Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Ocko

I have a theory...

I reckon Hotham has been signed for weeks, or maybe longer.

Look at the reaction today on social media...and the build up to this signing. So much positive press for the club.

I just can't see how Lord/Kelman/King could risk negotiations going on this long. They'd have been too exposed if Hotham went elsewhere this close to the start of the season.

I even think they leaked some DEL rumours to people like Simms to build tension, get other clubs feeling good and have the fans talking.

Then, when the league MVP re-signs, look at all of the positive buzz amongst the fans. Other teams will be disappointed that he's staying in Cardiff too.

If I'm right, I bet they've had a right laugh reading all of our 'will he, won't he?' comments on here!
Hotham has been signed for months.

He'd never of gone back to the DEL anyway. He hated all the extra training, mandated gym stuff and lifestyle.

kingmo19.1

Hotham was signed ages ago.

Text book marketing by the Devils to drive ticket sales - always announce a big name first (Martin) then always announce a big name just prior to the season starting (Hotham).

Why do they do this? Simple - creates interest and drives up ticket sales.

They'll do the same next season, and the season after and the season after ......

Slartibartfast

Hotham was signed ages ago.

Text book marketing by the Devils to drive ticket sales - always announce a big name first (Martin) then always announce a big name just prior to the season starting (Hotham).

Why do they do this? Simple - creates interest and drives up ticket sales.

They'll do the same next season, and the season after and the season after ......
The other possibility is that as Lord said Hotham holds out to the last minute every season. I guess that the reason he does that is to get the best possible offer. What player of his calibre wouldn't.
If it was all just a marketing game then it means Lord told a fib in his interview. I think he is a very straight honest guy so personally I dont think that is the case.

Ocko

The other possibility is that as Lord said Hotham holds out to the last minute every season. I guess that the reason he does that is to get the best possible offer. What player of his calibre wouldn't.
If it was all just a marketing game then it means Lord told a fib in his interview. I think he is a very straight honest guy so personally I dont think that is the case.
100% a fib, sponsors had renewed their sponsorships on players last season for returning players. If you believe a Lord interview on signings you'll believe anything.

Remember the last update when they said they didn't have anymore players signed... despite Josh Batch and Mo being on multi year deals.

Kal

The Lord interview about the Hotham signing was made at the exact same time as the interview where he says he doesn't know whats happening. Both John and Lord are wearing the same clothes in the same rooms with the same lighting. There may have been some early back and forth between them but Hotham was signed at least a week or two before the announcement probably alot more.

It's a bit precious to say that Lord was lying to the fans. It's all part of the PR aspect of running a sports team, surely? As valuable as Hotham is to the Devils, they would surely set signing deadlines for current players to make sure they weren't left high and dry at the start of the season.

ASHIPP

Still havent heard anything back from Asselin. If we sign him back then there is still 1 import slot left to fill I think.
The latest WalesonLine article about Hotham's return refers to the Club still needing to add 'one more high end forward' with news coming next week.
After that, I suppose, it's whether they feel they need to carry an extra import on top of that to rotate, especially with a congested start to the season.

On the U23 front, I wonder whether we will see the confirmation of one or two other U23's on two-ways to the Club who might be attached to the Fire. Tamas Elias has just been re-signed there. Although Hungarian born, he counts as British trained. A real dynamo of a player for development at 21. Sam Bryant also, despite his small stature, is a hungry young player. Both have come through the Cardiff junior system.

Last edited:

SteveKing

Just to clarify on the "when was he signed/is Lordo fibbing" topic, there are some missing facts here. Hotham indeed did come to terms with us months ago but it was subject to certain conditions regarding his girlfriend and her employment status/visa. Those conditions were not firmed up until just this week and Hoth notified us that he was coming for sure. So those that say he was signed for ages are partially correct but for the longest time it looked like there was a real chance he wasn't coming back and would stay in Canada. I didn't want anyone thinking that Lordo fibs!

Either way, huge relief that Hoth is back. Every other coach in our league tells us that Hoth is the dominant player in this league. His puck skills are elite and I felt that he cut down on his turnovers dramatically last year for someone that has the puck on his stick so much.

BostonBart22

Just to clarify on the "when was he signed/is Lordo fibbing" topic, there are some missing facts here. Hotham indeed did come to terms with us months ago but it was subject to certain conditions regarding his girlfriend and her employment status/visa. Those conditions were not firmed up until just this week and Hoth notified us that he was coming for sure. So those that say he was signed for ages are partially correct but for the longest time it looked like there was a real chance he wasn't coming back and would stay in Canada. I didn't want anyone thinking that Lordo fibs!

Either way, huge relief that Hoth is back. Every other coach in our league tells us that Hoth is the dominant player in this league. His puck skills are elite and I felt that he cut down on his turnovers dramatically last year for someone that has the puck on his stick so much.
Well said steve, couldnt care a toss when hotham or any other player signed , he may have signed after the playoffs, who cares , we got the best D man in our league by far, just cant please certain fans can we.

Wannabe2

Please Please Asselin next, certainly hope so. Then to me there's two words GOODNIGHT VIENNA. So pumped to get the season started it's going to be one blast. It's been far to long without our fix, but it all begins again soon, thank goodness. The Pilgrimage starts in a few weeks, the Wailing Walls in block 1-20 will be getting in good voice, can't help feeling sorry for the other pretenders, but that's life.

Slartibartfast

That explains the sleepless night comments from Lordo. Please forgive the cynicism of some Steve. The fans have been fed a lot of BS over the years by previous owners so are often looking for a conspiracy theory that isn't there.

So if lm getting this right, Hotham would not have signed had the employment status/visa of his girlfriend been rejected/refused and stayed in Canada. He was willing to give up his playing career for her. She must be getting a ring sometime soon then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never doubted Lordo & never will. In Lordo we trust!