The team so far....

Thread starter #1
So what are people's thoughts on the team so far, especially the new comers?
Personally I'm impressed with Pope, he is going to be a hit in the league.
Parish has had some good goals, but for the player of his size, I don't think he's anywhere near as physical as he needs to be.
The team miss Lord when he's not on the ice.
I suspect that the Devils may get bullied in some of the games, especially against the teams with the designated 'tough guy'.
I hope we rectify our sloppy mistakes, and continue to improve.

solelace84

I'm not convinced by Reddick so far. He seems to make a lot of mistakes. I'm unsure as to why Lordo gives him so much ice time... maybe he knows something we haven't seen yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as previous years. Sign decent players, first few months of highs, lows and inconsistency. Don't see anything really to surprise me, don't know if it's Lords methods or it's just what happens in the sport of Hockey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingmo19.1

My round up of the new comers :-

Pope - Great signing, physical and should rack-up a load of points.
Paris - Impressed with this lad, size, strength and offensively productive. Could be a bit more physical at times.
Faryna - Bit anonymous in the games I have seen to date. Great at Dundee but hasn't reproduced that form yet.
Moore - Must be frustrating for him as not much ice time to date so can't judge.
Crowder - Not too impressed to date, looks unfit and struggling. Hopefully will come good when bedded in after a year out.
Reddick - Not too impressed, gets caught out of position a lot. Can see him getting battered around a lot this season.

Thread starter #5
Agree on Reddick. Seen him being untied a few times now.
Batchy has big potential as a power forward. But think he's lacking a bit of confidence.
Would be good to see Faryna play like he did up in Scotland.
Moore is doing well, he's a very good skater. Guy has potential.

osh

People were saying pre season that reddick looked really good?
Quite a sudden turn around.
Short memory KD. You mean to say that 'some' people were saying pre season that Reddick looked really good don't you ? I happened to mention quite clearly that when someone mentioned he was 'real class' that I doubted that very much and wasn't impressed with the signing but hoped to be proven wrong ( which I still do ) you then went off on one, resulting in some of your posts being deleted. Anyway, that's in the past, I politely ask you therefore, what are your thoughts on him so far ?

KaneDevils

Short memory KD. You mean to say that 'some' people were saying pre season that Reddick looked really good don't you ? I happened to mention quite clearly that when someone mentioned he was 'real class' that I doubted that very much and wasn't impressed with the signing but hoped to be proven wrong ( which I still do ) you then went off on one, resulting in some of your posts being deleted. Anyway, that's in the past, I politely ask you therefore, what are your thoughts on him so far ?
Posts deleted, yes, and a week long ban for saying you should dismount your horse. Harsh I'd say.
And your wrong here too, jumping the gun. People were saying he looked good after actually seeing him play.
Yes he gets caught out of position but then so does fournier and hotham. The latter getting away with it because of his point production. He skates fast and skates well, points highlighted by others in pre season games vs braehead and Nottingham X 2
It's very early doors, he will probably get better as the season progresses. It's often the case. ;)

Last edited:

osh

True, people were indeed saying he looked good after seeing him play. My comments were based on actually seeing him play previously ( against Steelers ) and I was concerned about him being a small D man ( Kip Noble was small and very good ) that's why I mentioned about hoping to be proven wrong. I'm still concerned that he gets brushed aside far too easily and that worries me. By the way, he's not the only player that worries me but I'll wait until at least a dozen games are played to see how the team gels ( I'm hoping Lord makes changes tbh )

Foxy

We can't afford to wait 12 games if we have any hope of retaining the title. Some changes need to be made now imo

osh

We can't afford to wait 12 games if we have any hope of retaining the title. Some changes need to be made now imo
You may be right, who knows. I would also agree with KaneDevils that not enough credit is being given to a great Flames performance against us. I haven't been happy with quite a few of our defensive performances since the first friendly games have not been afraid to say so.

It's been pointed out by a few, to date those fears seem to be correct, worrying when fans point out these issues prior to games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

This is going to sound totally mental but .....

Should we be giving Guildford more credit?
Brian Stewart has always been our nemesis goalie but the difficulty getting the puck passed him does not explain poor defensive accountability from our team at the other end.

Recruitment and style in the Elite League has definitely improved this season. Every game is going to be difficult. Some teams have faster,maybe fitter players than ours - that might be a big issue when executing a game plan.

However, whilst fans should not expect the team to win every game, clearly a big goals against loss would suggest some sort of defensive breakdown. An early shock like that willat least allow them to correct it now.

KaneDevils

Brian Stewart has always been our nemesis goalie but the difficulty getting the puck passed him does not explain poor defensive accountability from our team at the other end.

Recruitment and style in the Elite League has definitely improved this season. Every game is going to be difficult. Some teams have faster,maybe fitter players than ours - that might be a big issue when executing a game plan.

However, whilst fans should not expect the team to win every game, clearly a big goals against loss would suggest some sort of defensive breakdown. An early shock like that willat least allow them to correct it now.
I was as shocked and as disappointed as anyone losing, but more so conceding 8 against a team new to the league. However, conceding that many doesn't necessarily mean we were poor in defence, it could of been the forwards not back checking, a few unlucky bounces, being short handed because of a harsh call or three, brilliant individual skill with a top shelf finish, the goalie being screened and not seeing the shot, unlucky deflection, the list goes on. As they say, onwards and upwards.

I just wish people wouldn't get too dramatic about it but at the same time, on the other side of the coin, not slate those who are angry at such a performance/result. It is simply a sign of passion and the desire to be the best. A few here just seem to think we enjoy a moan. You have to try to be a realist and give a fair and accurate account of the game.

Ocko

KaneDevils is right on his point about defence.

You defend as a 5 man unit, not 2. Defence doesn't stop at the blueliners. Often the biggest culprits for a bad D are forwards, especially so when they aren't giving outlets for a pass, which makes your D look bad at passing or not covering their point men and giving up the big shots from the point. Often D men are completely helpless, despite being the ones taking the brunt of it from some fans.

ASHIPP

I was as shocked and as disappointed as anyone losing, but more so conceding 8 against a team new to the league. However, conceding that many doesn't necessarily mean we were poor in defence, it could of been the forwards not back checking, a few unlucky bounces, being short handed because of a harsh call or three, brilliant individual skill with a top shelf finish, the goalie being screened and not seeing the shot, unlucky deflection, the list goes on. As they say, onwards and upwards.

I just wish people wouldn't get too dramatic about it but at the same time, on the other side of the coin, not slate those who are angry at such a performance/result. It is simply a sign of passion and the desire to be the best. A few here just seem to think we enjoy a moan. You have to try to be a realist and give a fair and accurate account of the game.
By 'defensive accountability' and 'defensive breakdown' I was refering to the defensive responsibilties of all players on the ice, not throwing blame at the d corps.

We have seen before this season that some of the most dominating hockey played by our team has been when when all the players priotise their defensive responsibilties and positioning.

8 goals against does expose some weaknesses in that area no matter how much credit we want to give the opposition.

All pre-season I've been saying I'm unsure about Reddick - after tonight I am sure. He is terrible - constant turnovers, can't make passes! I don't understand his spot on this roster...

Johnnybravo1927

All pre-season I've been saying I'm unsure about Reddick - after tonight I am sure. He is terrible - constant turnovers, can't make passes! I don't understand his spot on this roster...

I have to agree. He is either not hitting stride yet or he is not up to the standard. Not sure which one