Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

bb1

OUTSIDER
Yes there were some clips of him that showed him defensively. Just out of interest have you watched them yet?
I mean as far as offensive D men get there aren't many better than A Hotham but he is probably our poorest defensive D man. Scott Hotham was superb but I didn't see a lot of his booming shot from the point which was ment to have been a big strength of his. Reddick will shoot quickly at every opportunity which is what we lacked in many games as we tried to walk it in pretty.

I am just basing on what I've seen and heard about Reddick and I'm sure we will all be pleasantly surprised. Lordo rarely gets it wrong.

zoesdevil

Just curious, did you see any of Reddick's lowlights to get a better opinion on Reddick or just his highlights ? Was there any defensive highlights ? Video packages can be deceiving and once we get into the season and get a 'live' look at him will you be able to get a more accurate opinion and maybe at that point you might be able to say he's an upgrade on S.Hotham, but until then i'm not admitting anything. I hope that he is an upgrade because that's what teams try to do each year at every position but I will wait until he goes around the league once of twice before I say he's an upgrade.
The thing is, Reddick might be a replacement for Batch as he is more than likely playing forward this season & in that case, is an upgrade & Paris is Scott Hothams replacement & again is a pretty good replacement for Scott.

Wannabe2

At the end of the day, we have a coach who nearly won every trophy on offer last year, and a Coach that every other team in our league would want, saying Cardiff fans are going to love watching this guy play, now that's a pretty confident statement by our gaffer, he is well pleased with our latest signing, what's the snag, I don't get it myself.

ASHIPP

Does anyone know have we used up all the MBA deals this year we normally get 3 places don't we? Got a bad feeling we won't see asselin back unfortunately really do hope I'm wrong!
Isn't it 3 places? Drew Paris is doing an MBA. Isn't Matt Pope? That would leave one place to take up.

d20

I think Reddick is going to surprise a lot of people ,looks a good D man to me and will be very good a a 3rd line D,Like Wannabe2 says when does Lord get it wrong on bringing players in he is so methodical on these things with the players our club right now is probably being run the best it has ever been in our 30 year history and long may it continue.

KaneDevils

And you accuse me of being rude ? Not sure what's really bothering you, have a pop at my post by all means, but quantify what you mean. Anyway, lets just get on with the topic eh you're becoming a wee bit obsessed.
An ex mod once told me about you and your posting style. He was right. I can't make my points any clearer. EDITED You just don't come across as being very friendly.
KaneDevils, if you have a problem with posts please use the report function rather than insulting the user or backseat modding. You have been reminded of this before.
@Gazza272

As has been said mate, try not to focus much on the +/- stat. Doesn't mean much and is often misleading.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaneDevils

An ex mod once told me about you and your posting style. He was right. I can't make my points any clearer. EDITED You just don't come across as being very friendly.
KaneDevils, if you have a problem with posts please use the report function rather than insulting the user or backseat modding. You have been reminded of this before.
@Gazza272

As has been said mate, try not to focus much on the +/- stat. Doesn't mean much and is often misleading.
Fair enough. Was simply trying to defend a fellow poster. Apologies.

Suggestion to the Mods:
Confirmed signings and departures this thread
Insults to an insults thread where they can fight (or preferably DM)

I'm not a new poster, (had to re-register) but sick of reading the insults on this thread, we should be welcoming the new players and judge them on performance once the season has started at least.

I am not convinced that the new guy would have been a first choice new player for Lord 12 months back and he doesnt look to have the pedigree of sime of last seasons D but you need to take into account the strength of the pound (or lack of) means we have had to adjust our budget a bit. You cut your cloth accordingly. I would imagine we will get a solid and consistent player who will be popular due to his effort and you cant ask much more than that. He isnt a Hotham but he is certainly good enough (it appears) to warrant a spot in our team

Wannabe2

I am not convinced that the new guy would have been a first choice new player for Lord 12 months back and he doesnt look to have the pedigree of sime of last seasons D but you need to take into account the strength of the pound (or lack of) means we have had to adjust our budget a bit. You cut your cloth accordingly. I would imagine we will get a solid and consistent player who will be popular due to his effort and you cant ask much more than that. He isnt a Hotham but he is certainly good enough (it appears) to warrant a spot in our team
With all due respect I think our coach holds this guy in higher esteem than that, Lordo knows exactly what is needed to succeed in this league, he leaves no leaf unturned. Andrew is a born winner, he shows it in his play, and in his coaching, he also knows he is only as good as his last result. If you get signed by him, you are the right man for the job, you only have to look at last seasons results to appreciate that. Let's do this.

With all due respect I think our coach holds this guy in higher esteem than that, Lordo knows exactly what is needed to succeed in this league, he leaves no leaf unturned. Andrew is a born winner, he shows it in his play, and in his coaching, he also knows he is only as good as his last result. If you get signed by him, you are the right man for the job, you only have to look at last seasons results to appreciate that. Let's do this.
I think that Andrew Lord probably has loads of players on his radar. Most wo t get signed be it due to them not wanting to come to Cardiff or vice versa, family commitments, better offers, references not checking out etc. New guy would have been on the radar but not ahead of some players he probably wanted but for various reasons didnt sign. I remember lord saying he had been talking to Denny Kearney for 2 years then when he signed he didnt play much and was then released. Why? I have no idea but its an example of a player being on the radar. Obviously this is only my opinion, I dont have any inside info or anything