2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

ASHIPP

I actually read it opposite to that, we won't be getting an out and out tough guy but possibly someone who can weigh in with some physicality and step up if needed, similar to what we've already got.
Also read it the same way. We already have that combination of skill and aggression in spadeloads throughout the team. The toughness just needs to be used a lot more when neccessary to send a message - SK is virtually saying that.

Rosehill and Fitzgerald are not to be feared - their behaviour just needs to be nullified before it develops.

Wagstaff

Rosehill is a game changer, unfortunately he also does stupid things, I had to admire how he played so many minutes against us, at such a high physical tempo and with skill, then took a stupidly needless major at the end of the game that cost Clan the game.

Interesting to hear Steve say that Bordeleau "wasn't willing" to play the NHL fighting role.

All credit to Steve who comes onto your forum and talks openly with the fans. I have a lot of respect and admiration for your organisation and you are all very lucky to be in the situation you are.

Bordy Gate, a strange and disappointing situation to observe. My thought was that Bordy was completely out of his depth in our little league, he had few skills, was a complete waste, whilst his reputation without doubt had some influence on opposition players, the reality was he had nothing to offer, he didn't do anything to enforce that reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bordy Gate, a strange and disappointing situation to observe. My thought was that Bordy was completely out of his depth in our little league, he had few skills, was a complete waste, whilst his reputation without doubt had some influence on opposition players, the reality was he had nothing to offer, he didn't do anything to enforce that reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think he came over wanting to actually play a bit but he wasnt really good enough. His hits were brilliant and 1 game against Coventry he turned the game around. The fighting side of him baffled me, an uncinvincing win against klotz and a fight against keefe who is a foot shorter and passed his best. He clearly tried getting Fitzgerald to fight but after xmas showed little appetite for dropping gloves. He lost a lot of respect by letting armstrong get away with running bowns and i remember towards the end of the season that Nickerson cross checked Haddad to the back of the head right in front of Bordeleau who did nothing. On the otherside of the coin, Nickerson was petrified of him and only decided to act up when Bordeleau was suspended and Louis gave him his beating instead

jimmy snels

Very interesting comments from mr king. Open and honest and clarified a few things in my mind from last year. I 100% agree with steve in that there were some things that went totally unanswered which left people all around me frustrated and baffled. I as well prefer physical hockey and still think we need a big power forward still just one more willing than last year.
I still feel lords first year in charge was the most entertaining team I've watched especially before xmas that year. The winning of those trophies last year was amazing and i wouldnt change it but at times it wasnt the most entertaining product I've seen. I look forward to being told im wrong

Wagstaff

I think he came over wanting to actually play a bit but he wasnt really good enough. His hits were brilliant and 1 game against Coventry he turned the game around. The fighting side of him baffled me, an uncinvincing win against klotz and a fight against keefe who is a foot shorter and passed his best. He clearly tried getting Fitzgerald to fight but after xmas showed little appetite for dropping gloves. He lost a lot of respect by letting armstrong get away with running bowns and i remember towards the end of the season that Nickerson cross checked Haddad to the back of the head right in front of Bordeleau who did nothing. On the otherside of the coin, Nickerson was petrified of him and only decided to act up when Bordeleau was suspended and Louis gave him his beating instead
I think that was the game where he came on and hit Jorgensen twice leaving him crumpled in the corner, I love to see a big decent hit but somehow Bordeleau's were unnecessarily hard verging on dangerous, surely a hit is to prevent play not take someone out of the game.
But then I support the opposition
I also loved to see Mike Egener almost put players through the Blaze entrance doors, so I've just killed my own argument!

bb1

Going back to Bordy.....

He actually provided without doubt some of the best hits we have seen in a long time. Just ask Noble and Franzen and a few others. Every shift he came out and threw hits and in fairness our 4th line of him, Brine and Piggott did exceptionally well.

I agree with Steve that he obviously wasn't willing to fight like he did in NHL. However regardless of a few incidents not many took liberties until end of season where Bowns was targeted.

Those incidents that Steve may have been referring to that were not 'dealt with' well all I can say is that there are a few others on the team that should have stepped up and dealt with them. If I were Louis, Batchy or more to the point Lord and saw our 'enforcer' did not do his job after Bownsy had been ran then I think they should have stepped up. Obviously a good enforcer wouldn't lead to our top players having to fight.

I'm not knocking Lord (best coach in league by a country mile imo) but I feel sometimes he stops players reacting. Bordys protest after not being allowed off bench showed a glimpse of this.

The point is team toughness is great but not when you get a key players risking hand injuries and sitting in the bin. Im not saying it should be the way to go but it's just my take. The tough guy role is still relevant in a league like ours with the players and officiating it has.

Last edited:
Let's hope Lordo's letter on twitter isn't referring to Hotham when he mentions some of last years players moving onto bigger and better things. I'd just like to know what's happening with Hotham and Asselin now, either way
I took that as a reference to Culligan. The way it's worded he refers to players (plural) moving to other teams, retiring or moving on to bigger and better things...one statement covering all those players that for various reasons won't be returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

The deterrent that everyone thinks Bordeleau brought was gone by Christmas, once everyone had realised he wouldn't actually fight anyone as his heart wasn't in it, it was known that his gloves were glued on. It's no coincidence that Bowns and Murdy were both run a number of times towards the end of the season. I also don't buy that it should've been other players stepping up. Two of the major incidents with Bowns being bumped Bordy was on the ice and did nothing. It shouldn't be down to someone else, Bordy took a salary bigger than anyone else on the team and his playing ability was one of the worst. He needed to earn his money and he didn't.

His hits were great, but again it took us to be behind in a game and probably a bollocking from Lord to get him going. There was little consistency. I think his reputation and pedigree still have a number of people fooled.

I have to agree with Steve in him saying with Bordeleau on the team other players took a back seat. Batch being the perfect example for me. I think him being a 4th line forward could be our go to guy, he is young and have to say quite a unit of a bloke. Talking of hits the best of the season has to be mr. Scott Hotham on Rosehill took liberties with his brother and in he stepped, which goes to show as long as you care for your team mates you will step up. Bordy in the end for me didnt seem to care enough

zoesdevil

I have to agree with Steve in him saying with Bordeleau on the team other players took a back seat. Batch being the perfect example for me. I think him being a 4th line forward could be our go to guy, he is young and have to say quite a unit of a bloke. Talking of hits the best of the season has to be mr. Scott Hotham on Rosehill took liberties with his brother and in he stepped, which goes to show as long as you care for your team mates you will step up. Bordy in the end for me didnt seem to care enough
He was looking a bigger unit in the photo he posted on Twitter a few weeks back with his partner, looks like he's been bulking up ready for the power forward role!

Koop11

Bordy for me did the job of being a policeman very well. He was a deterrent. Nobody came in our rink and took the pish. We had very few injuries compared to other teams. His presence, along with team toughness and the luxury of 4 lines helped us stay healthy and allowed us to go on to so much success.

Did Bordy’s apparent wage warrant the output? Arguably not. Did his huge presence police our game so well that there was no need for fights and consequently there weren’t many last season? Yes, I believe so. Is that what we want going forward? Open for debate.

I personally would like to see a ‘tough guy’ come in this season (every season!) but I do see the logic in not having one. Its high risk as we have some of the best players in the league on our squad who could become open to target practice. However, it could mean another high end forward coming in and with the CHL we are going to need all the fire power we can get. Watch this space I guess…

A high end forward would surely be one of those "open to target practice"? For me toughness and intimidation is a must, opposition players must have doubt put in their minds and be held accountable as to the consequences of taking target practice with our skilled players, imo our current squad doesn't contain that player as of yet.

Have Hope#35

A high end forward would surely be one of those "open to target practice"? For me toughness and intimidation is a must, opposition players must have doubt put in their minds and be held accountable as to the consequences of taking target practice with our skilled players, imo our current squad doesn't contain that player as of yet.
I think by high end forward you'd be referring to someone who can do both... A player who is more than capable of looking after the team but that could put up say 20pts! There are players out there who 'could' live up to that role:
An experienced player like Bootland: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10999
Or maybe someone younger like #15 Perrier: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37929
There are a number of un-signed players out there with similar resumes, I'd like to see someone in this mould!

Last edited: