Parking this weekend?

ASHIPP

An extract from Morrisons CSR report

"Society Taking good care of our shoppers, our colleagues and their communities. Work, neighbours, living"

How does the managers approach to IAW and local residents parking align with this? Does forcing people into, potentially, illegal parking align with taking care of neighbours?

They have a cost free opportunity to support not only their immediate community (residents) but also the wider community in S Wales and a bit beyond (Devils fans) A wise manager could also extract some PR from permitting parking
But they are not forcing us to park,potentially, illegally are they? It is our own responsibility to park our cars in the correct place! There are several alternatives in the area, although further away.
If the issue with Morrisson's has been because of some misuse by car owners then it's not suprising they have taken this decision. Good PR and to endorse that good relationship, would be to allow parking in an alloted part of the carpark only for this season...and no-one breaks the rules.

Pondlife

Thread starter #43
This really should have been included in the IAW & Devils' security update IMHO. There will be a lot of people completely unaware of Morrisons' new rules.

Does anyone know if the road towards the rafting/harvester has double yellows?

august04

This will cause a lot of problems for fans and ultimately the club, this season. Kelman mentioned that they're working on an official partnership for parking. While wi-fi, food etc are causing concern too, this parking problem has to be the number one priority to sort out immediately - or I'm sure it will impact on attendances.

If you just walk out of the Tesco's car park and cross the road you'll see a big white foot bridge that as mentioned then crosses the river just above the white water. You don't have to go back up to the main road and that actually is a non pedestrian route.
Thanks.
I've been to pick up my season ticket this morning and have done some parking research.

1. Tesco mentioned above has a three hour parking limit and has fines in place for those exceeding this.

2. Asda (behind Morrisons) also has a three hour parking limit with fines.

3. The Oyster Catcher pub across the road from Tesco has no parking restrictions and is very close to the foot bridge which brings you out by the White Water centre.

4. If you take the road to the left of Oyster Catcher (Marconi Drive I think), approx 30 yards along on the right hand side is a free car park with space for 67 cars. Again this is close to the foot bridge.

5. The Harvester near the rink has a three hour parking restriction with fines.

6. Global Reach offices which face International Drive (Global Reach, Dunleavy Dr, Cardiff CF11 0SN) has a large car park I could not see any signs with parking restrictions. This is a short walk to the rink along Dunleavy Drive and across to the rink or the other way along Watkiss Way passed the White Water centre.

Hope this information is helpful.

terry hunt

This is really annoying but fans appear to have caused this situation.It was clearly spelt when this concession was given by Morrisons that ice hockey fans should park in the area near the recycling bins away from the storefront.Sadly large numbers of Devils and visiting fans have abused this perk.
We will suffer for this change but what about visitors to the IAW i suspect we can say goodbye to the Cup Final being held at Cardiff.

davew

It is just a shame that Morrisons couldn't come up with a sensible alternative to a "blanket ban". Surely they could have come up with a charge for devils fans (or even just season ticket holders) of say £2 to enable people to use the car park - or free parking if you spend £10/15 etc.

From a legal perspective, does customary practice still exist, where you would be able to carry on doing something if you had been able to do it for many years?

After all The BBT opened in 2006, more or less at the same time as morrisons if my memory is working. They have had a long association with hockey fans packing their cafe before games when there was no other eatery around. They sponsored the devils by supplying hot food to the team for a few seasons. Many fans still have food or drinks in their cafe on match nights and even if only about 50 fans shopped there on game days spending £10 on average, that's £500 in the tills they otherwise would not have had (In a 26 week season it would equate to £13K). That is no small some.

Kal

This is really annoying but fans appear to have caused this situation.It was clearly spelt when this concession was given by Morrisons that ice hockey fans should park in the area near the recycling bins away from the storefront.Sadly large numbers of Devils and visiting fans have abused this perk.
We will suffer for this change but what about visitors to the IAW i suspect we can say goodbye to the Cup Final being held at Cardiff.
Cant blame fans entirely. There are probably people that were aware of the rules that decided not to abide by them but I'd wager that there were far more fans that didn't know anything about them. Pool users are also blamed and since the pool is open at the same time as Morrison's its likely they have had a bigger effect leading to this ban.

Asda's have never enforced the 3 hour rule but it does look like they've started to put in some upgrades recently so maybe it will be enforced in the future.

Jonesy83

Can't blame the fans entirely as many times last season, even Sunday games, especially on sold out games, I've have tried to park in Morrisons and getting a space was a nightmare, as I'd get there about 10 minutes before face off due to work. The entire car park would be rammed nevermind just the back by the bins.

Parking really needs to be sorted, all that ground around the rink just seems to be going to waste.

To have all of those facilities in one space and nowhere to park is completely ridiculous! I have to come in from Cwmbran now as I moved a few months ago, and if there is not parking, it will certainly put me off making the trip during winter months when the weather is terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not an issue for the IAW because match nights don't produce much revenue, in fact I'd be surprised if the IAW does not loose money. It's a very odd situation, Devils owners didn't buy the club to make money, Greenbank built the IAW with no intention of making money. Hopefully someone will wake up, we pay more for tickets, the Devils pay for the use of the IAW, they intern invest in improved facilities, parking etc etc and we can all then enjoy the night with the minimum of fuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bazza

Just been in morrisons. OK ito was 7.45 but could count shoppers on two hands.

Spoke to manager and he confirmed the parking cameras are operational and he hinted it's 2 hours not 3.

He said it's been in place a couple of months following overy 250 customer complaints about lack of spaces last year. Mainly Xmas but not just then.

Sunday games at 6pm would not lose them any customers but the Saturday 7pm ones are a problem and he said he can't have one rule one day and different the next day. I did suggest he compares last year's Saturday evening takings to the ones going forward.

Apartment residents now have to buy a pass for around £250 PA to park there which was another large number of cars.

As a Cardiff Pointe resident I know the other residents are pretty peed off when people park in the residents areas and have spoken to council so don't be surprised if more wardens this season.

Looks like no obvious solution. Unless have revolving number plates like James Bond....

dave

I wonder if there is a business case to ask the council for short term land rent of old site and tarmac it..Minimal charge on game night to cover the cost..

Jones72

What Nitrous Oxide canisters? Am I missing something? Apparently increased use on game nights?

Not detracting from the concerns of residents, but that seems a bit odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk