Congratulations Nottingham Panthers

voth26

I can see a few of the players being released this season if I'm honest..
I respect your post but why would we release players because we haven't a done what the panthers have done!!!. If the panthers hadn't been as successful as they have would people still be writing the Devil's off?? Obviously we wanted to do well in the CHL but honestly we were never going to. For me the EIHL is the priority and I trust Lord and the Devil's to do their best like last season.

First I'd also like to state congrats to the Panthers, I thought congrats was in order after getting results against Mountfield but this is a whole new level of awesomeness.

What is it about Nottingham and punching above their weight in Europe? Corey / Cloughy FTW

Not sure why the naysayers are out in force at the moment, last season we were sloppy for a while. I remember almost letting Coventry back into a challenge cup game and just making basic mistakes against the steelers (also cup).

I also remember the panthers fans serenading us with "top of the league, your having a laff" during the 8-0 mullering.

How about how we needed to gas Ulmer even though he was still settling in and providing assists?

All of the above occured in a season when we won the league, the cup, our conference and came within an overtime goal of a clean sweep.

We shouldn't be looking for peak performance yet, especially not against this level of opposition.

osh

Echo what most are saying regarding Panthers...well done, you have certainly shocked a lot of punters. Great results and I like the look of the team set up, we are going to find it extremely tough this coming season with so many improvements made to the other teams. Have we matched them on team personnel, quite honestly, I don't think so. I am disappointed in many aspects of our play and am certainly not impressed with the level of fitness at this stage of the season bearing in mind we knew we would be up against it with the sides we drew in the CHL group. I'm not doubting the team's willingness on the ice, just that you have to be a lot fitter to compete at higher levels of hockey and then carry that in to the regular season. Fitness can be improved on for sure, do I see a few changes needed, yes.

Do not think any team in our conference will win the league this season as we are all stronger, and expect us to take points off each other throughout the season, whereas the other conferences have one outstanding team each who I expect to win most of their own conference games - play-offs and CC may be the best options we will have - think this seasons games will be a lot more physical so could all depend on how the stripies handle them

Mooney#16

Wouldn't it just be the EIHL way that what appears to be a huge leap forward with these results in the CHL be completely undone in 12 months time when we send a lesser team to compete because we rendered the league result so corrupted by the bonkers conference system and inability to get a handle on the play off system. I have a horrible feeling you are correct and the league will go out of conference and that really will be a nightmare from a league credibility perspective.

kettdevil1

Do not think any team in our conference will win the league this season as we are all stronger, and expect us to take points off each other throughout the season, whereas the other conferences have one outstanding team each who I expect to win most of their own conference games - play-offs and CC may be the best options we will have - think this seasons games will be a lot more physical so could all depend on how the stripies handle them
Interesting post. Who do you see as the outstanding teams in the other conferences?

Personally I would be shocked if a team in our conference doesn't win the league.

Well done Panthers ...Fantastic results over the weekend,

Great result tonight !! Disappointed the regulation time goal got wiped out but great mental strength to go again to get the goal in OT.

ASHIPP

Good luck to the Panthers who are playing Zurich tonight in the first knockout round of CHL. Return game in Nottingham on 7th November. The biggest games in their history.

Freesports are showing this from 6.45 tonight.

I hope they do well, both for the added perception of our league and also for their fans.
I remember a few posting on here consoling us after our opening game vs Davos rather than stoking the flames.

Good luck to them, it would be amazing for them to advance further. I hope next yr we get to improve on our CHL achievement. Sport is about challenges and beating the odds, supporters need to leave their emotions for their club and get behind any team that has the opportunity to challenge at this level. It’s an amazing opportunity for UK Ice Hockey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

For anyone interested, think the Panthers vs Zurich game is live on BBC Sports Red Button and Freesports 424 this evening.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

3-1 to ZSC Lions. Panthers had a pp chance in closing minutes (including 5 on 3). Panthers played well but Zurich had tons of energy to get the job eventually done and more possession. Garnett outstanding.

2nd leg in Nottingham next week.

ASHIPP

Reading the Panthers'website today, Corey's Father passed away a couple of days ago. To stay with the team at such a key personal moment in his life shows the commitment of the man.

He is back in Canada with his family. Thoughts are with him.

ASHIPP

Wishing the Panthers all the best in the home leg against Zurich tonight. Virtually sold out so the atmosphere for the home team will be electric. It would be something special if Nottingham could qualify for the next round.

The Panthers have done a fantastic job showcasing the best standards in UK ice hockey. Their CHL games have been exciting to watch.....on Freesports again tonight for anyone interested.