Large arena banner/flag

I think this is a good idea, but may if I throw my 2p worth in:

Don't get it with Lordo on it or any person in particular - otherwise when they inevitably move on (not for many years hopefully, but this is professional sports and everyone moves on eventually) - we are left with an obsolete banner and have to go round this loop again. If you make it more of a generic Devils one then we can keep it and use it for many years

Koop11

I'm game for supporting this idea but think we should get the club’s (and IAW?) views first before raising money. I don't see there being a problem but better safe than sorry. Obviously this would have to be something passed around prior to the game starting and put away when the puck is dropped. Nice idea. Think it could really add to the already improving atmosphere in the arena.

What would be on the banner? I like the design of the ‘In Lord we Trust’ and indeed the message but dare I say, should Lord at any point in his Devils career come into hard times with performances/results, there are always fickle fans who may lose faith in the current coaching set up and may not be happy passing the flag around. A united front is always the preferred option. Perhaps something more Devils generic that focusses on the club/logo.

Koop11

Don't get it with Lordo on it or any person in particular - otherwise when they inevitably move on (not for many years hopefully, but this is professional sports and everyone moves on eventually) - we are left with an obsolete banner and have to go round this loop again. If you make it more of a generic Devils one then we can keep it and use it for many years
snap

Temme

I thought exactly the same however didn't want to post it as the new Steeltalk mentality the forum has adopted would have seen mass abuse.

I think a Devils logo, maybe a snap of the title winning shots this year, maybe something about Red Army, or a simple "We are The Cardiff Devils"

I am all for putting some money in but have to agree it should be generic to the Cardiff Devils. If Lord was to move on after this contract having a " In Lord We Trust" Gigantic Banner is going to look rather silly.

Thread starter #26
Fair comments, but this is just at the concept stage right now. I have already spoken to Steve King on this and he loves the idea. I do need to clear this with Todd and move forward with this through the correct channels. However a generic flag could work equally as well!

Pleximan

I do understand the view of going with a generic Devils design should Lordo move on in the future for when he decides to go back home, though I cant see that happening for a few years but hey anything can happen in sports as we all know.

But i do like Lordo's goalscoring image on the flag with In Lord We Trust.......it totally rocks!!!
I hope Lordo wants to stick around for a good few years yet and collect trophies here with more banners in the rafters and firmly establish the Cardiff Devils as the #1 hockey team in the UK, a club that the top player agents look to first. If Lordo can add more trophies, another league championship or 2 and playoffs and good performances in Europe then I would see no reason at all why #71 shouldn't be hoisted to the rafters. Jersey retirements are not and should not be awarded lightly, but for me Lordo is on the right track for this, just a bit more work to do yet though.

Back on topic, i can see the argument to go with just a generic Devils banner as it would never have to be changed but i do love the Lordo design so........................lets have both! First rule of Government spending.......why have 1 when you can have 2 at twice the price ;)

Leighton

great idea - i'm in.... not during gameplay though!!!!

wouldnt it be better as a kickstarter or something similar? if its justgiving does that mean folks donate regardless of whether the total is reached?

rocketbob

i can see the argument to go with just a generic Devils banner as it would never have to be changed but i do love the Lordo design so........................lets have both! First rule of Government spending.......why have 1 when you can have 2 at twice the price ;)
I am not sure if it is technically or economically feasible but is there a way of making it double sided? That way we can both honour Andrew Lord and the club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paul Sullivan

Love this idea. Might I chime in with a suggestion? Once you have your idea for a concept, I'd be happy, if Todd approves the banner, to speak to limegreentangerine to do the final design. They are the authors of the Devils brand and would be able to have it perfectly on point with the things we see on screen, in the programme, and online etc.

Give it that extra piece of authenticity.

Ocko

Just to jump in to defend the idea of having Lordo on it... he may move on or have bad periods, BUT, he is part of a very unique and select club of only 3 coaches to take us to a league title. Regardless of form, where he ends up eventually, he will go down as one of our best so I don't think it should he out of the question he is on it.

Liverpool have a flag of their successful coaches on the Kop, could be an idea to incorporate Lawless, Heavs And Lordo onto it. A Devils logo might seem a bit easy and corporate, having a coach and/or successful coaches with trophies is personal and more a fans thing IMO.

Just to keep that idea going a little, maybe we could have players that have served our club so well that they got their jerseys retired on there as well?

Or even further : a pattern of faces all along the outside edge of the flag, where contributers could nominate their devil of choice....

Thread starter #34
Just to jump in to defend the idea of having Lordo on it... he may move on or have bad periods, BUT, he is part of a very unique and select club of only 3 coaches to take us to a league title. Regardless of form, where he ends up eventually, he will go down as one of our best so I don't think it should he out of the question he is on it.

Liverpool have a flag of their successful coaches on the Kop, could be an idea to incorporate Lawless, Heavs And Lordo onto it. A Devils logo might seem a bit easy and corporate, having a coach and/or successful coaches with trophies is personal and more a fans thing IMO.
This was the concept from the beginning, to construct a theme and visual language that evokes history, passion and inevitably creating a cult status for its most loyal and enigmatic servants. My model was the Anfield Kop and the reverence given to that clubs celebrated ambassadors. Simple, but powerful visual statements that holds and stirs a fans passion. It is almost a religious visual enactment using simple silhouette icons.

Once it becomes a fussy collection of corporate statements, it becomes merely a placid dilution of what is the heart and soul of a hockey club; losing its potency and fan connection.

As for Lime Green Tangerine, with respect no thank you. I am a designer with 25 years experience and I hold a BAFTA for my work. I will talk with Steve and Todd but will continue to share with you all tirelessly.

august04

This was the concept from the beginning, to construct a theme and visual language that evokes history, passion and inevitably creating a cult status for its most loyal and enigmatic servants. My model was the Anfield Kop and the reverence given to that clubs celebrated ambassadors. Simple, but powerful visual statements that holds and stirs a fans passion. It is almost a religious visual enactment using simple silhouette icons.

Once it becomes a fussy collection of corporate statements, it becomes merely a placid dilution of what is the heart and soul of a hockey club; losing its potency and fan connection.

As for Lime Green Tangerine, with respect no thank you. I am a designer with 25 years experience and I hold a BAFTA for my work. I will talk with Steve and Todd but will continue to share with you all tirelessly.
Personally, I think your original mock up was superb and would love to see something like that, rather than the generic logo etc. if owned/designed by the club.