HC Davos v Devils - Thurs 24th Aug 2017 / 7.45

august04

7-0 end of 2nd. It was great to dream we could do something but it's turned into a nightmare. We've given up way too many penalties tonight but that happens when you're under so much pressure. Just being beaten by a team with far superior players sadly.

Epic coaching tactic by Lordo to break on the fly. Almost a goal. I must say and I don't mean it negative at all, but I always feel more confident these days with Murdy in goal. Sure there is still time for him to concede several but I just find he seems calmer.

All we need to do now is win every line change and score on the changes! Not much to ask lol

For those not watching, the commentators were saying that it takes a toll on players when they play at such a high altertude and it's difficult to breath towards the end, however, those used to it will not notice any difference.

They also said that when the players used to playing at a high altitude then switch to a lower one they can get more air into their lungs than normal players. So they can play longer shifts.

Could be interesting for home game.

And it's now 9-1. Haven't seen a score like this for many many years. We are better than this NO EXCUSES

For those not watching, the commentators were saying that it takes a toll on players when they play at such a high altertude and it's difficult to breath towards the end, however, those used to it will not notice any difference.

They also said that when the players used to playing at a high altitude then switch to a lower one they can get more air into their lungs than normal players. So they can play longer shifts.

Could be interesting for home game.

And it's now 9-1. Haven't seen a score like this for many many years. We are better than this NO EX

10 - 1.....

I believe that this will end up helping us in the long run. In all fairness DAVOS are exceptionally quick and very fast at closing us down. Their keeper has played his Glove off.

Hopefully!!!

august04

Next game v Liberec and certainly when we get back to domestic business, I really hope Andrew Lord ices every game when fit. I don't care who sits, but he shouldn't be. We're a poorer team without him on the ice.

Diafol

On a serious note, we aren't going to stand a chance against anyone if we keep taking as many penalties as we did this evening.
That definitely needs to improve.

RTfarty

A very harsh introduction to the CHL tonight. We could go on about Davos' budget and calibre of players but 10-1 is 10-1. Lord and the boys won't be happy with that at all, but a harsh lesson that will only benefit us in the long run this season.

Dust yourselves off boys and get ready to go again this weekend!

Really interesting thought on the altitude stuff by the way Celticdruid.. will be looking forward to the return fixture.

Yeah a little frightening if their lungs work better at a lower altitude. Can we play Bowns and Murdy in net at the same time for the home game maybe. lol

We will always struggle in the CHL. We sign a tough physical team that can compete in the Elite League, it's just not suitable for the way the game is reffed in other European leagues. 5 ON 5 we played well against a very good side.

Hope you guys aren't too disheartened after tonight's result. The Swiss are a whole different animal compared to even the likes of the DEL.

Most Swiss clubs are exceptionally rich, their development systems are superb, they wouldn't even need to ice any 'foreign' players to be able to hit EIHL teams out of town. Davos have had 5 Pre-Season games before tonight, each against a KHL side. They won 1 but all were really close scores.

Whilst Panthers faired a bit better on the scoreboard, I'd be quite confident in saying that Bern didn't play out of 1st gear for most of the match, not tiring players out and giving young guys more ice time, whilst Davos appeared to go for the confidence boosting cricket score. I have no doubts that if Bern had of really went for it tonight against Panthers, it'd be a similar story to you guys. Penalties are absolutely killer in the CHL, every team we face is relentless in the PP efforts. One mistake and bang, it's in the back of the net before the players can figure out how they need to go into desperation mode and dump the puck asap.

Swiss teams are fitter too, they're playing at a very high level against other very high level teams. If players don't work hard, they won't make it in the NLA. Just like in the NHL, they tend to always battle very hard for the puck. Passing is pinpoint and smooth, their thought process is just a whole lot more fine tuned than anyone in the EIHL's ever has been.

One big positive to take is the attention your fans have gotten in Davos, the CHL love them. Appeared to be chanting from start to finish and whilst the opposition fans may totally dismiss the team, they'll remember how good the fans were and it will probably spur a few to take the trip over to IAW. Like even though Panthers got shafted by Hamburg in the away tie, both sets of fans made a brilliant connection which still lasts to this day, and hopefully you guys can form something similar with another European team. It boosts the profile of the club and makes the whole experience even better. You guys didn't get shutout either!

Devils will head to Liberec wanting to get a result which makes tonight's result a thing long forgotten. Tonight's result shouldn't warrant too much disappointment or slating of players/coaching too, no EIHL team will ever be able to compete with an NLA team, ever. It's far from the end of the world, if anything it may even help the team grow.

Best of luck against Liberec, hopefully it's a more positive result but don't dwell on tonight's result!

ASHIPP

It was David vs Goliath in every sense of the word....but not the end of the world. Put into perspective, look at the Team rankings in this competition. Devils havn't been competing against top European teams in tournaments for a very very long time. The entire experience, that occassion, against that team in that place....overwhelming.

The Guys will learn from this and must not get down. A game still to play in Liberec. They can be proud they got on the scoreboard against Davos, proud they played with effort and energy however it panned out. Better to face a result like that early on - the only way is up!

They hopefully will try to manage fatigue levels and hopefully stay injury free. Those penalties would be a worry though - the repeated pk situations wear the players down and squeeze any chances to mount an attack.

Agree with a previous poster - the team is better tactically and motivationally when Lordo is playing - hell of a difficult job to play/coach/lead at the same time.

matbur

Harsh learning curve. Team need to reflect and evaluate after a defeat of this nature, then draw a line and condemn it to history and go again.

That was a hard watch and I'd hoped we could have kept it tighter but I was riveted.
HCD did to us what we try to do in our league but to the max and for a full 60.

Their power play is lethal and they know how to make the most of home advantage re ice size etc and creating an effective screen by having a player between # marks and not even by crease. I was disappointed with no of penalities given up as team knew what to expect.

I could not get over their speed it made us look a little pedestrian when I know we are not. It also meant we were constantly under pressure which meant rushed plays passes missed and penalities.

Bowns should not be disheartened but also great that we have 2 quality netminders.

My hope is that we are able to tighten up play wise but don't give opposition too much respect and not play our natural game.

For those players who are still looking to improve their game I think by the end of the CHL it will be clear that what level they should aspire to and it ain't EIHL

Come on Devils keep chins up and we remember we love you no matter what