DAVOS Fan Behaviour

Celticdruid

Thread starter #1
Guys,

I have thought long and hard before posting this as I did not want to dampen the mood or unjustly target or damage the reputation of any of the Davos Fans that attended. In general I found the spirit of their supporters fantastic and they were enjoying a carnival atmosphere which I don't blame them for when on tour. However, it was sad to see the odd tool amongst them trying defiantly to entice trouble. Some of the people on the lower seats next to the Plexi were shouting more in a football hooligan manner than an Ice Hockey crowd.

Initially I heard a few of them chanting after a few beers "Nottingham, Nottingham, Nottingham" followed by "England, England, England", it was not in the usual banter manner but quite hostile. I would have forgiven this odd muppet and put it down to drink, however, I was there with my partner and two young children whom are new to hockey. I have been a devils supporter for well over 20 years and felt safe in the knowledge that my partner could use the toilets in the rink without any problems. Unfortunately, as the winning goal went in she returned to me shocked and stating that she had just witnessed a DAVOS supporter push and attack a DEVILS supporter for no reason at all the second the game winning goal was scored. The DEVILS supporter apparently simply shook his head whilst another DAVOS fan pulled said mutant away.

Disgusting behaviour and if this is what some CHL teams call supporters then I would rather be out of it.

It does make me proud though that British Hockey has some fantastic banter and rivalry but in general we all keep a family friendly and safe environment whilst still supporting our team.

Question is do I report the behaviour of that fan to the Devils and ask them to check CCTV and refer it to DAVOS club as we know the exact time and location of the incident. Hopefully his club will see a suitable ban awarded to him as a representative.

solelace84

Although such behaviour is pretty rubbish, I highly doubt it would result in a ban! Hockey/sports fans all over the place are like that! Do they ever get banned? Not usually. Besides, you don't know if the Devils fan said/did anything first. Unfortunately there are idiots amongst us wherever and whoever we are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo1927

it wasn't that long back that one of our own fans confronted a Coventry player as he left the rink. We have our own few idiots as well. Put it down to being drunk and silly. As you said, one of his own fans pulled him away and no doubt chastised him over his idiotic behaviour.

august04

It wasn't just one. There were quite a few in the first couple of rows (no Devils fans around them so let's not play the provocation card) and at one point I thought it was going to turn nasty when they were confronted by security. I saw one lout aggressively throw something at the security guy, who really should have chucked a few of them out, as they were giving him dogs abuse, no doubt fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol. Eventually, they were policed by their own fans but it was the closest I've seen to a potentially serious crowd incident at a hockey game.

Celticdruid

Thread starter #5
I understand that where there are large groups of fans then you will on occasions have the fool amongst the pack. Like I said the majority of the Davos fans were there for a good experience and boy did they give us fans something to think about. But......at least 10 on the bottom row were hostile and confrontational and to the point where several devils fans with young families were moved to other seats. It is not acceptable by any means when families pay for there desired seats and feel to intimidated to sit in them for the game.

I am not looking for blame at all, I am however, looking to highlight the fact that it can not be allowed to get to this level and security should have acted on the idiots as appose to moving the innocents.

solelace84

I have to admit that I did notice several guys at the front shouting abuse and heckling their own team at the end of the game - as the Davos players skated over to the corner, they all just stood there momentarily with their heads down and didn't look at the fans, then just skated off. It was quite bizarre to see!

kingmo19.1

I don't condone bad fan behaviour and I'm pleased in this instance that the more sensible Davos fans took the correct course of action in diffusing the situation.

Every club has its fair share of idiots, ours included. Unfortunately a few people can't quite hold as much drink as they envisage and spoil things for the rest - I recall we had a few instances in the BBT.

At their best they were very noisy and passionate; happy to play beach ball with Devils kids in the interval; receive bags of sweets from a generous Devils family; and to sing lullabys to Benti's youngest. It was a spectacle to watch their huge passion and noisy support for their team for the entirety of the game.
At their worst, and soon after the sweets, beer was thrown at the direction of Devils' fans. Why I'm not sure. Upon defeat, it seemed those who had trouble with their liquor wanted to drop the shoulder into people they were passing on the walkway. Not big and not clever.
Not sure I can agree with the [apparently] commonly held view they were 'amazing.'

Looks like I may have upset some people with my facebook post but I posted it as how I saw it. We where sat at the back of block 13 across the aisle from the Davos fans, which at the start I was having second thoughts about. Yes the ones down the front two rows were more intense (where the phrase ultras come from) could be deemed aggressive and at one stage I do believe a beer was thrown. but lets be honest here my family is split between the giants and the devils and on occasions in the past we have been pushed/ shouldered past in both arena's by home fans for having an away shirt myself in Belfast and my wife in Cardiff. I cannot comment on the instance of the original post and do not in anyway condone that sort of behaviour, however unlike some due to the design of the IAW i do not believe that more sercurity would have been better. If these fans had a less savoury element I believe they would look for trouble with a large group of Devils fans with which to have it (which thankfully UK hockey does not attract) otherwise there attention would have been to the police/sercurity/stewards. Sometimes less is more and having just four stewards did not give them the excuse to have it.Looking at how Nottingham dealt with the SC Bern fans using similar method to hem them in as seen at football matches that would not have worked in our arena it is too open. At the end of the game we had fans come across the aisle and shake our hands. Yes they all had a skinful an most likely drink was talking but who hasn't been into a British city on a saturday night and sen drink related trouble. So sorry for this extended rant but I just wanted to say how I saw it and why I posted the video on facebook. For anyway who had a lesser experience on the night from HC Davos fans I am truly sorry for my post. As you can see I don't tend to post my opinions on here so I will scurry off to my little hole.

Unfortunately at sporting events inside & outside of the UK, nationality does not remove stupidity. I would suggest not sitting near the away block with children would be prudent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was sitting in block 14 and you know their fans have a big passion, but they were like football hooligans!! How they could keep the momentum up to chant through the entire game I don't know. But they were so so aggressive when it came to us scoring a goal or if a penalty was being called on one of their players. The ones in the front row were just insane from the start. I saw them throwing beer on the ice, hitting the plexiglass with their flags. Throwing the beach ball at the security which is completely unacceptable. I had one of their fans staring me out and then hurling a load of abuse at me which I just ignored. Then worst thing I saw is a girl in their fan group light a cigarette in our rink at the end of the game. Like come on. Show a bit of respect. I doubt their allowed to smoke in their rink!!

Devil94

That sort of behaviour by fans is normal in mainland Europe, they have the football atmosphere and hockey is seen as less of a family sport. That’s why in Davos the away section had a separate entrance and is fenced off, and in Liberec there was armed police patting down the away fans.

I’m not saying one way is right or wrong, but when Davos fans come in to our rink with a family atmosphere with no separation and less stewards, their normal actions are going to be perceived as over the top.

If policed effectively however, the atmosphere of a full rink with two sets of fans like that can be absolutely electric. Imagine a few thousands more of those Davos fans doing the same noise.

kingmo19.1

Its somewhat a shame that our rink almost resembles a crèche these days on game night and incidents like this get a little bit Leary. Why people bring babies and very little ones is very strange - all that noise and hassle (not only for the parents but for those sat infront who get a earful of crying all game!).

Shame we don't have a specific family block where parents and youngsters can sit together away from the rival fans.

Sound idea.
Security shouldn't just be a token show though. Everyone has a right to a safe and enjoyable night, wherever they sit.

Have Hope#35

Its somewhat a shame that our rink almost resembles a crèche these days on game night and incidents like this get a little bit Leary. Why people bring babies and very little ones is very strange - all that noise and hassle (not only for the parents but for those sat infront who get a earful of crying all game!).

Shame we don't have a specific family block where parents and youngsters can sit together away from the rival fans.
I wouldn't tar all children with the same brush! My 3 Year old loves it, never cries, joins in with all the chants and is a Season Ticket Holder.
In our league it is a Family Sport!

Devil94

I would definitely prefer the Davos style of support than the support we see in British hockey. It’s much louder and better visually, which makes a fantastic atmosphere. A lot of supporters noise in rinks in this country feels forced, with just one or two chants repeated and clapping.
Obviously preferably without the one or two idiot but as has already been said, they will unfortunately be everywhere.

Personally I'd rather not take kids to an ice hockey game, it is a pretty tough sport, I'd prefer not to have children witness the on and off ice antics and language, but that's my opinion. The IAW needs to seriously take a step back and get a grip of its management style, one thing is queues, but not having an understanding of users and identifying possible issues prior to a game and insuring adequate security/Stewarding provision is unacceptable. Maybe the fan council can raise it at the next meeting.

solelace84

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I can't stand that lager-lout, football-hooligan culture. On the other hand, I was sat in block 10, and they contributed 80% of what was a great atmosphere at IAW. It has to be said that the usual monotonous Devils chants sounded even worse compared to their extended repertoire of songs and chants!

Yeah l guess in an ideal world an arena full of the Davos style of fan bravado with good humour would make for an amazing experience, it was for the vast majority at the IAW that night.