Ski slope

Thread starter #1
Not sure if this needs moving but.

It's just been announced that a proposed development in Merthyr Tydfil will include Europes longest Indoor Ski Slope

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/plans-build-one-europes-longest-13574736

Is South Wales gonna get two ski slopes or is it another pie in the sky idea. It does really offer a great opportunity in an area desperate for this type of development, it's an amazing proposal that hopefully will succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gough60

just like the last ski slope they had there. Was outdoors but only lasted a strawberry season.
lots of welcome mats outside lots of Merthyr homes.

Ocko

To be honest I'll be amazed to see any further development by Greenbank. I don't think we will see the car park, food outlets, ski slope or retail units.

Thread starter #4
Cardiff Council recently announced proposed developments for the next 25 yrs, there was no mention of the bay ski slope or development in that area.

Jones72

Not sure if this needs moving but.

It's just been announced that a proposed development in Merthyr Tydfil will include Europes longest Indoor Ski Slope

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/plans-build-one-europes-longest-13574736

Is South Wales gonna get two ski slopes or is it another pie in the sky idea. It does really offer a great opportunity in an area desperate for this type of development, it's an amazing proposal that hopefully will succeed.

Considering who's involved with it, it's a lot more credible than the bay proposal.

A 500m indoor snow slope would be amazing, and one of the biggest indoor facilities in Europe. With Bike Park Wales on the doorstep it's already proven that such a facility can draw people in, and when it comes to ski/snowboard people are travelling ridiculous distances (6 hour round-trip to MK, 9 hour round-trip to Manchester) in order to get time on a real snow slope. I'm one of them.

Seriously hoping this one works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones72

4-5 hour round trip and the "snow" is pretty crappy/inconsistent by comparison. There's also a 90 degree bend part way down, and a lot of learners and lesson groups in the lower section. Not unusable, but if I've got to drive that far, I'd sooner drive an extra 30 minutes to the better slope at MK.

Thread starter #8
I'd love to see this development go ahead, not just the slope, the whole project would be great. My only concern though is these "biggest in Europe" headlines tend to be used on projects that don't get the green light. A 500 meter slope will have huge running costs, the U.K.s biggest being 185 meters. The Cardiff ski slope was also going to be the biggest snow area in Europe. I'd prefer less headlines and an actual build take place as opposed to political points scoring headlines before elections.

Jones72

I don't recall such a claim for the Cardiff one, but I agree with you with the need for builders onsite rather than bold headlines (though it has value in terms of awareness and support).

Thread starter #10
From memory it was initially promoted to include a 1,800 sq meter snow world for children, with two slopes, a 150m by 45m and a nursery slope of 50m by 50m. The snow world was promoted as the largest indoor area of its kind in Europe. It then got redesigned as a 250m slope, with car parking underneath and shops, retail and hotel. The planning for that scheme had to be applied for within 3 yrs, that was back in 2012, to date it has not been received. Greenbank struggled to pay the £16 mill for the IAW, £235 million to complete the development is not and never was feasible. The Merthyr proposal is at least being developed by commercial clients with outlying projects within the development, complemented by some housing. It has much more commercial viability and vision. With the prospect of 800 jobs, I'm sure this project will complete.