Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

Devil_Abroad

His ECHL stats are fantastic. His AHL stats start phenomenal before decreasing but you don't play that many games at that level if you're not a good player.

So that's our 1st line sorted. Hopefully Asselin will be confirmed as returning to complete our 2nd line. Which would mean Faryna and Lord on our 3rd line!!!!
Great stats compared to Saviano and Foster when in Bolzano 2015-2016 in the EBEL, however his stats doesn't compare to the now retired Leavitt whilst on the same roster at Aalborg Pirates in Denmark a few years earlier 2013-2014. Interesting.

He was at Valpellice Italy 2014-2015 joint top scorer - his captain was Trevor Johnson! He was third in scoring even though a D! And guess who played 4 games too that season scoring 2+1 - David Brine!

It will be interesting to see how he links up with Benti and Martin

Finny

Geeky time sorry:

A couple of years ago I created a spreadsheet that calculated the number of goals a player would score based on their record in previous leagues. Bar one or two exceptions it's proved to be pretty accurate. Pope looks like he might be one of the exceptions as his scoring is quite varied:

AHL stats predict around ~ 16 goals.
Denmark and Italy stats both predict around 22 goals.
ECHL stats predict around 32 goals.

Usually the ECHL stats prove to be the most accurate. Pope is slightly different to most players who come to the EIHL though as he's played a lot more AHL than ECHL.

In my 'dream team' lineup to play alongside Benti and Martin I was hoping for a power-forward winger who could score as well as hit and had good AHL experience. I'd assumed that the spot was going to be taken by Faryna but Pope fits that bill perfectly.

Two years ago we pretty much relied on Martin's line for the goals.
Last year we had two lines that produced goals on a regular basis.
Now, assuming Asselin returns, we are almost guaranteed to have three lines with 20+ goalscorers on. 2 years ago Morissette and Lord were on our 1st line and arguably the best line in the league. Now we're asking if they'll be 3rd or 4th line!!!

As someone else mentioned before, I too am wondering if we might see Lord play as a centre so we can bring in and out and out enforcer on the wing.
Either way, we're looking very strong throughout the lineup.

Devil_Abroad

Geeky time sorry:

A couple of years ago I created a spreadsheet that calculated the number of goals a player would score based on their record in previous leagues. Bar one or two exceptions it's proved to be pretty accurate. Pope looks like he might be one of the exceptions as his scoring is quite varied:

AHL stats predict around ~ 16 goals.
Denmark and Italy stats both predict around 22 goals.
ECHL stats predict around 32 goals.

Usually the ECHL stats prove to be the most accurate. Pope is slightly different to most players who come to the EIHL though as he's played a lot more AHL than ECHL.

In my 'dream team' lineup to play alongside Benti and Martin I was hoping for a power-forward winger who could score as well as hit and had good AHL experience. I'd assumed that the spot was going to be taken by Faryna but Pope fits that bill perfectly.

Two years ago we pretty much relied on Martin's line for the goals.
Last year we had two lines that produced goals on a regular basis.
Now, assuming Asselin returns, we are almost guaranteed to have three lines with 20+ goalscorers on. 2 years ago Morissette and Lord were on our 1st line and arguably the best line in the league. Now we're asking if they'll be 3rd or 4th line!!!

As someone else mentioned before, I too am wondering if we might see Lord play as a centre so we can bring in and out and out enforcer on the wing.
Either way, we're looking very strong throughout the lineup.
Pretty good analysis and summary. I was also intrigued at how varied his performance has been in the leagues he has played; but then it depends on his line mates and style required by the coach.

I'm also confident he has the all round 'power' forward attributes to excel on our first line.

Well done Lord & Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

Or maybe, and this is a bit left field, we will re-sign both Hothams and run with 5 import D and Richie. Meaning both Batch and Moore play mostly as forwards unless a D man sits. It certainly gives us a greater flexibility with the spare import (which I think we will have).

The longer time goes on the less convinced I am that Scott Hotham will retire. After a long, distinguished career I just can't see him retiring without even mentioning it. I certainly can't see him play in the East Coast, it doesn't suit his family life. Same for Andrew Hotham, he hasn't signed anywhere yet, if he was going to retire we would've heard about it, and he would be flying in in just 3 weeks. If he was going elsewhere we'd of heard by now. Both are back I think.

Last edited:
Or maybe, and this is a bit left field, we will re-sign both Hothams and run with 5 import D and Richie. Meaning both Batch and Moore play mostly as forwards unless a D man sits. It certainly gives us a greater flexibility with the spare import (which I think we will have).

The longer time goes on the less convinced I am that Scott Hotham will retite. After a long, distinguished career I just can't see him retiring without even mentioning it. I certainly can't see him play in the East Coast, it doesn't suit his family life. Same for Andrew Hotham, he hasn't signed anywhere yet, if he was going to retire we would've heard about it, and he would be flying in in just 3 weeks. If he was going elsewhere we'd of heard by now. Both are back I think.

Based on nothing and entirely my own thoughts... scott Hotham has signed back, Andrew Hotham hasnt. Its been purposely witheld and Andrew Hotham is a very popular player and him going would affect season ticket sales. I reckon Andrew Hotham has signed overseas but its been agreed not for any party to announce it until the devils full roster is announced. Remember also that piggsie, CJ and Bordeleau havent been announced anywhere yet its obvious they probably arent returning

ASHIPP

In seasons past, Andrew has been one of the very last players announced to the roster so there is still hope out there.

Players can be signed throughout the season up to official deadline - some take longer to decide on options -just because they are not announced means there is as much chance they have signed somewhere else. Hoping,of course, that this is not the case and we will be welcoming Andrew and Scott back.

A very early off-season article (think it was WalesonLine) with comments from the Club virtually implied that CJ and Piggsie would not be back, because of the roster limitations for British players due to new U23 rule.

Last edited:

Wagstaff

Based on nothing and entirely my own thoughts... scott Hotham has signed back, Andrew Hotham hasnt. Its been purposely witheld and Andrew Hotham is a very popular player and him going would affect season ticket sales. I reckon Andrew Hotham has signed overseas but its been agreed not for any party to announce it until the devils full roster is announced. Remember also that piggsie, CJ and Bordeleau havent been announced anywhere yet its obvious they probably arent returning
I would have thought that if he had signed anywhere else, his new team would want to announce it and wouldn't care what Devils want so unless he's announced elsewhere I would think he's either signed to you or nobody

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

I would have thought that if he had signed anywhere else, his new team would want to announce it and wouldn't care what Devils want so unless he's announced elsewhere I would think he's either signed to you or nobody
I like this, suggests he's back.

If we use the same thought process with Bordy.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bb1

I can't see Bordy being back. As much as I liked him I would like to see a younger hungrier guy like that of Clans Jacob Doty.

Having said that there are guys out there that may well come here with a different approach and not hesitate to drop the gloves.

Guys like Gallant, Tarnasky and Tristan Grant.

Who knows.

Wagstaff

I like this, suggests he's back.

If we use the same thought process with Bordy.......
Suggests the same thing, but possibly the other outcome is more likely, although once it's decided 100% you would like to think he would say thanks to the best fans and the best city and club for making him feel so welcome and loved his time as a surrogate Welshman...... at least that's what leaving Coventry players do ;)

Devil_Abroad

Suggests the same thing, but possibly the other outcome is more likely, although once it's decided 100% you would like to think he would say thanks to the best fans and the best city and club for making him feel so welcome and loved his time as a surrogate Welshman...... at least that's what leaving Coventry players do ;)
They loved their time as surrogate Welshmen? I know we were kicked out centuries ago but.... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voth26

It might just be me but normally Lordo does an Ice time Tv interview about the new signing, but unless I've missed it I can't seem to find anything in the usual places!! If anyone does have a link be great if they could post it, cheers