Guildford Flames v Devils - Sun 10 Sep 2017 - C Cup - Chat/Updates

Earnie

Saying that Lord is not happy on the bench can be taken several ways. I see it as he is not happy because Devils are loosing and not likely to win this particular game and the referee needs an assistant?

BostonBart22

Something not right in the camp imo, apparently batch sticked lord last night and was benched a while and same player benched for a while tonight...STRANGE.

Something not right in the camp imo, apparently batch sticked lord last night and was benched a while and same player benched for a while tonight...STRANGE.
Louis sticked Lordo apparently, not batch. Either way, shocking and embarrassing result tonight. Thank god it's not a league game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Early days yet but this is a very timely warning sign that NO team should be taken for granted this season.
Brian Stewart always has been the Devils' nemesis...but the difficulty in putting goals passed him does not explain the weaknesses in defensive play.

Folks commenting about the positive impact of Lordo when playing...they are a different team with him out there. Thought their on-ice leadership was weak at times last night. Sounds like it was missing again in parts tonight. I'm flumaxed why one of our successful defence pairings from last season has been split up.

Incidentally, Steelers won both their games this weekend playing short-benched. 50% of their goals were scored on pp last night!

Last edited:

august04

We have no right to win every game but that's an unacceptable score line. 8 goals conceded is not on and there is something not right about our defensive unit this season. Apart from the Davos home game, when we played a much tighter game and more defensive style, we've been far too loose at the back. We have two returning D units in Hotham-Richardson and Fournier-Louis, both served us superbly well last season, yet we've split the latter and Louis is getting significantly less ice time. I just don't get it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'd be interested to hear how many odd man rushes we gave up tonight?
Also, if the price of signing a spare import is Lord not playing, then please don't sign one! We have inferior players to Lord on the ice when he's on the bench and we should be playing our best team every game. And why is the league MVP sitting out fighting penalties both games of our opening league/CC campaign? Utter madness and this happened last time we didn't sign an enforcer when 'team toughness' was the supposed order of the day. And Hotham got a serious hand injury that year. He needs to be on the ice, not fighting - others should be stepping up to the plate for that, or sign an enforcer who's prepared to fight. A very disappointing night.

Milky

What can I say about that!!!!! Over three and a half hours to get there on the coach with the traffic and we play like that.

Very very poor. We get bullied for two and half periods before Haddad and Hotham start standing up. Great fight from Hotham but do we want him injuring himself and spending time in the bin? Two short handed goals against and even Ritchie had a poor game (so rare you know we're going to have a bad night when that happens).

For me I just don't see what Faryna brings at the moment. Poor on the puck, off the pace in play and anonymous throughout the game. Same last night.

Guildford were more physical, quicker to the puck and seemed hungrier. Our basics were bad tonight with so many miss trapped pucks.

Paris, Forns were good tonight. Forns coast to coast goal was a thing of beauty and a contender for goal of the season.

Great place to visit. Welcoming and friendly staff and fans and the food was good too. Completely random but the music choice all night was excellent.

Worry about our physicality this season. Think teams will take liberties compared to last season without Bordy. As ineffective as a player as he was, he certainly kept other teams in check.

The_Puck

Very poor tonight. Finding positives from this game is very difficult. POSITIVES:
1) It was only a cup game
2) Paris was a beast again
3) We scored 4 goals
4) Hotham won a fight
NEGATIVES:
1) We were out-muscled & out- battled
2) Haddad will be banned for cheap shoting their guy and then continuously punching him on the floor
3) Hotham and Richardson had a very poor game
4) Guildford wanting it more than us
5) Our discipline was shocking!
6) We lost the majority of face-offs

Overall, we were outplayed in every department (apart from fighting).

Why on EARTH is Hotham, the league MVP, fighting and risking injury in challenge cup group games - something is seriously wrong

EDIT: I bet Bordy is laughing his face off right now ...

Last edited:

Johnnybravo1927

Faryna will come good. Bad day at the office but its only a cup game, lets not panic yet. We had a superb team last season and havent made huge changes to it though I think we will really miss Scott Hotham and Reddick doesnt come close as a replacement

august04

Faryna will come good. Bad day at the office but its only a cup game, lets not panic yet. We had a superb team last season and havent made huge changes to it though I think we will really miss Scott Hotham and Reddick doesnt come close as a replacement
I'd rather see Batch back on D and Reddick on the 4th forward line if I'm honest.

Russky

A bad day at the office. end of. Done dusted move on to next weekend which is a toughie but we know what to expect from the Steelers and Panthers.

Last edited:
I would say sacking someone after 2 CC group games is a bit hasty!! I'm not convinced with Reddick either, but let's give the guy a chance. I'm starting to think that we need an enforcer type guy, after being vehemently opposed to the idea previously... Disappointed that I barely notice Faryna on Saturday night. I don't agree with Hotham fighting all the time...

backrow

I think there was no better player than Chris Culligan at getting back when D were caught up ice. His strong D zone defensive play, backchecking and penalty killing will be greatly missed.

It's a bad game that's all. No need to panic. If this game was in March then you might be concerned but it's only September and as I mentioned a few hours ago, some times you need a good a.. kicking to get your head back into it. They certainly didn't have any respect for either team this weekend and it showed in their play. Both games were poorly played. Last year this team always responded with a good win after a bad loss , remember the 8-0 loss to the Panthers ,so i'm sure they will have a long hard week of practice and will be ready for next weekend. The bottom line is the work ethic needs to elevate and that's everyone. Out of 10, their collective work ethic this weekend was about 5 and unless that gets to a consistent and exceptable number of 9-10 they will continue to struggle. It all boils down to how hard you work and how you compete