2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

bb1

Been hoping and praying we'll sign this guy, I've mentioned him on here this off season numerous times. The guy is as you said above an absolute machine.
Gallant would be superb but the only thing that would worry me is if he'd be willing to fight like he has at this level.

2 reasons I ask this.....Firstly we expected more of the rough stuff from a Bordy and Mcgrattan but they came here with nothing to prove. Would B.Gallant have the same attitude???... who knows. His younger brother Alex is only 24 and he may have been the better option but he's resigned in AHL.

Secondly B.Gallant I believe has collapsed twice on bench during games so will he want to risk his health at this level?

For me the best enforcer signing is Jake Doty. Young, hungry and will have something to prove. A guy like him will be hugely cheaper than guys like Bordy, Big Ern and Gallant. That would leave money for one of our imports to be of even higher calibre or we could even have a young enforcer with 2 more imports.....just a thought.

I would be over the moon with a guy like Gallant but there are plenty of young hungry enforcers out there that want to prove themselves.

bb1

Mathers, Nevins and Doty are 3 hotshots in AHL/ECHL last few seasons and all under 24.

Good signing by Clan.

Mathers is a good pal of Dougies I think.

Devil94

Mathers I'd be very happy with if we went down that route. Scored 29 in an OHL season and 12 last year in ECHL, so can play a bit. And I'm sure he wouldn't think twice about fighting over here.

But I can't see us going down that route this year. As had been said elswhere, we had the least number of fights last year and won 3 trophies. And we dont need a tough guy as a franchise player anymore. I can see Lordo spending the budget on high quality point scoring forwards for the top lines instead.

Wannabe2

On the other hand we only had the least amount of fights because no one wanted to start trouble with Bordy in the team, he may not have done much physical wise, but he was a deterrent. Without him it very well could have been a very different story. If teams think they can bully us, then they surely will try. I am bias I know, I do want a tough cookie in our team like many many others. If we end up with Martin, Ulmer, Asselin , Bentivolio, Haddad, Hotham, Lord, Morissette, and Faryna for goals, then surely we have a space for One Tough Animal.

Devil94

I agree that no one wanting to go with Bordy was a factor, but it wasn't just with us, fights were down across the whole league.

Team toughness is often talked about, and I think we have plenty of it. Faryna will go with anyone, so will Lord, Louis, Batch, and we have Paris, Haddad and even Myers to an extent to back them up, plus the possibility of A Hotham returning.

Jonesy83

On the other hand we only had the least amount of fights because no one wanted to start trouble with Bordy in the team, he may not have done much physical wise, but he was a deterrent. Without him it very well could have been a very different story. If teams think they can bully us, then they surely will try. I am bias I know, I do want a tough cookie in our team like many many others. If we end up with Martin, Ulmer, Asselin , Bentivolio, Haddad, Hotham, Lord, Morissette, and Faryna for goals, then surely we have a space for One Tough Animal.
Completely with you on that, we'll have one hell of a lot of fire power from the players that you've mentioned, a tough cookie a la a Bordeleau style player is a must in my eyes.

Mathers has enough ability to play and score in the EIHL. A player that can score goals, throw hits and mix it up when required. Last season we missed having a player who would go after anyone that took liberties. Whilst not the best player, you knew with Hendrikx that if someone was dishing it out or trying to start a fight then he would step up to the plate every time. Remember when westgarth was hitting Culligan and Hendrikx through himself in the way to take the hits? Would any of last years roster done that? Not suggesting we need a goon but we do need a guy that takes pride in looking after his team mates

Personally, I can't wait for the out and out enforcer role to be completely extinct from hockey. It feels like an old tradition that is just clinging on by a thread... several gritty, tough guys that aren't afraid to throw big hits ... hopefully that the way we are headed. With faryna, batch, lord, And especially Louis, who isn't afraid to fight anybody, we should be good to go without wasting big bucks on dead weight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I can't wait for the out and out enforcer role to be completely extinct from hockey. It feels like an old tradition that is just clinging on by a thread... several gritty, tough guys that aren't afraid to throw big hits ... hopefully that the way we are headed. With faryna, batch, lord, And especially Louis, who isn't afraid to fight anybody, we should be good to go without wasting big bucks on dead weight....

I think its going that way anyway, though I would argue its been a while since we have had an outright goon. Whilst Bordeleau only made it to the NHL because of his fighting, there was still more to his game

I think its going that way anyway, though I would argue its been a while since we have had an outright goon. Whilst Bordeleau only made it to the NHL because of his fighting, there was still more to his game
Arguably Bordy had much more about him than somebody like Klotz, for example. I'd rather see the clubs money spent on a high end sniper than a mcgratten/bordy type player, who charges $$$ just for the ex-NHL'er label. The obvious benefit of having these guys come to the EIHL, however, is that they raise the profile of the game in the UK... swings and roundabouts.

ASHIPP

The Giants have just upped the game by signing Jonathan Ferland from Vienna. A tough leader and gifted point scorer - would have been an excellent addition to Devils' first line. A really fantastic signing.
Wow, well played Giants!

Hope the Devils have a Kyle Wilson/Evan McGrath type player in mind. Or someone with Andrew Kozek's ability but a bit taller/tougher.

Last edited:

zoesdevil

Really? Am I missing something?
His NCAA stats are quite poor pointswise. I have no idea what the Danish 2nd division is like but his stats in the top Danish league would suggest only around 22 goals.
Put it this way, Stuart Macrae got 26 points (9 goals) in 40 games in Danish top league & we all know how good he was in this league, Spiro got 31 points with 19 goals!

Put it this way, Stuart Macrae got 26 points (9 goals) in 40 games in Danish top league & we all know how good he was in this league, Spiro got 31 points with 19 goals!
To be fair, the standard of our league has improved no end since the Macrae days! - That guy looks like he will do a job, but I would be surprised if he ends up being anything other than average in this league. Obviously you do unearth the odd hidden gem, but looking at his previous stats, nothing suggests he will be a stand out player to me. As finny pointed out, his NCAA stats in particular are very poor. - I wouldn't have taken him here!

Ocko

The Danish league isn't the league it was (they havr a salary cap now) and the EIHL has improved a lot in the past few years. The guy who led the Danish league for points scoring almost 40 more than this guy wasn't even a point a game player in the ECHL.

He looks alright but not a top line player, even at Coventry, let alone a top club.