Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

bb1

I think Reddick will be a great Devil and what's more important than our opinions is that our coach Lordo thinks that. So let's just all agree to disagree and get behind him, Lordo and the team for the upcoming season!

ASHIPP

I think that Andrew Lord probably has loads of players on his radar. Most wo t get signed be it due to them not wanting to come to Cardiff or vice versa, family commitments, better offers, references not checking out etc. New guy would have been on the radar but not ahead of some players he probably wanted but for various reasons didnt sign. I remember lord saying he had been talking to Denny Kearney for 2 years then when he signed he didnt play much and was then released. Why? I have no idea but its an example of a player being on the radar. Obviously this is only my opinion, I dont have any inside info or anything
Would think much of this is the reality. All coaches will probably have a list of targets they have either been following for a couple of years, or are recommended to them and then they do their homework/ chase references etc. Sometimes they might be lucky and one of the first offers is accepted.
But a lot of the time other factors affect which targeted players join the team...plus the challenge of persuading players to undertake MBA places. And players who were believed to be staying leave due to unexpected change in circumstances.
The completed roster might not be the initial one the Club envisaged 4 months ago, but it will certainly contain players the Club feel will perform well in those roles.

ASHIPP

And breathe!........wrong to say that a player is indispensable. But Andrew Hotham and Joey Martin are right up there such is their influence on this team and has been for the last 3 years. A gifted, multifaceted defenceman. It's fantastic work by the Club again to keep hold of a player who will have, no doubt, received many offers this offseason.

Excellent work by the club retaining Andrew Hotham's services again next season . He is a talented defenceman who contributes on both ends of the ice and is prepared to drop the gloves if necessary !
Welcome home Andrew!

osh

Good to have Hotham back, no doubt he would have received decent offers elsewhere but the draw of the city of Cardiff and how comfortable he is here with good team mates etc has swung it in our favour.

Wannabe2

When Simmsy said one of our players were going to the DEL, he meant the DELL IN FAIRWATER GREEN, BY THE SKI SLOPE, he never gets anything right.

With Hotham on the back end, we have no doubt the best defensive corps in the league, We have the best British goaltender in net, and a pretty formidable forward line-up. My only concern, is that while we have a highly talented forward lineup (even without Asselin re-signed) we aren't exactly a thick set. Outside of Batch (Who I presume is playing forward this year), Lordo (who I would imagine would be looking to play fewer games again) and Haddad there isn't a great deal of size with willingness to get dirty.

Don't get my wrong, I expect Faryna, Moore and Myers to get their hands dirty in the corners. But it does leave me a little worried. The code is there and I don't expect hooligans to be running around on the ice targetting people, but for all that Bordy didn't do, he certainly hit people, and they felt it! I worry that we might be one heavy hitter light on our lineup. We don't need an enforcer so to speak, but rather a mucker with the power to hurt.

Regardless It's going to be a damn good season boys and girls.

Devil94

I think you're underestimating Faryna there. He is the toughest we've got I reckon. I think because he has put up good numbers last two years, we forget the toughness he also brings.

I have a theory...

I reckon Hotham has been signed for weeks, or maybe longer.

Look at the reaction today on social media...and the build up to this signing. So much positive press for the club.

I just can't see how Lord/Kelman/King could risk negotiations going on this long. They'd have been too exposed if Hotham went elsewhere this close to the start of the season.

I even think they leaked some DEL rumours to people like Simms to build tension, get other clubs feeling good and have the fans talking.

Then, when the league MVP re-signs, look at all of the positive buzz amongst the fans. Other teams will be disappointed that he's staying in Cardiff too.

If I'm right, I bet they've had a right laugh reading all of our 'will he, won't he?' comments on here!