Devils Vs Nottingham Panthers - Sun 17 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

august04

The problem is that we're not used to being second best really in the physical stakes (not just fighting). We've always been one of the toughest teams. I'm pretty certain that in Voth's day (or Ware, MacWilliam, McIntyre etc), that Bussieres would have had to answer for that beating down of Reddick by being no choiced later in the game. Yes Reddick may have wanted to go (Faryna too) but for a big guy to hand down a beating like that to one of our smallest guys on home ice, without having to answer for it, well I don't like that. At the end of the day we got the 2 points, which is all that matters really, but I don't like seeing opponents hand down beatings and take liberties with our players. On a different topic, well pleased to Louis and Fournier reunited on D, even if forced upon Lord by the injury to Paris. I hope he keeps that pairing together and they can build on their success of last year.

Ocko

Although it seemed like a beat down, to the player himself actually getting it, it isn't always as bad as it seems. He wasn't cut up and was smiling going off. Plus he was willing.

Sometimes things seem worse to fans than they actually are to the players. I bet Reddick got a few pats on the back and had a laugh about it at the end of the period. No harm done, no point taking a penalty over it.

bb1

We played average imo like Saturday but came away with a great result. Grinded well enough for the win.

I have to say I really haven't rated Crowder but this weekend I'm happy to say he's proved me and a lot of others wrong. He came into his own tonight and really deserved MOM.

Great to see Reddick taking no crap and standing up for himself. Faryna has been very quiet the last 3/4 games physically but really did well against abig tough cookie in Gagnon. Most of his punches/forearms were blocked by Faryna and Justin caught him with a beauty. Gagnon then decided to go for takedown and when you look at replay took Faryna down by pulling his hair! Poor show.

I have to say apart from a big hit by Pope there wasn't much physicality from us tonight. Regardless of what ppl thought of Bordy he really did police games and no body stepped out of line. I wonder whether Gagnon would have done what he did if we still had a guy like Bordy!?!?

Plus I have to say I really am missing the anticipation of some of the huge hits Bordy dished out. We really haven't got that anymore but hopefully when Batch goes back to forward he can have a go and fulfill that role. Overall great weekend results.

DevilDom

Enjoyed the game and the win against a very good panthers side but didn't enjoy watching us being out muscled at home. I'm not just talking about the 2 fights in which we were 2nd best as there were a number of borderline hits which should have seen some reaction. The first on Lord looked like Brown caught him with an elbow to the head in the first few minutes and left him visibly shaken on the ice. Was disappointing for me to see no reaction from our players especially as it was on the coach. It was also somewhat revealing to see the reaction of the panthers players to Moore when he was a little late on their Nettie when it seems the opposition can do what they want to Bowns with no reaction from our players. Not asking for them to take dumb penalties but do want them to stand up and be counted when it matters.

Anyway I thought we hung in well in the 1st period when Panthers were dominate & Bowns kept us in it. We then upped our game in the 2nd and were much more clinical than them before a fairly even 3rd period. Great to get 2 wins against top teams when we weren't particularly at our best but we'll have to be better as the season goes on.

Temme

superb result against what looks a fantastic Nottingham team as always.
Mokshantev, Shalla, Billingsley & Suave all look real quality.

Just on the note of Faryna, 2 goals in 2 EIHL games so far & clearly just thought "why not?" last night and decided to duke it out. didn't get much go his way in the fight but very poor to see Gagnon pull Faryna down by his HAIR...

For me thus far Faryna is a yard off the pace we've seen him at with Dundee, obviously we're only 2 games in so no doubt it will come but he seemed to be constantly 4-5 yards away from where he needed to be all night.

Their goalie - i wasn't impressed like i thought i would be, did everything routine but looked very uncomfortable in net & could not play the puck for love nor money.

If a goalie's stick breaks - FIRST PLAYER TO HIM NEEDS TO GIVE HIM A STICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm with Paul Sullivan (his tweet) and was screaming at Batch to give Bowns a stick - almost cost us a goal.

I thought Panthers were the better team for much of the game just Devils play so well when put onto the back foot in trapping teams.

I said before the season began Nottingham would win the league & i'll stick to it for now, they look a genuinely quality team despite the result last night.

That save from Bowns is quite frankly disgusting. To pull that off without a stick is out of this world. He pulled off so many worldies last season but that is one of the best.

Love the fact that Batch stepped up at the end and just made his presence known. He smashed down the Panther chasing Moore and none of them wanted to know. The Devils are playing smart right now. Lord got hit hard, but it was clean, it's silly taking penalties against a top team to "stand up" for your guys on a clean hit. Anything dirty, then sure go to town, but if it's clean like that, dust yourself down and take your licks because that's hockey. It's the reason they walked away 4-1.

Devil94

Just a note about Asselin, looked back to his best yesterday. Don’t know if it’s to do with the change in lines or just a few more games under his belt, but looked like the player we saw and loved last season.

Ulmer still looks a bit off the pace, but confident he will come good like last year.

Reddick starting to turn a corner too.

Mooney#16

I thought Ulmer was very good last night. Played a very smart game and his reading on plays was spot on all night. Broke up a lot of Panthers attacks high up the ice and still nearly produced. Only thing missing was a point or two but his game was all there.

I too thought Faryna was quiet until I actually watched and noticed for some reason he was being used as the wing outlet a lot and was carrying out the role of drawing the d man up ice towards him to then flip it past him into the corner for the forechecker to chase. You expect to see Faryna as the first man in taking the body but he was playing the strategy and was deliberately the last man in to the zone. If Faryna looked a bit anonymous it was more to do with tactics than him as a player last night. Playing in that role I find it hard to criticise the guy especially after he answered the call last night to lay down a marker about responding to oppositions getting physical.

terry hunt

I must have missed something in the game.When Reddick took the 2+5 penalty the 5 penalty does not show on the scoreboard.
The penalty ended but Reddick was in the box longer than his opponent.Was there some reason for this?

Mooney#16

Yes. Reddick got I think two for holding and five for fighting. Bussieres got a five for fighting. The fives are coincidental so weren't put on the board but the panthers had a powerplay due to the additional holding penalty and so two minutes was shown on the clock to be served by someone else who could return to the ice when the minor was expired. The game then returns to 5v5 but the penalised players stay in the box.

Reddick himself still actually has to sit in the box for seven minutes (2+5) and Bussieres for 5. Hence bussieres came out and Reddick didn't. Hope that makes sense.

superb result against what looks a fantastic Nottingham team as always.
Mokshantev, Shalla, Billingsley & Suave all look real quality.

Just on the note of Faryna, 2 goals in 2 EIHL games so far & clearly just thought "why not?" last night and decided to duke it out. didn't get much go his way in the fight but very poor to see Gagnon pull Faryna down by his HAIR...

For me thus far Faryna is a yard off the pace we've seen him at with Dundee, obviously we're only 2 games in so no doubt it will come but he seemed to be constantly 4-5 yards away from where he needed to be all night.

Their goalie - i wasn't impressed like i thought i would be, did everything routine but looked very uncomfortable in net & could not play the puck for love nor money.

If a goalie's stick breaks - FIRST PLAYER TO HIM NEEDS TO GIVE HIM A STICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm with Paul Sullivan (his tweet) and was screaming at Batch to give Bowns a stick - almost cost us a goal.

I thought Panthers were the better team for much of the game just Devils play so well when put onto the back foot in trapping teams.

I said before the season began Nottingham would win the league & i'll stick to it for now, they look a genuinely quality team despite the result last night.
I couldn't disagree with you more with respect to held the play yesterday. Take out the penalties and the game was very even with both teams having time territorially. I think the Devils when they got the lead at 4-1 sat back a bit. The Devils penalty killing units do not pressure much which makes it look like the other team has a very good pp and the Panthers do try and force the issue on their pk. The Panthers have a very talented team and it may come down to the wire again this with both these teams fighting it out for the title. But again the game was well played by both teams and it seems like when the Devils win there's always a " but ". Give credit where credit is deserved and the Deils derived that win yesterday. There was nothing cheap about it

jimmy snels

The problem is that we're not used to being second best really in the physical stakes (not just fighting). We've always been one of the toughest teams. I'm pretty certain that in Voth's day (or Ware, MacWilliam, McIntyre etc), that Bussieres would have had to answer for that beating down of Reddick by being no choiced later in the game. Yes Reddick may have wanted to go (Faryna too) but for a big guy to hand down a beating like that to one of our smallest guys on home ice, without having to answer for it, well I don't like that. At the end of the day we got the 2 points, which is all that matters really, but I don't like seeing opponents hand down beatings and take liberties with our players. On a different topic, well pleased to Louis and Fournier reunited on D, even if forced upon Lord by the injury to Paris. I hope he keeps that pairing together and they can build on their success of last year.
Couldnt agree more. In a peculiar way we win more but are no where near as entertaining to watch as the years go on under Lord. The first year he was coach was as entertaining as id ever seen. We hit everything that moved, players stood up for each other and we had some real characters. Now if im honest i enjoy the goals and mega pk, appreciate how good martin assalin and pope are, but miss all the drama that came of bashing teams about and winning a few fights! That year we actually barely scored more points in the league than last year when we won it.
I for one think in recruitment we could carry a rosehill or a gallant. They can play but also bring the pain. Im going to miss it for the drama and excitement it brings. People talk of batch filling that void? Thats not his game and never will be. Even last year whenever bordy made a huge hit EVERYONE loved it. The place went mad! I also agree with the above post with regards to the players targeted last night. Mcwilliam would murder gagnon next game. Voth would make the same point. Even more recently hendrikx for all his faults had his teams back.

Just my 2pence worth.

Paul Sullivan

The first year he was coach was as entertaining as id ever seen. We hit everything that moved, players stood up for each other and we had some real characters.
His first year as Coach we were in the BBT, the greatest home advantage in the EIHL. I always remember doing some filming with Lordo in the BBT dressing room and after we finished I asked him about putting together a team for the upcoming year to play in both rinks. He said, 'You guys better learn to love speed'.

We have a different ice surface, ice size, and building now. We cannot put the same teams together as in the past and expect success. We would be crucified if we did that. I love physical hockey as much as the next man (except maybe Wannabe:)) but we have a different identity now.

And for the record I wasn't screaming at just Batchy, but everyone. He simply replied on twitter about it :D

jimmy snels

Which is all absolutely relevant and agree. But this doesnt stop you making your hits or stepping up to settle scores. Rosehill is arguably one of the quickest skaters in the league. And one of the toughest. And in reality is ulmer farayna or crowder a fast player? Its a change in mentality thats gone way to far and something that to me is not our identity and i wont enjoy watching my team get hit about the rink and beat up upon.

I just don't understand people that watch hockey for the fights and hits - fair enough, when someone lands a decent hit it's entertaining.... but that's not really what hockey is about. It's like going to Wimbledon and only enjoying the serves, or going to a rugby match and only enjoying the scrums ... personally makes no sense to me. If all you're interested in is collisions, you're better off taking yourself down to the stock-car track! The best hockey players are not the guys that are chasing people around to land hits ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevilDom

I tend to agree with Jimmy. The non-physical play has gone too far for me. We are not the fastest skating team either but we are very effective at what we do. Very difficult for Lord but I think Panthers, Steelers etc. Will test us physically as the season goes on especially if things aren't going their way. Without a genuine tough guy in the team I fear we will struggle. Bordy may not of fought much last year but his mere presence and ability to throw some huge clean hits was enough to keep other teams in check.

DevilDom

I just don't understand people that watch hockey for the fights and hits - fair enough, when someone lands a decent hit it's entertaining.... but that's not really what hockey is about. It's like going to Wimbledon and only enjoying the serves, or going to a rugby match and only enjoying the scrums ... personally makes no sense to me. If all you're interested in is collisions, you're better off taking yourself down to the stock-car track! The best hockey players are not the guys that are chasing people around to land hits ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people (including me) were and are attracted to ice hockey for the full package it offers - skill, speed, goals, big hits & the chance of the occasional fight. You take some of that away and it merely becomes football on ice. Still entertaining but not as entertaining (for me anyway) as it was. I appreciate the game is changing but I really hope it doesn't go too far. I'd also add that this season so far I have seen more instances of diving / embellishment already than in previous seasons - another sad sign for the way the game is going.