Devils v Bili Tygri Liberec - Thurs 31 Aug 2017 / 7:00pm

I actually quite enjoyed last night, and have enjoyed our run in the CHL on the whole as well. We were never going to win this competition, and if we don't win one game then that's OK, I think it's safe to say that everybody knew we were going up against teams of a much higher level than anything we've played before. Would I like to see us win one? Obviously. Is it the end of the world if we don't do that against teams who play at a much higher speed and intensity, across the whole of their game (some of Liberec's passing & puck control last night was outstanding)? Absolutely not.

I think in these kinds of situations you need to think of the bigger picture. These sides are the best we're likely to face all year, offensively, and while it might not be the most enjoyable experience for the players to lose by these margins it's still a good preparation for the team on the whole, defensively, with an eye toward the domestic season. Yes, there are some things to take away and work on from last night, and that won't change, but consider the way that we played in the first games against the Panthers to how we looked in the first period against Davos & Liberec away, and then in the first period last night - it was a completely different team, and I would back us to beat most teams in our league if we were to play like that.

The biggest negative from last night, I thought, was the refereeing. Some of the calls Darnell & co made seemed ridiculous, almost apologist calls to make up for angering the Liberec coach. Also, can somebody explain why when they had four players in the bin and we had two that the referees insisted we went down to three men instead of four, when we were supposed to be on a power play? Nobody seemed to know what that was about last night.

Leighton

can somebody explain why when they had four players in the bin and we had two that the referees insisted we went down to three men instead of four, when we were supposed to be on a power play? Nobody seemed to know what that was about last night.
Ditto that!

A nice guy sitting in front of me did try to explain to me but i still have no clue...

Leighton

just googled it. rules state you cant have less than 3 plus goalie on the ice regardless of how many are in the box. the players who are sitting in the box serve extra time to cover the penalty minutes of the players who should be in the bin so the offending team is shorthanded for longer... if that makes sense.

pjj365

And how after the disallowed goal because there were 7 skaters on the ice, did they not receive a too many men penalty?
Seems they did as someone was in the bin but nothing on the score board and no announcement
Goalie then came out and they tried to carry on with 5 out players So guess they did not know what was going in but begs the question why was someone in the bin Was it from a previous penalty
Like the refs I'm confused

Devil94

Well exactly. Someone went from the bench to the box, but then there still five skaters and a goalie on the ice for the following face off?

terry hunt

Assuming i am reading the Czech system correctly Komet Brno were champs beating Liberec in the final.
Liberec beat Mountfield HK in the semis.
Looking at the quality of their players Martin Bakos who scored the hat trick and ran us ragged all night joined them this season from the KHL.He has moved between 2 teams Liberec in Czech Extraliga and the KHL.He has over a 100 khl games to his credit ,plays for Slovakia in the top group at the world chamapionships against Russia,Sweden etc all of which explains why our players should not be too downhearted after last night.The worrying thing is we have the Vaxjo Lakers to play and they are better than Liberec.Should be a privilege to watch our team up against such oppostion.Will Vaxjo be the best club team to have played the Devils in Cardiff.?

Earnie

Darnell did not have
proper control of that game , especially in the third. Too many non calls on Liberec and then some dubious calls and then ,with some help from the time keepers , the penalties went a bit iffy. Being on the loosing side I would say that.
I hope he is not around on Sunday?
Why when there is a 2+2 do we not have 4 on the clock.? I am sure when watching one of the Away games I saw a 4 go up?

Jonesy83

I get totally confused with these penalties, why, when Josh was given his penalty, did Craig Moore go into the bin?
Batch was thrown out of the game and sent to the locker room by the officials (game misconduct) so someone else would have to sit in the penalty box on his behalf, hence Moore going into the bin.

Dice

The problems lie with the score board itself. The system cannot add 4 minutes so will only show 2 a time and it also cannot operate 3 penalties for one team at once. This caused the problems with the too many men situations as once 2 minor penalties expired for Liberec the third could not start. This meant the coach thought they could add the extra skater again as there was nothing on the clock, even though in the background there was a penalty counting down. Not the officials or the time keepers fault as you can only work with the tools you are provided with.

I also suggest researching coincidental and personal penalties to understand why certain things are added to the clock or not and why players still have to go to the box. To answer an earlier question, Craig Moore served Josh's penalty as he had a Game misconduct, meaning someone needed to sit the five minutes and josh is ejected from the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legin

There was a penalty called for too many men, however there was a delayed penalty on Matt Myers so the call was co-incidental and not on the clock.

Gough60

i loved the 7 on 3 right at the end. they had a 5 on 3, then had a delayed penalty so pulled their keeper (6 on 3).
After gallantly holding out for about 25 seconds for no reason a Liberic player left their bench for a 7 on 3. They score and then questioned why wiped off. did make me chuckle.

Foxy

How the hell darnell didn't call anything when Matt Myers was blatantly being held by Liberic players from the bench is farcical.........
Batchs penalty was a retaliation for a massive slash on Bowns, which of course wasn't called, again right in front of refs.

As for the game totally outclassed by a better team. However I do have concerns about our D. Not convinced on Paris. May score goals but lets as many in by not doing the basics. Lacks consistency and looked slow last night. Reddick is a frustrated forward but if he's going to be allowed to go forward like that the the team have to cover. Hotham trying to do too much and getting caught. Louis was non existent last night. Richardson was his usual reliable self. Only one looking match fit.

Devil94

Strange because I think Paris is our best d man so far. Not been convinced by Reddick as a d man yet but will wait until a month into the league season before making a full judgement.
Hotham and Fournier have started slow but no worries there as we know what they can do.
Louis and Richardson look their normal selves to me.

Kipper

The problems lie with the score board itself. The system cannot add 4 minutes so will only show 2 a time and it also cannot operate 3 penalties for one team at once. This caused the problems with the too many men situations as once 2 minor penalties expired for Liberec the third could not start. This meant the coach thought they could add the extra skater again as there was nothing on the clock, even though in the background there was a penalty counting down. Not the officials or the time keepers fault as you can only work with the tools you are provided with.

I also suggest researching coincidental and personal penalties to understand why certain things are added to the clock or not and why players still have to go to the box. To answer an earlier question, Craig Moore served Josh's penalty as he had a Game misconduct, meaning someone needed to sit the five minutes and josh is ejected from the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is spot on. More than two penalties to a team at once and the additional penalties have to be added manually at the next stoppage in play. The system is a nightmare to operate in these circumstances and players obviously get irritated by it

terry hunt

I accept that the Devils were beaten by a faster more skillfull team but i am surprised by statements made that they not fit/conditioned for these games.Was this years preparation different to previous years?.
The panthers did not seem to have this problem.Are there any fitness experts who can explain this?
Do the Devils need a period with the Army boot camp?