Guildford Flames v Devils - Sun 10 Sep 2017 - C Cup - Chat/Updates

Foxy

Sorry but we have had a number of pre season and Chl games and my opinion of Reddick has not changed. He is not a good fit for the team. Fournier with Louis was perfect last season why the change. Is Batch better on d I'd say he was more effective last season. Loose a game yes but 8 goals to Guildford sorry imo major problems with defence that need fixing quick before league gets under way.

There is and was a learning period and that is an acceptable explanation. That boat I'm afraid has sailed. Lord has the support of the fans and the owner group, so has the luxury that many coaches don't have, he is in a pretty good place job wise and results have been achieved. I don't know how lucky the players are to have him, I'm sure opinions are widespread as in any employee/boss relationship. As in any position the management and performance is ultimately down to Lord, he picked the team, he's trained them and guided the team throughout the game. Do l rate Lord as a player, yes undoubtedly a massive loss to the team when he is not on the ice. As a coach on the bench, l rate him as a C+, he's ok, performances tend to slump. l don't believe away from the Devils he'd be afforded the same luxury and gain the achievements he has, maybe that's a good thing, maybe not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DevilDom

And the craziness continues!

Lord a C+ as a coach? The same coach that was one win away from the Grand Slam last year? The same coach that just beat one of the top sides in Europe with a team of whom not one player would get into the opposition? The same coach who has won at least one trophy in each of his seasons in charge?

Surely he is worth at least a B-? ;)

Last edited:

Earnie

It's early days. We have been groomed to expect better than last Sunday because of our success last season. There will be more such nights. No need to fall apart just yet .

I guess for me to get above a C+ requires getting more consistent in both player choice and performance from day one and winning trophies throughout his career. I'm not suggesting Lord should be replaced, I'm just surprised by fans conversations on here regarding players abilities, fitness, the positions they play and results.

Wannabe2

I guess for me to get above a C+ requires getting more consistent in both player choice and performance from day one and winning trophies throughout his career. I'm not suggesting Lord should be replaced, I'm just surprised by fans conversations on here regarding players abilities, fitness, the positions they play and results.

The season has only just begun so how can consistency come into it.

Kal

I thought Guildford played quite a dirty game, sticks and arms in places they shouldn't be all the time then throwing themselves on the floor at the slightest reaction from a devil. I'm not excusing our performance, Lord was right we didn't compete very well and I'm not seeing this team toughness that we're meant to have. Bring back the Lord-Myers-Faryna line!

bb1

"Crowder has a good hockey brain but for me when you retire once your always mentally retired imo. I'd have Cully back in a heartbeat" .

So let's get this right,you think because Crowder retired for a season he is mentally retired. And your solution to this is to get a retired player out of retirement to replace him?
I ment I'd have loved to have kept hold of Cully and not brought in a guy who hasn't played for a whole year........having seen a bit of Crowder. It worked with Asselin but it won't always do,e off. Like I said he seems to have a good hockey brain but doesn't seem right for me so far in terms of work rate like a Cully or Brine. He floats around and doesn't seem to play with the same intensity as the other 2 did. But I'm sure Lord knows what he's going to get out of him. It's just my opinion so far and yes I guess we shouldn't make solid judgements until October ish time.

Last edited:
I see where josh Williamson is coming from here how can anyone else not??

Lord was on the ice quite a lot last year and defo helped us to win the league and cup..
With him on the bench this season and not playing we will not win the league and be lucky to win the cup..

It's simple to see lord is needed on the ice not bench.

Gazza272

I see where josh Williamson is coming from here how can anyone else not??

I think it's quite simple.

a C+ suggests a level of underachievement. It suggests two bands worth of improvement are needed.

That's leveled against a Coach that won a Trophy in his first year, narrowly lost out in a final and the league in a second season where he was navigating a rink move (had to recruit with both ice pads in mind in case IAW was delivered on time) and then came 1 goal away from winning EVERY trophy on offer in his third year.

That isn't average, that's an unbelievable record. It took us 20 years and umpteen coaches to win a league title.

No coach is perfect, and Lord will always be the first to say he isn't. If coaches were perfect the same team would win the league year on year.

As for the recruitment, Ulmer was lambasted on here for the first half of the season for not being good enough. He ended up coaches player of the year and a game winning goal in the Challenge cup.

I'll back this coach to get over the hump of one bad result, just like he did after the Davos game.

I can't help but think the response to one loss, albeit a big one, is a little over the top.

Should we have shipped 8 goals? Of course not. I just think the guys went in complacent and tired after a run of *very* difficult games and the high of the Davos win. Guildford wanted it more, pumped to put in a good performance against last years champions to show they belong in the league. This stuff happens.

I think we can all safely assume that as we sit here dissecting the game, Lord has already done this 10x over and is putting things right.

I agree that we are a better team with him on the ice too, but he can't play forever. If you were going to get the team used to you not being out there then it makes sense to do it against Guildford instead of Steelers. (And I mean that with no disrespect to Guildford).

Let's just brush it off and move on.

Last edited:

osh

I can't help but think the response to one loss, albeit a big one, is a little over the top.

Let's just brush it off and move on.
I hardly think that the fact that probably no more than a dozen or so members who have posted criticism of Sunday's performance against Guildford is 'a little over the top'. Would you suggest that such posts not be made ? I'm expecting a huge change in attitude and effort from our guys in both upcoming games this weekend. If we play well, I will be the first to congratulate the team and any individual players. If we don't play well, and perform as we did last Sunday, I will also post my opinion accordingly. I'm sure the team can only improve on the last game's performance. I certainly don't expect us to win every game, it's not about that though, it's more about getting the basics right, playing for each other and competing at the level we know our guys are well capable of, that didn't happen last game and I am expecting a much improved performance this weekend.

Would you suggest that such posts not be made ?
Not at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to post whatever they want to. In the same way that I am okay to post that I think there is no need to overreact.

I'm also expecting a big improvement over last weekend, in all fairness I'm not sure how they can perform any worse. If the performances do continue to be subpar then I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I'm just not a fan of suggesting we drop players and that Player Coach Andrew Lord (Fairly sure that is his actual full name, he's never just called Andrew Lord) is a C+ manager off the back of 2 performance following some of the toughest games they have ever played.

Anyway, Saturday and Sunday to look forward to. Excited to see how we stack up against Panthers.