Sheffield Steelers Vs Devils - Sat 16 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

KaneDevils

I'm not an expert on the rules of the game, far from it, but am I right in saying the call for the penalty shot was incorrect?
My understanding is a penalty shot is called when the attacking player is impeded resulting in not being able to get the shot away.
Phillips(?) quite clearly gets the shot away.

dave

I'm not an expert on the rules of the game, far from it, but am I right in saying the call for the penalty shot was incorrect?
My understanding is a penalty shot is called when the attacking player is impeded resulting in not being able to get the shot away.
Phillips(?) quite clearly gets the shot away.
RULE 171 – AWARDING A PENALTY SHOT/BREAKAWAY

1. If an attacking skater is on a breakaway and is fouled by an opponent from behind, or by the opposing goaltender, the skater will be awarded a penalty shot.

2. If the skater loses control or possession of the puck after being fouled, the referee will stop game action and award a penalty shot.

Last night will come under

3. If the skater is fouled but still manages to maintain possession of the puck, the referee will delay the penalty call and allow the skater to complete his action.

4. If the fouled skater manages to score, the penalty shot will be cancelled. If the penalty being assessed was a minor penalty, it will also be cancelled by the goal, but if the penalty being assessed was a misconduct, major and automatic game misconduct, or match penalty, these will still be assessed.

5. If the referee signals a penalty shot, and before the play is whistled because of a goal or to call the penalty shot another foul is assessed to the same team, the additional penalty will be assessed regardless if the skater scores on either the play or the subsequent penalty shot.

6. If a foul occurs near the end of any period (regulation or overtime) and time expires on the scoreclock before the referee can award the penalty shot, the shot will still be taken.

There is nothing in the rule 92014-18) that says no PS if a shot is taken...A few rule books back in the case book it did say if you took a clean shot after the foul then just a penalty would be called but the new overview is:

OVERVIEW – In situations where a member of the defending team uses illegal means to deny an opponent a reasonable scoring chance, with the goaltender on the ice, the referee has the option to award the opponent a penalty shot. In situations where a member of the defending team uses illegal means to deny an opponent a reasonable scoring chance, with the goaltender off the ice, the referee has the option to award the opponent a goal.

Russky

So why would you want A Hotham, the league top defencman the last 3 years and league MVP to fight Armstrong if he crashes the net ? Do you think losing Hotham for 5 minutes is an even trade with Armstrong ? I don't think you want him fighting much with the potential of breaking a hand when maybe Louis, Batch or Faryna would be a better choice
As it happened it was a bit of a moot point as Fitzgerald didnt play last night and Sheffield didnt crash the net and Bownsy as we expected.

KaneDevils

Thanks Dave, but my head is hurting!
I could of sworn watching nhl, they've mentioned that the PS isn't awarded if the attacker manages to carry on and get a shot away.

Obviously I'm wrong! :(

dave

Thanks Dave, but my head is hurting!
I could of sworn watching nhl, they've mentioned that the PS isn't awarded if the attacker manages to carry on and get a shot away.

Obviously I'm wrong! :(
Nope NHL rule book is different and use s"clear scoring opportunity taken away" so if they get a good shot then they do not award a ps.. A poor shot then yes.

Slartibartfast

Devils dominated the first, Steelers dominated the third. We sometimes get over excited when we see the great new signings but what we often miss is that most of the other teams have upgraded also. Guildford beat us and took a point from the Panthers. Who would have expected that. One things for sure, its going to be a tough but exciting season.

Nope NHL rule book is different and use s"clear scoring opportunity taken away" so if they get a good shot then they do not award a ps.. A poor shot then yes.
To be fair, even when the player gets a good chance, they more often than not award the PS anyway. Basically, if you are on a breakaway, don't convert but are still fouled, then theres a very good chance you are getting the PS.

KaneDevils

To be fair, even when the player gets a good chance, they more often than not award the PS anyway. Basically, if you are on a breakaway, don't convert but are still fouled, then theres a very good chance you are getting the PS.
See, from what I've seen of the NHL, which includes nothing for the past few seasons I might add, they seem to not give more often than they do!?

PS; thanks for the info Dave. :)

See, from what I've seen of the NHL, which includes nothing for the past few seasons I might add, they seem to not give more often than they do!?

PS; thanks for the info Dave. :)
It's very much the opposite now. I've probably seen somewhere in the region of 200+ games in the last 3 years. Granted they have all been the Flyers, but they most definitely look to give the PS above a PP. Scoring in the league has been down for the last 5-6 years now. They are trying little things to bring it back up.