can just turn up thinking we got the game in the bag, if it wasnt for bowns it couldve been 8..1 end of 2nd, mk players were playing for their badge all night, some of ours are living in a comfort zone right now and it seems they are only going to perfom in front of the home fans, its like football some teams not intrested in certain cup comps and last night it seems devils are not bothered about the challenge cup, with the announcement that the final is in cardiff again i thought it may have given the devils a boost to get to the final, WELL DONE TO MK out fought us in all areas of the game.

DevilDom

Would be surprised if the Crowder slashing instance doesn't get looked at by DOPS. Said at the time it looked bad but seen the replay and it looks even worse! Could be a couple of games minimum.

ASHIPP

The split of teams into 3 CC groups this season actually means that there are less games played at this group stage to qualify for the next round (2 x 3 games against each group team instead of 2 x 4 games last year). Top 2 in each group go through plus best 2 of the rest. After points and wins, goals become the next criterion for qualification.

Very small window to put things right in this particular competition. Simply can't 'bank' on any remaining games. Guildford and Coventry have also won in the group.

It would be a disappointing start to a title defence to be facing not qualifying. This is the Club's top priority. The prospect of lost game revenue from progression to the next round and beyond will be a sobering thought.

Last edited: