Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Ocko

A good signing.

I said it earlier on in the summer but to me it looks like Myers will be playing on an all British 4th line with Batch and Moore. I was told at the time that Myers wouldnt be a 4th line player and it would never happen. I can't see it any other way now. Our 3rd line is as good as some team's 1st.

I have the lines:
Pope Martin Benti
Asselin Ulmer Haddad
Lord/Mo Crowder Faryna
Batch Myers Moore

In reference to toughness. If I was a coach in this league the last thing I would be doing against the Devils would be to try and rough them up. I think the team talk could be quite simple for them "stay out of the box".

Finny

This looks like another amazing signing. Clearly a top 6 forward and likely to play 3rd/4th line for us. Crazy.

I'm probably missing the blindingly obvious... but u23's? I appreciate we will probably annou ce two ways but we surely can't have completed our roster without them... can we?
You don't 'need' to sign any u23 players. But the max number of non u23 players you can have on your game day roster is 19.
With Moore as an u23 that gives us a 20 man roster of 2 netminders, 3 lines of D and 4 lines of forwards. Any further u23 players would be spares an unlikely to get many shifts.

It wouldn't surprise me if we announced some 2-way contracts but I'd be surprised if they got much icetime unless we had serious injury or suspension problems.

ASHIPP

A good signing.

I said it earlier on in the summer but to me it looks like Myers will be playing on an all British 4th line with Batch and Moore. I was told at the time that Myers wouldnt be a 4th line player and it would never happen. I can't see it any other way now. Our 3rd line is as good as some team's 1st.

I have the lines:
Pope Martin Benti
Asselin Ulmer Haddad
Lord/Mo Crowder Faryna
Batch Myers Moore
Also heard something similar - that Matthew was going to be on the 3rd line with possible partners Lord and Faryna. An incredibly strong combination to play against, a line offering absolute toughness and great secondary scoring. I suppose recruitment throws up many options and it will be for Lord to work out the most effective combinations of players.

If Matthew, Josh and Craig form a British partnership, that is still one hell of a gritty, energy line who could feed off eachother.

osh

It certainly means we will see much more of a 4th line than we did last season. Although much was spoken of playing 4 lines last season, it never really happened much. This season, we now have a 4th line ( whoever plays on it ) than can do more than just offer brief rests to the other 3 lines, but will also be capable of providing more of a threat in our opponents D zone. It will be interesting to watch how many of our rivals actually ice 4 definite lines against us.

I don't know why everyone seems to be putting Mo on the 3rd/4th line.... does everyone forget how good he was before he got injured last season?! If he's fit, he could easily be a top 6!

To have players like Lord/Mo faryna and Crowder on a third line is insane! Lordo was saying in his interview that he aimed to get two lines firing last season - looks to be aiming for three this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bb1

Sorry I've been on holidays but you said "A.Hotham is probably our poorest defensive Dman ." Really ?? He's the first out to PK, plays the last minute of each period including the 3rd period when it's a close game and plays 30 minutes or more a game. You don't do those things if you're a poor defensive Dman. Because he's prone to giveaways, mainly because he has the puck on his stick more often than any player on the Devils or possibly the league, many people think he's not good defensively which is I believe is 100% wrong.
Secondly, if you asked him to be strickly defensive, he would be the best at that but he's there for what he provides on the offensive side of the puck and sometimes you have to put up with some defensive mistakes. But the other 5 defence from last year made many mistakes and if you don't understand the position you may not see the mistakes. Point is, A.Hotham is not our poorest defensive D man. That group of 6 last year were the best 6 d man corp in the league and I assume that they will again this year but we will be able to answer that in 7 months
You should have stayed on holiday ;)

In all seriousness I was never ever saying he was bad. All I was saying is that he is by far our best offensive D man and best in league but our other guys were more reliable by not turning over puck etc....Yes I understand he will make more mistakes being on the ice more but that's irrelevant.

Anyway aside from all this we are lucky to have him and many of the others back. What a season we are in for!

Ocko

I get outsiders point though.

The turnovers that Hotham gets chastised over (and there aren't even that many, let alone that cost a goal) aren't part of his defensive game - his defensive game is how he sets up in our own zone, his stick details, interceptions, aggression to the puck carrier and physical game. All of which he was excellent at and up there with the best on the team. The snub his defensive game gets is often very unfair.

trapped

You don't 'need' to sign any u23 players. But the max number of non u23 players you can have on your game day roster is 19.
With Moore as an u23 that gives us a 20 man roster of 2 netminders, 3 lines of D and 4 lines of forwards. Any further u23 players would be spares an unlikely to get many shifts.

It wouldn't surprise me if we announced some 2-way contracts but I'd be surprised if they got much icetime unless we had serious injury or suspension problems.
My misunderstanding.. I had understood there was a requirement for 3 in the team on a matchnight. I hadn't read that it was 19 plus UP TO 3 u23 brits.

I wholeheartedly agree though, I don't expect anything other than two ways (when needed) and for limited shifts.

ASHIPP

I don't know why everyone seems to be putting Mo on the 3rd/4th line.... does everyone forget how good he was before he got injured last season?! If he's fit, he could easily be a top 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless Morisette has a stellar comeback, it will be suprise to see him on the top two lines next season. Doubt Lordo would want to meddle with the partnerships/chemistry of those players.

Infact it was really only after Lordo himself went on that first line to provide space and protection, that Martin and Bentivoglio could really start doing some damage. Those primary scoring lines need a big, aggressive body on there - Haddad and Pope will provide that in spade loads.
Mo played on top two lines early last season, as did Doucet (and later, Kearney).
The connection between players on those lines was really at its best from January onwards.
Can Morisette cope with the speed and intensity of top 6 after a serious injury?

Last edited:

bdevil

This season will be better than last!! Josh as a Power Forward will be brilliant!!!!
This is one thing I'm so excited to see. He showed some touches of pure skill last season. Those 2 solo goals he scored were class! With more license to shows this skills as a forward I think he could have his best season in a Devils jersey.

Wannabe2

Well put it this way, our Coach won 3 trophies last year, and came within a whisker of making it 4, so who am I to contest his moves. Would I like to see a beast at ours, that everyone feared then if he could also play then yes. But if we steamroller the other lot with pure skill and talent then that's what everyone will remember. One thing is for sure, we ain't a team of pussies and we can look after each other. Fights put bums on seats, but winning puts much more, people come out of the woodwork to watch a winning team, that's fact.