HC Davos v Devils - Thurs 24th Aug 2017 / 7.45

wildthing74

Not shame and no shock in that scoreline. The boys battled all night but they are simply light years ahead of us as a league and organisation. Apparently they have 20 non playing staff so that alone shows how much more money they can invest in the on Ice roster if they can carry that too.

They were breathtaking to watch and you simply had to stand back and admire the level of skill on show.

We need the challenges as a team and it will only make us better and hopefully every guy will be even more hungry to win our domestic league for another shot at CHL next year.

The fans who traveled didn't stop supporting all night long and as noisy as any set of fans I've ever seen us take away.

Some fans maybe have only seen us win regularly and this may be a tiny reality check.We may be the best/one of in our league but EIHL is a long way from marching these rosters but in time with the correct investment and recruiting we can try and bridge the gap.

Watching a game in that arena even with a heavy loss is a memory I will cherish forever.

I must admit that I expected the score line to be about 6-1. Some of those Davos shots from the blue line were too much!!

Different budgets, different systems and a different style of play! Made for interesting viewing though. Can't wait to see the Davos game at IAW next week now.

Really puts things into perspective in terms of where we are in comparison with the other top teams in Europe - i.e. Nowhere near!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast

A few things I think contributed to the big scoreline
Davos ability to screen the goalie was amazing and our D men couldnt seem to move them
Davos' speed meant we could not put to many men deep so couldn't screen their goalie
The refs call absolutely everything
Bownsy is not to blame but when in his best form I think the scoreline would have been a lot lower
Think the altitude was a factor
The Devils were not at their best. I think the early PPG knocked their confidence

I thought in the third period the Devils competed well and although would have still lost the score would have been more respectable.
Some positives though. I thought Benti played well and Faryna was a dynamo.
All in all a disappointing night but against opposition this good in those conditions it is hard to criticise the team. I still think we will do well in the EIHL though Nottingham will give us a run for our money.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

The reality is Lordo has some serious coaching to do. That comment is not in relation to the scoreline but the nature of tactics used against the Devils. It took Devils along time last year to solve Panthers who used a very high speed neutral zone rush to break through Devils defensive set up. That culminated in the 8-0 loss at home. Davos used exactly the same tactic and went through like a knife through butter. The Devils neutral zone defence is to static and doesn't get enough pressure to the puck carrier if they are properly motoring. Unfortunately the Devils offence is also not fast enough on the rush and uses to much neutral zone interplay to penetrate the blue line. Again Davos speed just allowed high intensity puck pressure all over the ice and destroyed Devils ambition of getting any puck possession low in the offensive zone.

This is not me saying Devils are a bad team or Lordo a coach by any means just that holes in the Devils game have been very publicly exposed again. However this time it took an exceptional hockey team in Davos to do it. It means Lordo will know he needs to find tactics to bring more pace into both the offensive and defensive sides of the game especially in the neutral zone where Devils do have a weakness. It's an experience to be used to you're benefit and a huge learning curve.

That said unfortunately hockey is a sport that with any disparity namely in skating speed and you are toast. A team gets 44 shots on goal and with the calibre of shooting those Davos D men you simply have to applaud Davos for how good they were. It wouldn't be a shock for them to go deep in the competition with that display. Credit to them. Hugely impressive hockey. Getting humbled by HC Davos is nothing to be sniffed at.

I now know why teams prefer fast skillfull European hockey than the old rough and tumble american style..

Definately prefer to watch davos style than ours lol...

James

Administrator
Thread starter #49
I was travelling cross country so the wife was giving me updates. I said before the game I'd count a loss by less than double figures a win. Just about made it [emoji23]

osh

Prior to this game ( and Saturday's ) I, like others was hoping for a minor miracle and expecting a least a 5 goal difference loss. However, we must look at the wider picture, the standard of league we play in, is way below the standard to the teams we will meet in this CHL competition, we are are miles apart, almost like saying Newport County being drawn against Real Madrid as a comparison. What will we take from the game ? Mooney#16 has covered most tactical aspects, and speed in any sport will always be a huge advantage, just like last night. Let's not forget that despite some of our players having played AHL standard, most of the better leagues in Europe play to a much higher skill standard than AHL and therefore we cannot expect to get anywhere near these teams, especially after the team being together for around 3 weeks only.
Very proud that we made it to this competition, very proud of all those fans who didn't stop cheering the guys on last night in Davos, and very proud that the players gave it their all. Can see an improvement at home as I'm sure Lord will have to come up with a tactic to frustrate such teams and of course ensure we don't take half as many penalties as we did last night, not easy I know, but I think we will give a much better showing at home.

august04

I don't think anyone in their right mind really expected to get anything out of these games but 10-1 is a bit of a hammering with a deep squad of seasoned pros, with plenty of experience of better leagues than the EIHL. I was expecting more like the Panthers score in truth, perhaps slightly worse but not a 9 goal deficit. Too many penalties and we needed Bowns to have a blinder. I'm sure Lord won't settle for that kind of score line in this competition, no matter who we're playing and we'll see an improvement. I just hope he plays, madness not to have him in the line up.

voth26

Hope you guys aren't too disheartened after tonight's result. The Swiss are a whole different animal compared to even the likes of the DEL.

Most Swiss clubs are exceptionally rich, their development systems are superb, they wouldn't even need to ice any 'foreign' players to be able to hit EIHL teams out of town. Davos have had 5 Pre-Season games before tonight, each against a KHL side. They won 1 but all were really close scores.

Whilst Panthers faired a bit better on the scoreboard, I'd be quite confident in saying that Bern didn't play out of 1st gear for most of the match, not tiring players out and giving young guys more ice time, whilst Davos appeared to go for the confidence boosting cricket score. I have no doubts that if Bern had of really went for it tonight against Panthers, it'd be a similar story to you guys. Penalties are absolutely killer in the CHL, every team we face is relentless in the PP efforts. One mistake and bang, it's in the back of the net before the players can figure out how they need to go into desperation mode and dump the puck asap.

Swiss teams are fitter too, they're playing at a very high level against other very high level teams. If players don't work hard, they won't make it in the NLA. Just like in the NHL, they tend to always battle very hard for the puck. Passing is pinpoint and smooth, their thought process is just a whole lot more fine tuned than anyone in the EIHL's ever has been.

One big positive to take is the attention your fans have gotten in Davos, the CHL love them. Appeared to be chanting from start to finish and whilst the opposition fans may totally dismiss the team, they'll remember how good the fans were and it will probably spur a few to take the trip over to IAW. Like even though Panthers got shafted by Hamburg in the away tie, both sets of fans made a brilliant connection which still lasts to this day, and hopefully you guys can form something similar with another European team. It boosts the profile of the club and makes the whole experience even better. You guys didn't get shutout either!

Devils will head to Liberec wanting to get a result which makes tonight's result a thing long forgotten. Tonight's result shouldn't warrant too much disappointment or slating of players/coaching too, no EIHL team will ever be able to compete with an NLA team, ever. It's far from the end of the world, if anything it may even help the team grow.

Best of luck against Liberec, hopefully it's a more positive result but don't dwell on tonight's result!
What a great post by a PANTHERS fan about OUR team, pity we Devils fans couldn't look at our team with the same thoughts!!

voth26

I don't think anyone in their right mind really expected to get anything out of these games but 10-1 is a bit of a hammering with a deep squad of seasoned pros, with plenty of experience of better leagues than the EIHL. I was expecting more like the Panthers score in truth, perhaps slightly worse but not a 9 goal deficit. Too many penalties and we needed Bowns to have a blinder. I'm sure Lord won't settle for that kind of score line in this competition, no matter who we're playing and we'll see an improvement. I just hope he plays, madness not to have him in the line up.
Think Lord was on the bench as Jamie didn't travel with the team??

Wagstaff

It just shows that ice hockey is so much bigger in Switzerland when you look at their roster, 3 imports 1 dual national and the rest were home grown talent.
If ever we are to compete on a level with these guys, something has to change in our structure to bring in the youngsters and to develop them properly. Hockey is a low funded, minority sport in Britain, and unfortunately I can't see that changing
You have an amazing setup with owners that have invested unselfishly in your team and I had high hopes for you, as you seem so stacked in our league, I really thought you might pull off a result, I still hope you do in the games to come.

osh

What a great post by a PANTHERS fan about OUR team, pity we Devils fans couldn't look at our team with the same thoughts!!
100% agree, however, what concerns me just a tad is the fact that whilst you criticise certain Devils fans ( why, I don't know, haven't found too many spouting rubbish about the game, complete opposite really ) you fail to make any sort of comment regarding the game, why is that ? And by the way, Wagstaff has always been a good and fair poster who gives unbiased comments and is certainly respected by me. Usually I agree with many of your own posts but have to make the above comment, sorry.

Ocko

I expected Davos to dominate but I don't think we did ourselves justice last night. We let the game run away from us and our system detail was way off.

We gave off so many 1/2 on 0s, and have in every game so far, with a few patterns forming we need to try and get rid of. A few of our D men need to improve their defensive detail, it's too aggressive. Players are jumping in to attack the puck carrier without any cover from a forward, the sort of play you expect with a right wing lock, but we're doing it without the extra player back. It just means the D man gets burned. Unless a forward has joined the defensive line we need to just push to the outside against teams of this quality. The gap between our D was huge and it was made too easy for Davos to skate through the middle.

We would never of won that game but playing smart would've at least made it more respectable. Panthers played smart against a much higher seeded team and had a fairly good result.

KaneDevils

Pretty hard to remain rational in such a defeat, but most have. Much easier to give a calm and collective summary as a neutral.
Quite shocked at the size of the defeat, and yes it's a little hard to swallow.

I didn't realize the Swiss were that good if I'm honest, ranked 7th in the world, only one place above the Germans who we beat (DEL team) recently 6.2, albeit in a friendly. Many players on the roster being German.

Guess it was just a very bad night. It will be interesting to see how we do in the return fixture.

Samael

It just shows that ice hockey is so much bigger in Switzerland when you look at their roster, 3 imports 1 dual national and the rest were home grown talent.
If ever we are to compete on a level with these guys, something has to change in our structure to bring in the youngsters and to develop them properly. Hockey is a low funded, minority sport in Britain, and unfortunately I can't see that changing
You have an amazing setup with owners that have invested unselfishly in your team and I had high hopes for you, as you seem so stacked in our league, I really thought you might pull off a result, I still hope you do in the games to come.
What's the nationality of the number one draft pick for the NHL this year, yep Swiss. Better funding, better grass roots development, better league. There was only ever going to be one result against Davos and as sad as it is to say I don't think any EIHL teams will be able to compete at that level for many many years because hockey is such a minority sport in the UK. I think EIHL teams even participating in the CHL is a waste of time and money for the clubs tbh.

voth26

100% agree, however, what concerns me just a tad is the fact that whilst you criticise certain Devils fans ( why, I don't know, haven't found too many spouting rubbish about the game, complete opposite really ) you fail to make any sort of comment regarding the game, why is that ? And by the way, Wagstaff has always been a good and fair poster who gives unbiased comments and is certainly respected by me. Usually I agree with many of your own posts but have to make the above comment, sorry.
Hi Osh, I have no problem with your post to me and like wise i generally agree with you but sometime we don't and generally we discuss the merits of the post, that's the beauty of this forum. I wasn't really criticizing Devils fans and as you say not much rubbish posted, perhaps my post could have been better worded my point was possibly there were Devils fans with maybe to high of an expectation?. I think there were positives the Devils and Lordo can and will take from the game but regarding the game my thoughts as i watched it, the two early pp obviously didn't help, if i'm honest i think the first was pretty innocuous and Jake was unlucky with the tripping pen as the Davos player had a turn of speed but full credit to Davos they took advantage!!. some of the calls made for me were run of the mill things in Eihl but as we know euro hockey is not renowned for being overly physical and as such the refs tend to be whistle happy on occasions!! overall the guys gave 100% and were starting to come into the game, if Pope had managed to tuck his away then who knows??. I think it was a Panthers fan who made the original post? but i agree Wagstaff always post with an unbiased view and i also tend to agree with his views/posts. Hopefully the guys have put Thursdays game behind them learn from the mistakes and stay out of the bin, then who knows